Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ID4Motion Digital Instrument Display for E89s

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:05 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:44 pm Just watched your YouTube videos Peter

It really modernises it well, nice job 👍🏽
Yes it’s a great combo of classic tailoring in certain areas and a bit of high tech without looking like a video game gone wrong.. :rofl: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:15 pm

It looks nice indeed. Does the skin change when you switch from Comfort to Sport+ ? Or you have to do it yourself ?

Old bean, when are you going to upgrade the jukebox to this century ?
:poke: :poke:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm

Marcoose wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:15 pm It looks nice indeed. Does the skin change when you switch from Comfort to Sport+ ? Or you have to do it yourself ?

Old bean, when are you going to upgrade the jukebox to this century ?
:poke: :poke:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The cluster has ‘triggers’ to change theme’s automatically..there’s a set to engage night mode..and / or timed or headlights on..there’s a set for sport mode..either and / or shift auto lever to sports mode or press sport or sports+…

You can change themes on the BC button in real time but only stationary..

I’m staying in the 70s / 80s with just the odd transit into the 21st century..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:02 am

Looking really good :thumbsup: :driving:
It's just a shame it's so much faff to get it installed. For the price point, the amount of hacking that's involved really is a poor show on their part in the design, it should have been designed specifically for the E89.

But saying that, it really looks good, well done on getting it completed :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:28 am

B21 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:31 pm I’d like to give an initial report on the ID4Motion digital cluster now that I’ve driven the car for a few miles.

https://youtu.be/BfiaNa4uGf4?si=iEqaBIcWpi70Kgt9

https://youtu.be/YFth_72r2Cg?si=oiLuwHM3MAM1ULt2

I shot a couple of videos to illustrate it in the car working.

So to address the obvious point..the reflection you see in videos really doesn’t present itself as a driver..yes if you change your focus then you can see a reflection of yourself ..you could address this with a matt overlay they provide …I tried it and yes no reflections but the crispness and clarity of the display is diminished somewhat.

The graphics are truly fabulous, the animations are nice without being tacky..it just oozes class.

After some misunderstanding on my part about the menus I got the unit set up ..there are many configuration options.

I set up a modern take on the traditional E90 cluster for my normal day mode, a night version in a lovely blue for lights on and a more modern later M series style for sports mode. The day versions I didn’t like as much as the night version..you can see both in the videos.

You can only have one sports theme assigned at the moment…so pushing the sport button, left push on the DCT shift or sports+ all trigger the same theme..you can choose that the theme is selected only with either the shift DCT or pressing sport/sport+…I’ve done it with both..

So much pain on the journey..if it had been discussed I’m not sure how that would have influenced my views.

It appears that despite numerous complaints from others that in the E89 the cluster seems to play ok with most of the rest of the car the new Mr 12 Volt MMI box causes more issues with the CIC unit…

So yes, it’s lovely but not without issues..
I just commented on that first video, didnt realise it was you. To be honest my YT profile is more geared at bikes so its not obvious its me either. :rofl:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:00 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:02 am Looking really good :thumbsup: :driving:
It's just a shame it's so much faff to get it installed. For the price point, the amount of hacking that's involved really is a poor show on their part in the design, it should have been designed specifically for the E89.

But saying that, it really looks good, well done on getting it completed :driving:
Yes it is very good but as you say the design means a difficult and demanding installation..I’m sure if the Chinese did it they would have moulded it in plastic not a boxy sharp edged aluminium box that could have been made in a school metalwork class..

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:09 am

Yeah the Chinese one did go in relatively easily, apart from the two bits of plastic that had to be removed.

So how many plasters did you end up using? :rofl: :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:12 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:09 am Yeah the Chinese one did go in relatively easily, apart from the two bits of plastic that had to be removed.

So how many plasters did you end up using? :rofl: :thumbsup:
Funny you should say that..I was counting the scratches and gashes on my hands and wrists..one started to go a bit septic so had to get some Savlon on it..14 in total :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: