Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

mr12volt install - CD changer coding advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:49 pm

Gentlemen, changing the value of CDMM_CHANGER_3 does not give you CDC, it mearly allows the reading of mp3 files. To obtain CDC you need to tell the CAS, NFRM & CIC to look for the CDC in the first place, hence adding 672 to the VO.
And, as I stated earlier, the fact that there is the multiple CD positions, instead of just one, is the tell-tale. So somewhere you've either got to have done it, or it was already there.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:52 pm

Yep, I should have added that was from you. I was just summarising the thread is all.
B21 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:28 pm
fatbaldboy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:25 pm So in summary to my original ask:

You can code the cd changer using bimmercode.

Not sure it's cheapest way but I'm happy.

I bought a fairly (I think) expensive obd adaptor for £85:
https://amzn.eu/d/55tzfja

I bought the bimmercode app for I think around £35.

To add the changer using bimmercode...

From the 'home' screen of the app:
Headunit -> Expert Mode (toggle) -> 3000 HMI
Find CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc
CODE -> START CODING
Err that’s what I told you in reply to your original post…. :tumbleweed: :headbang:

Tips for coding with Bimmercode
Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI
Find CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc
CODE -> START CODING
E89 35i DCT (2009)
Located mainly in SE London and occasionally Hastings

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:54 pm

That's interesting. The only coding I did was the bimmercode change and I definitely didn't have multi-cd before.

It it possible that the bimmercode did that VO change as well - behind the scenes?

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:49 pm Gentlemen, changing the value of CDMM_CHANGER_3 does not give you CDC, it mearly allows the reading of mp3 files. To obtain CDC you need to tell the CAS, NFRM & CIC to look for the CDC in the first place, hence adding 672 to the VO.
And, as I stated earlier, the fact that there is the multiple CD positions, instead of just one, is the tell-tale. So somewhere you've either got to have done it, or it was already there.
E89 35i DCT (2009)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:33 pm

fatbaldboy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:54 pm That's interesting. The only coding I did was the bimmercode change and I definitely didn't have multi-cd before.

It it possible that the bimmercode did that VO change as well - behind the scenes?

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:49 pm Gentlemen, changing the value of CDMM_CHANGER_3 does not give you CDC, it mearly allows the reading of mp3 files. To obtain CDC you need to tell the CAS, NFRM & CIC to look for the CDC in the first place, hence adding 672 to the VO.
VO and thr associated CAS etc are one way..and usually the easy way to change major systems..you can often do things at a more individual level to the same effect..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 pm

OK, so there is something else here that may be the reason....
With CDMM_CHANGER_3 having a value of "cdc_vorbereitung", this translated into English is "CDC Preaeration", so if you had 694 (CDC Prep) then that would have meant that that value would have been there already. So changing it to mp3 would have told it that there was now a CD Changer. Thus I'll assume you have 694 and there being no need to add 672 to the VO. That then means that no other modules know you have CDC, but that's no problem really as they don't need to :D
Problem solved :rofl:
Dave

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:53 pm

That must be it

This site I mentioned in my first post listed the 'options and s694 was on there under multimedia.

So it came prepped.

Mdecoder.com
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 pm OK, so there is something else here that may be the reason....
With CDMM_CHANGER_3 having a value of "cdc_vorbereitung", this translated into English is "CDC Preaeration", so if you had 694 (CDC Prep) then that would have meant that that value would have been there already. So changing it to mp3 would have told it that there was now a CD Changer. Thus I'll assume you have 694 and there being no need to add 672 to the VO. That then means that no other modules know you have CDC, but that's no problem really as they don't need to :D
E89 35i DCT (2009)

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:03 pm

I updated my summary on page 2 to hopefully better reflect the facts.
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:52 pm OK, so there is something else here that may be the reason....
E89 35i DCT (2009)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:09 pm

:thumbsup:
Dave

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:27 am

I struggled with mine when I was preparing for the install - from what I can see, the cd changer wasn't even a purchasable option on the 2016 cars.

But it just worked - so problem solved :)
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:13 pm

I think I read somewhere that later cars were technically prep'd but like you say couldn't actually option one. Be interesting what values your vin shows.
matsmith749 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:27 am I struggled with mine when I was preparing for the install - from what I can see, the cd changer wasn't even a purchasable option on the 2016 cars.

But it just worked - so problem solved :)
E89 35i DCT (2009)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:16 pm

The whole Entertainment side of the Z4 is a very complicated pain. So many options and combinations. I've even thought a few times about doing a video on it all but it starts to become troublesome :rofl:
Dave

fatbaldboy

Post by fatbaldboy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:29 pm

Your videos are such a brilliant resource. If I was closer I'd have asked you to do my mmi install but as it was you enabled me to do it myself (not that my car is back together yet...)
AnubisZed wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:16 pm The whole Entertainment side of the Z4 is a very complicated pain. So many options and combinations. I've even thought a few times about doing a video on it all but it starts to become troublesome :rofl:
E89 35i DCT (2009)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:37 am

fatbaldboy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:29 pm Your videos are such a brilliant resource. If I was closer I'd have asked you to do my mmi install but as it was you enabled me to do it myself (not that my car is back together yet...)
AnubisZed wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:16 pm The whole Entertainment side of the Z4 is a very complicated pain. So many options and combinations. I've even thought a few times about doing a video on it all but it starts to become troublesome :rofl:
Glad you like the videos, and I'm glad they've done what they were supposed to do, which is to give owners information on how to fit something. Unlike most YouTube channels mine isn't there to make loads of money, I make a little bit from the Mr12volt affiliate link which is then ploughed back into making more wacky ideas come true!! :rofl:
I have another 7 videos that really should have come out this year, but alas other far more important projects have got in the way. Hopefully in the new year I'll get back to editing the footage I have and get some of these out pretty soon. :thumbsup:
Dave

Reamesy

Post by Reamesy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:48 pm

Just a learning curve shared. I purchased the latest version with the OEM Mic. I made the mistake of fitting the MIC into the unit Mic input itself instead of the black lead labelled OE Mic. Obvious now but in my hasty approach I plugged it into what appeared the logical. Now my audio to the recipient on calls is crystal :D

I also updated the unit to the lates firmware and uploaded my own custom splash screen instead of the default Mr12Volt logo. I have included the files needed. Just put it in the root of a freshly formatted USB Fat32 no larger than 32GB and reboot.
Attachments
bootlogo.zip
(20.32 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
bootlogo.jpg
bootlogo.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Currently; 2011 E89 23i SDrive M Sport Highline Titan Silver
Previously;
2014 SLK250CDI AMG Sport
2012 E89 SDrive 2.0 M Sport. White
2011 Audi TT Quattro
2006 Z4 2.5 Sport
2013 420D coupe
2002 Z3 2.2 Sport
1996 Z3 1.9

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:13 pm

Reamesy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:48 pm Just a learning curve shared. I purchased the latest version with the OEM Mic. I made the mistake of fitting the MIC into the unit Mic input itself instead of the black lead labelled OE Mic. Obvious now but in my hasty approach I plugged it into what appeared the logical. Now my audio to the recipient on calls is crystal :D

I also updated the unit to the lates firmware and uploaded my own custom splash screen instead of the default Mr12Volt logo. I have included the files needed. Just put it in the root of a freshly formatted USB Fat32 no larger than 32GB and reboot.
Nice logo :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: