Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Donington and winter Z4 track day advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 pm

I've got a track day booked at Donington next week and it's my first winter track day in the Z4 and just looking for a bit of advice re both the car and circuit please.

Is there anything I should be particularly aware of when tracking the Z4 this time of year when it's cold and potentially wet? Running a 3.0i with B12 kit,M3 CSL alignment, Eagle F1 front asymmetrics / rear supersports, front yellowstuff / rear blue stuff pads and performance fluid and braided lines. The brakes overheated on previous summer track days at Bedford but hoping won't be as much of an issue given temperature and layout.

On summer track days I've gone out with standard pressures (F33/R36), checked as soon as I've come in after each session and dropped them back down to F33/R36. I'm assuming the pressures will increase significantly less given the temperature but is this still correct practice and is there anything I should do differently if wet? I'm intending to start with the TC/DSC on but switch it off if/when I get more confident as don't want it eating rear pads.

I've watched track guides of Donington and have two sessions of tuition but would welcome advice from anyone with experience of it, such as curbs to avoid, gears, particular risks etc?

Cheers Jeremy

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:42 am

nothing particular of note... only thing i can say is donington is a great circuit, one of my most enjoyable trackdays i've ever done was donington in february when it was about 2 degrees. though it was dry and sunny, no problem getting heat into the tyres.

if you've got an early E85, you can easily remove the front fog lights and access panel to get some air into the front wheel wells to help with brake temps, though, EBC pads arent the best - though they're probably about in line with the more road biased tyres you're running.

errm... i like to slightly short shift to 4th before the craners, otherwise i'd be doing an awkward gearshift just as the car goes light over the crest of the left. Then drop back to third before the old hairpin, which you can take a lot of inside kerb on and really carry speed all the way up the hill. and depending on the layout you're doing, the esses at the end of the lap are just slightly too fast for 2nd gear - i do use second, but am changing up to third almost immediately on the exit. though again, thats with warm track tyres, second gear might last longer if you're going a tad slower.

other than that, standard trackday stuff. build the speed up over the day, do decent warm up and cool down laps, keep an eye on temps and tyre pressures. have fun!

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:53 am

Just be aware that Donnington is a bit slippery in the wet.
Its directly under the flight path to and from east midlands airport, so seems to pick up a certain amount of aircraft fuel deposits.
Have done numerous track days there on bikes, and its worth being cautious in damp conditions, unless your going to run wets.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 am

Sounds like you've got the bases covered relatively speaking.

I'd say your rear tyre pressures are on the high side - I'd be aiming for 30-32 hot personally both at front and rear.

You have fixed dampers so you have nothing to tweak really - if you had adjustable you'd be wanting to go soft as you can.

Like any day, I'd just start slowly and build into it. You're doing the right thing if you're unsure getting some tuition booked, it'll do wonders for your confidence and also you'll start out by learning the lines properly etc.

As has been said above, there's a little crest just before the turn-in for the last left of Craners (the corner marked '3' on the track map below) - be careful of big throttle adjustments there, a lift or dab of brakes can really unsettle the car.
donington-park-track-map.jpg
donington-park-track-map.jpg (50.03 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Donington is a cracking circuit, I've done several days there in the wet and dry - you'll have a blast!

Pic of my last wet day at Donny, just because :roll:
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0632.jpg
PR_210707_MSVT_DP_EVE_0632.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 am if you had adjustable you'd be wanting to go soft as you can.
Hope OP doesn`t mind me hijacking this post but Ed can you explain to a novice ( me :) ) why to go soft . Is this specific to Donington ? I`m running BC Coilovers . The tracks I have been planning to do are Donington and Anglesey but still havn`t got round to it :roll:

Thanks
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 pm
Ed Doe wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 am if you had adjustable you'd be wanting to go soft as you can.
Hope OP doesn`t mind me hijacking this post but Ed can you explain to a novice ( me :) ) why to go soft . Is this specific to Donington ? I`m running BC Coilovers . The tracks I have been planning to do are Donington and Anglesey but still havn`t got round to it :roll:

Thanks
As I’ve been told a few times, soft in wet / low grip, hard in the dry. Basically the softer the suspension the more of the tyre stays in contact with the road, a bigger contact patch essentially which in the wet or lower grip scenarios is obviously beneficial. There’s a lot more to it than just that, but that’s a fairly basic mantra for casual track day go’ers!
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:30 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55 pm As I’ve been told a few times, soft in wet / low grip, hard in the dry
Ahh right . I misunderstood . I was wondering why to run soft around Donington !! but see now that Ed was relating to just running in the wet :headbang: .Thanks Andy . :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:08 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:30 pm
AndyBeech wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55 pm As I’ve been told a few times, soft in wet / low grip, hard in the dry
Ahh right . I misunderstood . I was wondering why to run soft around Donington !! but see now that Ed was relating to just running in the wet :headbang: .Thanks Andy . :thumbsup:
Not just wet, lot less grip in winter for obvious reasons even if its dry so softer beneficial. Ed might be referring to something specific with the track tbh, I’ve not done Donington before so can’t comment on that but the rule of thumb still stands.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:16 pm

If it's the same as previous years, then be aware that they may delay the start of the session if the track is very cold/icy...until about 11 o'clock in my last trip there (albeit over 5 years ago).

But they shortened the lunch break to make up for it a bit and it dried out nicely for a couple of hours in the afternoon after some left early, which left it very quiet for the obstinate amongst us who stayed.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:24 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 pm
Hope OP doesn`t mind me hijacking this post but Ed can you explain to a novice ( me :) ) why to go soft . Is this specific to Donington ? I`m running BC Coilovers . The tracks I have been planning to do are Donington and Anglesey but still haven't got round to it :roll:

Thanks
Basically what everyone else has said my comments weren't specific to Donington at all :)

For a lower grip surface, you want softer suspension and more roll so you maintain maximum wheel contact with the ground, and also you end up loading up the suspension and tyres more smoothly. All helps use as much of the available grip :)

I've been meaning to do Anglesey for years, maybe 2024!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:38 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:16 pm If it's the same as previous years, then be aware that they may delay the start of the session if the track is very cold/icy...until about 11 o'clock in my last trip there (albeit over 5 years ago).

But they shortened the lunch break to make up for it a bit and it dried out nicely for a couple of hours in the afternoon after some left early, which left it very quiet for the obstinate amongst us who stayed.
i don't understand people who leave trackdays early... i normally have to be dragged kicking and screaming off the circuit, i take great pride in seeing the chequered flag at the end of the day. and the track is normally running best just before the close, its likely the warmest its been all day, and its got the most rubber down - and yet some people leave at 3pm?

even if i had a 4 hour drive home, i'd still stay until 5pm. I've paid my moneys, and since i'm not racing anyone i'm quite happy being out on circuit on my own, nice to have some laps with no traffic!

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:03 pm

brillomaster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:38 pm i don't understand people who leave trackdays early... i normally have to be dragged kicking and screaming off the circuit, i take great pride in seeing the chequered flag at the end of the day. and the track is normally running best just before the close, its likely the warmest its been all day, and its got the most rubber down - and yet some people leave at 3pm?

even if i had a 4 hour drive home, i'd still stay until 5pm. I've paid my moneys, and since i'm not racing anyone i'm quite happy being out on circuit on my own, nice to have some laps with no traffic!
THIS! Totally agree!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:21 pm

The only 3 times I've left early were:
  1. when I lost my rear pads at Oulton Park at 3pm
  2. when I almost ran out of fuel and they'd shut the on-site fuel at Oulton Park
  3. when I realised the metal cords in my tyres where shooting sparks at an airfield event (had the road tyres I'd come on to get back home).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:51 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:24 pm I've been meaning to do Anglesey for years, maybe 2024!
:thumbsup:

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:52 pm

mmm-five wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:21 pm when I realised the metal cords in my tyres where shooting sparks at an airfield event
Thats a great reason :rofl: