Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why do you like your E89?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:03 am

IRD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:52 pm Thanks for that info. Might try it.
"golf tee mod" Ian. Loads of threads about it on here.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:05 am

Phoenixboy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:06 pm
IRD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:36 pm
Phoenixboy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:11 pm
did you find the 4 pot sound noticeably different from your 35is in terms of enjoyment with the roof up or down?
Yes, both. As soon as you start the 3.5is you hear the lovely burble/growl sound, even with the roof up. With the 2litre there is nothing like that and there is little sound even when you accelerate hard. But on the positive side the car is lighter and much more nimble than the 3.5is. Re-mapped it is really quick and quite economical and I enjoy the manual gear box too.
I might consider a replacement exhaust system in the course of time. Bit I don’t want anything too loud or too expensive to buy.
thanks for that mate.
its the one thing that makes me think i would miss the 6cyl noise.
love the 89, dont want the potential issues from the 35i/s, and there lies the problem...
it sounds a small thing, but we have these cars for lots of reasons, and the sound is a big part of it for me.....
It is a difficult decision. I do understand where you are coming from. My 3.5is had only covered 44000 miles but I was concerned about possible problems in the future. In a way it was spoiling my enjoyment of the car. So I sold it. Then of course I missed it. The current car is a compromise in some ways but overall it is more pleasant and comfortable to drive. So you ‘pays your money and makesj your choice’.👍

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:07 am

Pondrew wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:03 am
IRD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:52 pm Thanks for that info. Might try it.
"golf tee mod" Ian. Loads of threads about it on here.
Ah! Remember that now. Thanks Andy.

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:49 am

IRD wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:05 am
Phoenixboy wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:06 pm
IRD wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:36 pm Yes, both. As soon as you start the 3.5is you hear the lovely burble/growl sound, even with the roof up. With the 2litre there is nothing like that and there is little sound even when you accelerate hard. But on the positive side the car is lighter and much more nimble than the 3.5is. Re-mapped it is really quick and quite economical and I enjoy the manual gear box too.
I might consider a replacement exhaust system in the course of time. Bit I don’t want anything too loud or too expensive to buy.
thanks for that mate.
its the one thing that makes me think i would miss the 6cyl noise.
love the 89, dont want the potential issues from the 35i/s, and there lies the problem...
it sounds a small thing, but we have these cars for lots of reasons, and the sound is a big part of it for me.....
It is a difficult decision. I do understand where you are coming from. My 3.5is had only covered 44000 miles but I was concerned about possible problems in the future. In a way it was spoiling my enjoyment of the car. So I sold it. Then of course I missed it. The current car is a compromise in some ways but overall it is more pleasant and comfortable to drive. So you ‘pays your money and makesj your choice’.👍
yes, know exactly what you mean, the 35i/s seems the obvious choice, possibly with a bmw warranty?
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:38 pm

It’s a funny thing car choice. I chose a 3.0 rather than a3.5is as one came along at the right time etc. if I had really known about the 3.5 is “needs” then I might have steered away completely. However we need to put the “faults” into perspective (even if they do appear to be more needy than the subsequent b58 engined cars). Broadly with all high performance cars (not talking EV here) you need to expect outlay for routine repair (not just service). Many just accept it, sone come on forums like this to get help, sone ignore it completely and the car heads quietly to the tip. I have just bought a 15 year old Z4MC and realise that it might just be the most expensive decision in my life in that it is INCREDIBLY needy. I expect £1000 a year repairs minimum per year outside of normal dining costs and that’s with a very low mileage car. That’s the trouble with older motors - they break down
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:45 pm

I have to echo Clives comments.

I have had my 35i for a month now and i love it but .......

If hear so many bad stories regarding the N54, that if i had known them all before, i may have steered clear and went for a 2.5 (there was no compromise on the straight 6). However the one i bought was from the forum and had excellent history and records of a lot of the issues being replaced already (not to say they cant go again).

If it happens then so be it, the wife will moan at me but ultimately i will repair it and either move it on or just carry on, only time will tell.

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:15 pm

I think Ray and Clive are absolutely correct in their assessments. We are all different as individuals have different priorities and our financial circumstances vary. All of these things affect the decisions we make. But we are lucky if we are in a position when we can choose.
I certainly enjoyed my 3.5is. It gave me a huge amount of pleasure and I have no regrets about buying the car. But time moves on and so priorities change. I am really happy with my current 2litre. But I have had close to 80 cars over the years so that may well change again. Indeed I have just placed an order for a new model JCW Countryman to arrive March 2024 to replace the current daily. 🤨

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:50 pm

If you want to, you can make a good case for not buying ANY car with ANY engine. Thanks to t'internet there is so much information about everything. When it comes to cars most of the information is only the negatives, as that's what people want to know.

When it comes to Z4s, if you want to listen to all the negatives, the only one to buy would be the N52 because these are regarded as 'bulletproof', despite being prone to oil leaks, fuel pump failures, water pump failures, etc, etc.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:17 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:50 pm If you want to, you can make a good case for not buying ANY car with ANY engine. Thanks to t'internet there is so much information about everything. When it comes to cars most of the information is only the negatives, as that's what people want to know.

When it comes to Z4s, if you want to listen to all the negatives, the only one to buy would be the N52 because these are regarded as 'bulletproof', despite being prone to oil leaks, fuel pump failures, water pump failures, etc, etc.
You are spot on there Pondrew.

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:59 pm

I think the point we are all making is that all z4s (as with most cars) have items that need replacing at routine intervals- not always often but when the time comes. The issue really is that the reason that expensive cars become cheap is that they cost a lot to repair after ten years old and many are tempted by the cheap purchase price but then wonder why their 12 year old whatever needs money spent on it. If you want trouble free and relatively cost free motoring buy a Dacia. BMWs might be costly to repair but no worse than other main manufacturers and they aren’t any less reliable on the whole.
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:00 pm

When I say Dacia I mean any modern runabout with a massive warranty
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:10 pm

CliveN wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:59 pm I think the point we are all making is that all z4s (as with most cars) have items that need replacing at routine intervals- not always often but when the time comes. The issue really is that the reason that expensive cars become cheap is that they cost a lot to repair after ten years old and many are tempted by the cheap purchase price but then wonder why their 12 year old whatever needs money spent on it. If you want trouble free and relatively cost free motoring buy a Dacia. BMWs might be costly to repair but no worse than other main manufacturers and they aren’t any less reliable on the whole.
All the above is true..but..

What catches people out is the unscheduled big ticket items that they (at the time of purchase) were unaware of..

So on N20s its the pre 2015 cam chain sub system

On N54s its adaptive dampers, HPFP, injectors, turbos, and heavier wear n tear on plugs /coils / brakes etc

The N52s do have common issues with the others like OFHGs, water pumps, cam box leaks..but they don't have the unique features of early N20s and all N54s..

Of course every version has the roof related issues sooner or later.

How that compares to early Boxsters, SLKs and other similar class roadsters I don't know..I hear horrifying tails of costs on Porksters but whether that's rumour or fact I don't know.

FWIW on the N20 vs N54 debate, I do agreed that the sound of the N54 on the charge is a great sound..I found the N20 with a sports cat downpipe made a perfectly acceptable sound in its own right.

If I re-wrote history I would have stayed with my N20 powered E89 rather than bite the bullet of the 35is..

Not sure what I would have done with the months of effort and thousands spent otherwise..but you can't go back.

For sure the N20 is a much nicer handling car than the N54s and as been said, wih a re-map all you would ever need for a UK road..even in the north of Scotland.

However both my cars have been a joy to look at and drive..nothing has since come by that temps me..apart from an early F-Type

The Z4 community seems like a great group, with precious little of what folks tell me about some other manufacturer's clubs.

That all adds to the Z4 experience be they Z3, E85/E86,E89 or G29. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:50 pm

My 35is. No need for an amazing sound system as the sound of the engine is a joy to behold. Saying that since the roof broke (and from what I understand is they will all go that way unless one is extremely lucky) it has sat in my garage looking very pretty but no more than that. I stupidly went and bought a 2012 TTS ( okay okay.. :D ) but I can kick the sh*t out of it and it feels solid as a rock. Spring time 35is will be back on the road I'm sure. Hopefully, I will fall in love with it again.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:51 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:10 pm What catches people out is the unscheduled big ticket items that they (at the time of purchase) were unaware of..
On N54s its adaptive dampers, HPFP, injectors, turbos, and heavier wear n tear on plugs /coils / brakes etc
The N52s do have common issues with the others like OFHGs, water pumps, cam box leaks..but they don't have the unique features of early N20s and all N54s..
[...]
Hmmmmmm...... :cry:

It would be fair to an E89 if you would separate the general topics (engine & co) from roadster-specific topics.
For example, every other vehicle from the BMW Cosmos has the same engine problems.

What remains with the E89 is age-related wear and tear and, in my opinion, no design errors.
The roof wears out just like the brakes. No longer.

And of course, no one expects this wear and tear. But that is unrealistic dreaming. :driving: :rofl:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:36 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:51 pm
B21 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:10 pm What catches people out is the unscheduled big ticket items that they (at the time of purchase) were unaware of..
[...]
Hmmmmmm...... :cry:

It would be fair to an E89 if you would separate the general topics (engine & co) from roadster-specific topics.
For example, every other vehicle from the BMW Cosmos has the same engine problems.

What remains with the E89 is age-related wear and tear and, in my opinion, no design errors.
The roof wears out just like the brakes. No longer.

And of course, no one expects this wear and tear. But that is unrealistic dreaming. :driving: :rofl:
Whilst engine issues are generic to the BMW wider fleet as you say, I think the line of the conversation is not comparing the E89 to other non roadster BMWs but to other 'roadster' type alternatives..of which I know nothing..as my entry into roadsters was the E89 and my exit out will be E89s..!
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: