Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help me with my new suspension please....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:23 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:06 pm Thanks - I've started to add items to the Autodoc trolley....I'm currently sitting at £520 :?
And even then I'm not sure I have everything...........let me add what I think I need and then put it up here.

I'd like to be able to build the new struts whilst the car is still moveable, so ideally I can't transfer any parts over.
Therefore, in addition to these...anything else needed?
Struts
top mounts
bump stops
dust covers
knuckle bolts for the front.
If you want to build first then you need more for the front. Springs, top spring plate, upper and lower rubber spring seats, washer that goes between the spring plate and the top mount, and the dust cover cup that goes over the bearing in the base of the top mount.
Best bet for most of those is to get the part numbers from Realoem then look for them on the genuine BMW eBay site.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:31 pm

And for the rear you’ll need the lower cup washers below the top mount and the small washer below that.
But tbh, stripping old rear shocks and building up the new ones takes about five minutes each

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:37 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:06 pm Thanks - I've started to add items to the Autodoc trolley....I'm currently sitting at £520 :?
And even then I'm not sure I have everything...........let me add what I think I need and then put it up here.

I'd like to be able to build the new struts whilst the car is still moveable, so ideally I can't transfer any parts over.
Therefore, in addition to these...anything else needed?
Struts
top mounts
bump stops
dust covers
knuckle bolts for the front.
You’ll need what’s in the picture to build the struts.
You don’t need 4 until you’ve swapped the strut over
3 should come with the strut
Check if the top mounts come with 2 (x3), you may need to order these separately
You will need 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, none of which are expensive apart from 7 (about £30 each new), but you might a few spares on the forum. Even if you are swapping over, definitely get 6, because they tend to be little discs of rust.
. . . and springs.

If building yourself, you will need at least one pair of spring compressors (I use one pair, but it would certainly be easier with an extra one). Plenty of “how to” advice on here, it’s a satisfying job.
IMG_0025.png
IMG_0025.png (360.53 KiB) Viewed 360 times
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:25 pm

Spent hundreds of pounds tonight with AutoDocs 49% offer.
Got bilstein B4’s, eibach pro springs for all four corners plus a few extra pieces all for £477.
Now having to get the remainder of what I need off eBay and Amazon.
My parts bin for the E86 is slowly building up…….
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Love an Autodoc Xmas delivery 😁

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 pm Love an Autodoc Xmas delivery 😁
Have to know trawl amazon and eBay for a few of rge extras pieces. Annoyingly, the BMW store won’t post to NI, so I’ll have to look at getting some stuff delivered to family in England and have them post it over.

What’s the recommendation on spring compressors?
I’ve heard that you need to be careful as sometimes they don’t compress the spring enough etc.
Anyone advise?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:35 pm

It is a fiddly operation but using good quality ones and taking your time it’s fine.
Removing is easy.
When refitting have the top nut to hand. Compress the spring until you can get the top spring plate on and quickly nip the nut on then relax.
Then you have to swap the compressors so they are hooked over that spring plate and into the spring. Pull everything tighter until you can get the top mount on.
Take care to pull it down straight. Don’t twist the spring to one side.
ALWAYS keep the top facing away from you just in case.
Be sure to fit the bump stop and dust cover before you start. A real pisser to forget that. I know!!!

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:06 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:35 pm It is a fiddly operation but using good quality ones and taking your time it’s fine.
Removing is easy.
When refitting have the top nut to hand. Compress the spring until you can get the top spring plate on and quickly nip the nut on then relax.
Then you have to swap the compressors so they are hooked over that spring plate and into the spring. Pull everything tighter until you can get the top mount on.
Take care to pull it down straight. Don’t twist the spring to one side.
ALWAYS keep the top facing away from you just in case.
Be sure to fit the bump stop and dust cover before you start. A real pisser to forget that. I know!!!
Thanks for the suggestions and things to look out for.
Any pointers as to the actual compressors? I’ve no idea what to look for :?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:51 am

Currently sitting in my local dealership after handing over a decent amount of money for all the remaining pieces. They should be here this week.
Just need to look at compressors and this will allow me to build up all 4 corners completely whilst still driving the car.
The winter to-do list is building up. New suspension, new pads and discs, refurb the calipers, gearbox oil, fix battery drain……
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:05 am

Part of owning these cars, my list is the same. I will sorn the car and put it on the lift in the garage so I can dip in and out when I like over the winter.

Missed out on the 49% deal as I ordered my starter motor last week, about £20 more. C’est la vie

Just ticked over the £11k on spending including the car purchase at 6, so it certainly is not an investment.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:53 am

chanlon1 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:06 pm Any pointers as to the actual compressors? I’ve no idea what to look for
Bigwinn recommended this type to me and I’ve successfully rebuilt several front spring assemblies with it. Loads available on eBay.
Heed Enuff’s warning though, there is a massive amount of energy stored in those springs until they are FULLY unwound.
IMG_0027.png
IMG_0027.png (518.02 KiB) Viewed 251 times
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:32 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:05 am Missed out on the 49% deal as I ordered my starter motor last week, about £20 more.
I almost pulled the trigger with AutoDoc at 41% but then forgot to. When I came back to it, it was at 49%.
I think what I got came to about £470.
Today with BMW, the total was £320.
I could have probably saved a few pennies here and there by getting from eBay etc, but at least I know it’s official BMW parts.
I could also have saved a few quid by just transferring old parts over from the existing struts, but I decided to go all out and refresh everything.
Zedebee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:53 am Bigwinn recommended this type to me and I’ve successfully rebuilt several front spring assemblies with it. Loads available on eBay.
Heed Enuff’s warning though, there is a massive amount of energy stored in those springs until they are FULLY unwound.
Thanks. Will look into these. I’m aware of how lethal these things are. I’ll make sure to point them in the opposite direction :thumbsup:
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:32 pm
pvr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:05 am Missed out on the 49% deal as I ordered my starter motor last week, about £20 more.
I almost pulled the trigger with AutoDoc at 41% but then forgot to. When I came back to it, it was at 49%.
I think what I got came to about £470.
Today with BMW, the total was £320.
I could have probably saved a few pennies here and there by getting from eBay etc, but at least I know it’s official BMW parts.
I could also have saved a few quid by just transferring old parts over from the existing struts, but I decided to go all out and refresh everything.
Zedebee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:53 am Bigwinn recommended this type to me and I’ve successfully rebuilt several front spring assemblies with it. Loads available on eBay.
Thanks. Will look into these. I’m aware of how lethal these things are. I’ll make sure to point them in the opposite direction :thumbsup:
If you don't like the neighbour's cat, now is your opportunity. :evil:

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 pm If you don't like the neighbour's cat, now is your opportunity. :evil:
What….compress a cat…..that’s cruel :roll: :D
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:39 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:25 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:38 pm If you don't like the neighbour's cat, now is your opportunity. :evil:
What….compress a cat…..that’s cruel :roll: :D
Believe me, if you have the space to try it, you can get that top nut to go a fair distance.

Joking aside, when you undo it obviously the springs are already compressed so you are only really holding them in that position.
Invariably the top nut will still be under a little pressure.
I use a socket and ratchet handle to undo it the last few turns, kneeling on the base of the strut and reaching forward. I do not grip the handle, just push it across with fingertips. Don't wrap your thumb around it.
You'll think it was all overkill when you do it, but why risk it.