Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4M Pre-Cat Temperature Sensor Male Thread Specs

"M" Specific discussion
Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am

Hi all,

Bit of a long-shot but does anyone know what the Pre-Cat Temperature Sensor Thread Type/Size/Pitch/length is for the male thread on the Cat-section?

The thread in question is highlighted below;

Pre-Cat Tem Sensor Thread.PNG
Pre-Cat Tem Sensor Thread.PNG (37.9 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Long story short this has obviously been heatcycled to death on my race-cats and when I came to remove the temp sensor the male thread just twisted and pulled out of the cats(!) Looking to get a replacement welded back in over winter, so I can get these fitted back onto the car :)

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

GT Spec

Post by GT Spec » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am

Ed Doe wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am Hi all,

Bit of a long-shot but does anyone know what the Pre-Cat Temperature Sensor Thread Type/Size/Pitch/length is for the male thread on the Cat-section?

The thread in question is highlighted below;

Pre-Cat Tem Sensor Thread.PNG

Long story short this has obviously been heatcycled to death on my race-cats and when I came to remove the temp sensor the male thread just twisted and pulled out of the cats(!) Looking to get a replacement welded back in over winter, so I can get these fitted back onto the car :)

Thanks in advance!

Ed
Hi Ed,

What race cats are you running and does the car still pass the MOT emissions test? Did they make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
GT Spec
E85 M, Aero Skirts and Hardtop
Schrick 288/280 Cams and Rockers
Karbonius Race Airbox
BMW Motorsport 4.1 FD
Supersprint Full System inc 100 Cell Cats
163M CSL Rims
Bilstein/Eibach B12
Recaro Sportster CS

Diagnostic scanning and coding in Essex

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:39 am

GT Spec wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am Hi Ed,

What race cats are you running and does the car still pass the MOT emissions test? Did they make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
GT Spec
Hi,

Hayward & Scott Race Cats - Link: https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/bmw ... -cats.html

- they're quite old now though. The 'on the record' answer to your second question is 'of course they pass emissions test every year'. If there was an 'off the record' answer to that question I'll let you infer what that might be :roll:
In terms of difference, I bought the car with them fitted, so can't really comment on the before/after.

In terms of noise, the exhaust is otherwise standard, it's a little louder/raspier than normal I'd say, but it's quite subtle, and for me most importantly doesn't put me at risk of any trackday noise limits, and there's no resonance meaning I can travel long distances in the car without feeling like someone is hammer drilling my cranium!
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:

GT Spec

Post by GT Spec » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:07 pm

Ed Doe wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:39 am
GT Spec wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am Hi Ed,

Thanks,
GT Spec
Hi,

Hayward & Scott Race Cats - Link: https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/bmw ... -cats.html

- they're quite old now though. The 'on the record' answer to your second question is 'of course they pass emissions test every year'. If there was an 'off the record' answer to that question I'll let you infer what that might be :roll:
In terms of difference, I bought the car with them fitted, so can't really comment on the before/after.

In terms of noise, the exhaust is otherwise standard, it's a little louder/raspier than normal I'd say, but it's quite subtle, and for me most importantly doesn't put me at risk of any trackday noise limits, and there's no resonance meaning I can travel long distances in the car without feeling like someone is hammer drilling my cranium!
Haha! Understood πŸ˜‰
E85 M, Aero Skirts and Hardtop
Schrick 288/280 Cams and Rockers
Karbonius Race Airbox
BMW Motorsport 4.1 FD
Supersprint Full System inc 100 Cell Cats
163M CSL Rims
Bilstein/Eibach B12
Recaro Sportster CS

Diagnostic scanning and coding in Essex

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:27 pm

Ed Doe wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am Bit of a long-shot but does anyone know what the Pre-Cat Temperature Sensor Thread Type/Size/Pitch/length is for the male thread on the Cat-section?
I replaced my egt last month, pretty sure it was M14. Google says;
Manufacturer Part Number: 11787831624
Connector Color: Black
Thread Diameter: M14
Thread Pitch: 1.5 mm
Tip Width: 7 mm
Wire Harness Length: 615 mm

I's not from an official BMW source but fairly sure that's right. Belt and braces I guess just order one from them, measure it and then send it back. It'll be a uk stock item no doubt so you'll just lose postage on the way back.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:31 pm

If it came off with the sensor, can you not now simply measure the thread on the sensor?
Must be fairly easy to remove that section from the sensor now?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:40 pm

TomK wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:27 pm
Ed Doe wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:20 am Bit of a long-shot but does anyone know what the Pre-Cat Temperature Sensor Thread Type/Size/Pitch/length is for the male thread on the Cat-section?
I replaced my egt last month, pretty sure it was M14. Google says;
Manufacturer Part Number: 11787831624
Connector Color: Black
Thread Diameter: M14
Thread Pitch: 1.5 mm
Tip Width: 7 mm
Wire Harness Length: 615 mm

I's not from an official BMW source but fairly sure that's right. Belt and braces I guess just order one from them, measure it and then send it back. It'll be a uk stock item no doubt so you'll just lose postage on the way back.
I decided earlier this afternoon the sensible thing was to call H&S, who very sportingly have popped a replacement threaded male socket in the post to me foc :) should have just done that in the first place! Thanks for the info all the same Tom!

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:31 pm If it came off with the sensor, can you not now simply measure the thread on the sensor?
Must be fairly easy to remove that section from the sensor now?
In my rush to get it mot ready I swapped an alternative setup on with a new temp probe and bunged the old probe straight in the bin. This was back in June so no chance of lookimg at it now! :(

Spriteracer

Post by Spriteracer » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:36 pm

I use one of these. it covers all the usual metric and unf/unc sizes. Currently about Β£11 from Amazon. Speeds up the trial and error no end !
Attachments
thread checker.gif
thread checker.gif (85.37 KiB) Viewed 369 times
2007 E86 "work in progress"

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:04 pm

Spriteracer wrote: ↑Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:36 pm I use one of these. it covers all the usual metric and unf/unc sizes. Currently about Β£11 from Amazon. Speeds up the trial and error no end !
that's a really useful tool! Thanks will probably get one of those!

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:35 pm

make sure you get the correct part number, Euro and US sensors are different..
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3