Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

This is EXACTLY why I hate car dealers!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:15 am

I'll have some Andrew seeing as I'm a pensioner. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:27 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:59 pm
coldel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:59 pm Ultimately any company that says 'customer first' is just talking out their backsides as 'profit line first' is always the real marker
And that is part of the problem across the board. I have owned a business for over 30 years and have always put customer service first, then doing an exceptional job second; the profit will follow if you do. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered as it doesn't seem to be hurting most businesses.
Pondrew, Don’t change your business formula, it’s the same as mine, the customer is king. Do a good job for one person and more will follow. The problem with these salespersons is that it is not their business and at the end of the day they really don’t care that much, they get paid and go home. I can understand that they only put in the amount of work that they need to to keep their jobs, whereas if you own the business it is your reputation and 30 years of work building it up that is on the line. Someone working for a company is never going to have that kind of commitment.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

coldel

Post by coldel » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:20 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:59 pm
coldel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:59 pm Ultimately any company that says 'customer first' is just talking out their backsides as 'profit line first' is always the real marker
And that is part of the problem across the board. I have owned a business for over 30 years and have always put customer service first, then doing an exceptional job second; the profit will follow if you do. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered as it doesn't seem to be hurting most businesses.
There are different nuances to a sole trader/small business vs a national retailer though. They expect a few complaints here and there but it wont make a jots worth of difference because people will still go and buy from Audi because well its Audi. I've heard dozens of similar stories yet people still go and buy from Audi. However if a smaller local firm develops a similar reputation the damage is much more acute in terms of poor service, in fact it can put them out of business.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

coldel

Post by coldel » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:28 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:53 pm
coldel wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:59 pm I dont blame the guy for just quoting what he knows rather than ditching his lunch hour and getting behind on work doing all the calling around for service history.
For 5 days?
He openly admitted when I first called they were 'as dead as a dodo' in general.
It wasn't the service that was shoddy, it was the complete lack of being interested that the 'Audi Approved' remit was not adhered to with that car. Remember they have had that car for at least 3 months. They have had ample opportunity to look into it.
It wasn't even that that has really got me fuming; it's the increase in price across the board on cars that they haven't sold at the lower price and not even letting me know it was going to happen, which would have been a very good sales pitch as it may have hurried me up!

It is yet another example of people not doing a good job and being utterly blase about it. I am a firm believer that many people earn too much money which makes caring an option.
The irony is that 'carers' work really hard for their minimum wage in conditions that most wouldn't entertain.
The price increase is the bonkers thing, I am totally with you on that. How they can do that during the process and not move on it is crazy given that they were happy to take the profit on the lower price just days before.

Who knows what you are dealing with behind the scenes, maybe he had a customer wanting to buy a 100k car which would have sorted him for the month? But yes, you are dealing with a 19 year old who as far as I can see at that age generally they are more concerned about a night out on the pull on the weekend than sorting out service history for a car at work!

Im with you all the way, customer service is generally pretty average in dealerships, but thats why I tend to try and avoid them.
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:30 am

I wouldn't mind betting the price drops back down Jan as part of a new year sale event, seen this happen a few times and happened when I bought my zed, was looking at one in Brummie's and it suddenly jumped over a grand.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:43 am

I've always found mildly prestige dealerships the likes of BMW, Audi to be pretty average to be honest, don't be fooled by the fancy showrooms. BMWs used approved cars I've always found condition wise to be average to poor with the odd newer car obviously better condition wise but thinking you're getting a good car simply because it's used approved at a supposidly prestige deakership never washes with me. Worst franchises I've experienced have been Vauxhall and Peugeot, Vauxhall especially, customer service was shocking even when buying bew.

Best experience to date is with Hyundai, however not had to use them for warranty work as yet touch wood but for new car sales and servicing haven't been able to fault upto now. Just demonstrates it's not always the badge.

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 am

coldel wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:28 am Im with you all the way, customer service is generally pretty average in dealerships, but thats why I tend to try and avoid them.
If I could buy privately, I would. But I can't, as there are zero cars for sale privately that I want. None. Not one!

That's another problem in my view; the trade have a stranglehold on the car buying industry, so can do what they like. If the car-owning public weren't so lazy and cared a bit more about the money in their pocket (or lack of), more people would sell privately which would create competition for the trade.
I have been genuinely shocked at some of the cars being loaded onto trailers at my local WBAC recently. Many one and two year old cars; how much of a hit are those people taking? All for the trade to make a very good living from them a month later. :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:27 am

And now, of course, if I want a car I have to deal with another lovely car dealer. Not looking forward to THAT! :x
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:38 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 pm All car salespeople 'I have ever encountered' are lazy, arrogant w*nkers!
There are two possibilities here, the above statement is factually correct, or Pondy is a "difficult" customer. :rofl:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:57 am

Scubaregs wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:38 am There are two possibilities here, the above statement is factually correct, or Pondy is a "difficult" customer.
Maybe I am, I don't know. Maybe I expect too much of people. :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 am

First vote is in folks. :lol:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

darich

Post by darich » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:12 pm

Don't get me started on Glasgow Audi!! :rofl: :headbang:
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

coldel

Post by coldel » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:20 am
coldel wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:28 am Im with you all the way, customer service is generally pretty average in dealerships, but thats why I tend to try and avoid them.
If I could buy privately, I would. But I can't, as there are zero cars for sale privately that I want. None. Not one!

That's another problem in my view; the trade have a stranglehold on the car buying industry, so can do what they like. If the car-owning public weren't so lazy and cared a bit more about the money in their pocket (or lack of), more people would sell privately which would create competition for the trade.
I have been genuinely shocked at some of the cars being loaded onto trailers at my local WBAC recently. Many one and two year old cars; how much of a hit are those people taking? All for the trade to make a very good living from them a month later. :roll:
Yes private sales are really down vs historically. A number of reasons I guess, from increase in scams to COVID and the introduction of more online sales and purchases. The tech required to sell has made it so much easier so people are happy to pay the penalty for doing so to avoid having to have the car sat outside potentially for weeks, avoid being scammed, avoid people coming to look and wasting their time, haggling etc.
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

darich

Post by darich » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:29 pm

There's also the financial aspect of it.
Buying from a dealer means the majority of people will drive in with one car and leave with another. Most people wouldn't be able to sell privately and have no car for a period while looking/buying the next one. So it becomes massively more convenient to use a dealer and trade in
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

coldel

Post by coldel » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:35 pm

...and the revision of the CRA which gives you (in theory) many more consumer rights as a buyer, when buying from a dealer.
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z