Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New member, new Z4

First port of call for new members
steve69

New member, new Z4

Post by steve69 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:27 pm

Evening all,

So i've been lurking the forum for a while now for tips and tricks, thought it to be about time that I got involved.

I passed about a year and a half ago, drove a tonne of rental vehicles since and finally bought the car of my dreams and nabbed myself a 2006 z4. It's the e85 2.0l / n46 engine. I'd have loved the 3.0 6cyl but insurance companies had a different idea. I love her, she's my mistress, she's beautiful. To be honest with my skill level, she's around about perfect for the time being, the 3.0 might have killed me.

She's got the cup holders, automatic top, auto-dimming rear view, AC, brushed allu interior, I'd have liked the heated seats but I had to grab what I found on the market.

First purchase for her was a XS waterproof half-cover save the soft top too much dodgey weather exposure, pretty nasty here in bristol over the winter. Then took her for a full service as after purchasing I realised the past 2 service stamps happened to be a bit dodgey, turns out it's a company that doesn't exist. Also paid for a transmission oil change for peace of mind as couldn't see in 114k history. Service showed coil spring and break line errosion but only as advisories, also oil sump corroded and leaking around seal, so looks like that'll need replacing but no leakage onto the road or anything. and finally it looks like shes heading towards needing new break discs. Nothing too terrible I don't think given her age and milage, shes MOT passable and I got a gooood deal on her.

She drives well, sometimes notchy going into 1st and 2nd, but that seems common on this model. Park her in-gear on steep hills though as she likes to roll on the handbreak but that seems to be fine according to the garage, not unusal?

Anyway, I'll be treating her nice, she'll have her alloys refurbed soon! I can tell they've seen a few curbs :( After everything else is sorted I'll be looking to get the roof motor moved (if it's not done already as it works flawlessly), a DLV exhaust mod and investigate moving away from the horrible horrible halogen headlights, can't see a thing and it really ages the modern look!

Probably a bit of TL;DR but to sum it up, z4... Gooood. Peace! :thumbsup: :fuelfire:
Attachments
20230920_180141.jpg
20230920_180141.jpg (212.25 KiB) Viewed 435 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New member, new Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:35 pm

Welcome aboard! Looks a nice motor.
If you can’t see the roof motor in the left front corner of the boot then it’s not been moved.
Luckily for you, the forum’s most experienced roof motor mover is Number5, and he lives in Bristol!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

New member, new Z4

Post by Number5 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:43 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:35 pm Welcome aboard! Looks a nice motor.
If you can’t see the roof motor in the left front corner of the boot then it’s not been moved.
Luckily for you, the forum’s most experienced roof motor mover is Number5, and he lives in Bristol!
She looks well in that photo.
I'm always happy to help with roof issues. Just drop me a PM whenever you're ready. (Im in North Bristol, by the M4/M5)
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New member, new Z4

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum Steve. :thumbsup:

Your notchy gearchange could possibly be improved by getting the Clutch Delay Valve removed next time you get your brake fluid changed, and yes ineffective handbrakes aren't unusual on most BMWs.

The Halogen headlamps aren't great, especially if you've been used to driving newer cars with something better. I think a cheap option is to fit better bulbs, something like Osram Nightbreakers or Philips do a brighter one as well, although I don't know how much brighter they are.

At least you shouldn't have any roof problems!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

DMike

New member, new Z4

Post by DMike » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:28 pm

Great intro Steve, welcome to the forum!
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New member, new Z4

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:41 pm

Welcome to the board Steve. Fine looking Z4 you found there. 8) :thumbsup:

steve69

New member, new Z4

Post by steve69 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:07 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Will definately drop you a pm number5, also north bristol, useful! It'll be after christmas though, i'm sure you know how it is.

RE: CDV removal Tidy, I like the idea of this, research seems to point to this being an all around good choice but thing is im still getting used to rev matching & blipping the throttle on the down change... Want to practice and get used to heel-and-toe, thinking the CDV for the time being while i practice might be doing my clutch some good for when i f* it up

I'll give the philips bulbs a try, seem to have a better failure rating than the nightbreakers.. will report back!

Cheers people!

TOMGREEN413

New member, new Z4

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:33 am

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking Z :thumbsup:
Your first post got me a little worried for a minute.........when you said you'd "passed about a year and a half ago ", I was beginning to think we had so kinda PHANTOM member chatting from beyond the grave. :rofl:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

steve69

New member, new Z4

Post by steve69 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm

Posting for a URL for my new signature.
Attachments
Signature.jpg
Signature.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 131 times