Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Misfire after sitting for six weeks

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
perttu

Post by perttu » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:15 pm

I stored the car for winter about six weeks ago. Today, I had to move the car. When starting the engine, it immediately misfired. I first let it idle, then put on a slight throttle and after couple of minutes things were smooth again. Fault codes stated misfire in two cylinders, but they didn't come back after clearing the codes and letting the car run. No misfires before this.

I'm not very worried for now, but what could cause this?

Spark plugs were changed about a year ago, the coils are original (2003). When rebuilding the CCV last winter, I noticed that the idle control valve flap was a bit stuck. I cleaned it and the flap moved fine again. Maybe it got stuck again, I wonder if the ICV can cause misfires?
”Buy a BMW Z4, they zed. It’ll be fun, they zed.”

E85 3.0i 2003 Black Sapphire
Tesla Model 3 Performance

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:28 pm

I doubt the ICV would only cause misfires in two cylinders.
Possibly damp highlighting a couple of weak coil packs, or slight leaks from the injectors on those cylinders.
Maybe leave it again then pull the plugs and see if those two are wet.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:28 pm

Sticking valves, moisture, or unburnt fuel could cause the misfire. My general rule is at least a six-mile journey to get things flowing!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:28 pm I doubt the ICV would only cause misfires in two cylinders.
Possibly damp highlighting a couple of weak coil packs, or slight leaks from the injectors on those cylinders.
Maybe leave it again then pull the plugs and see if those two are wet.
I concur….
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: