Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Private pension. I don't understand!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
RAYK47

Post by RAYK47 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:29 pm

All the best N4LLY, hopefully you will respond well to the treatment. Such sad news to hear. :(

Final salary pensions have been as rare as rocking horse shite since 2000 (i joined ICL/Fujitsu in 1999 and missed out on the Final Salary pension by about 6 months), anyone who got one after that is very lucky. Pensions tend to follow the markets and there is a lot that can spook the markets, economic downturns i.e. housing crash, Brexit, war, even US elections can have an impact. The US have a big impact as most trading is done in dollars.

I work for an FX trading company but i am in IT so don't really understand it.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:00 pm

Reading this thread makes me realise how lucky I am having two final salary pensions.

It also makes a mockery of civil servants, NHS and other government employees going on strike quoting how poorly they are paid.

Yes I was paid less per hour than most but when you take into account what I am earning now retired compared to those in the private sector, I have been handsomely rewarded for the work I have done. Those striking for more money who have final salary pensions should be ashamed.

Good luck to all those stressing over their private pensions :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:45 pm

N4LLY, sorry to hear the news, hope everything works out for the best.

Pensions, what a pain in the arse, have cashed in my coal board one at 55, for a private one which seems to have stagnated for the last few years but suddenly jumped about 8% in the last month.

Got a works one running - node where that is right now as I need my statement.

SWMBO has an NHS pension, partially final salary and partially contribution based - they may get a decent pension but they pay a load in, hers is between £450 & £500 a month which is a chunk.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:55 am

N4ALLY wrote:
'Do not think i have to worry any more as started yesterday round one of Chemotherapy for Advanced stage 4.'

This year I've had about 8 weekly chemo treatments, followed by similar course of high intensity radiotherapy, this follows a recurrence of lung cancer following an op, 3 years ago. In hindsight the chemo was OK but after the radiotherapy it seems the damage caused by the treatment is still healing and painful.
Not looking for any sympathy but wanted to follow Mr N4ALLy's praise for the HHS treatment received. It could not have been bettered and not enough publicity is given for the brilliant work that the NHS does.
2.2R Toledo Blue

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:03 am

N4LLY, echoing everyone else really. Thoughts are with you and your family.
A sh*tty Christmas present indeed, but I hope you can all find a way to enjoy it regardless.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 pm

So back to pensions....

I have been keeping a close eye on my (three) private pensions lately.
As of today, they have grown 5% in a month! :o The amounts are now higher than they have ever been and I still don't know why. Maybe the Israelis bombing the shite out of the Palestinians is good for business? :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:14 pm

Yep, mine have done closer to 10% I'd say, though slight dip today.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:48 pm

@N4LLY - leave no stone unturned, investigate medical trials.

My partner was diagnosed with secondary (stage 4) with multiple sites including both lungs, liver etc. in 2020 after initially being treated in 2019.

We found a medical trial, which she met the criteria for, and we travel from Bristol to St Barts every 3 weeks (occasionally 4 weeks) so she can have a chemo/immunotherapy combination treatment. She is doing very well (fingers crossed) 3 years later.

Her initial medical team (including a BUPA consultant) did not offer any information on the trial and had to investigate it after we brought it to their attention - Shocking, but true I’m afraid.

Thoughts are with you :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:57 pm
My largest pension with Zurich doesn't allow me the 25% withdrawal which I don't like.
Not many old schemes set up on this basis, but transferring to a new scheme; Stakeholder / PP / SIP will enable the 25% PCLS option.

SOLLA adviser not required, these advisers have normally passed the long term care exam (CF8) which is straightforward and is not related to pension advice. SOLLA is focused on elderly people and long term care provision typically.

Unless your pension (or other market based investment) is hedged against exchange rates (currency risk) the values may not reflect stock market variations even if in a tracker fund/ETF. For example, you might hold an S&P500 ETF/Tracker and your valuation may drop when the index rises because the £ vs $ may change by more. (The reverse is also true).
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 pm

Oh my gosh :o Thanks's all for your kind words and thought's. Really taken aback.

Will add car and health updates to the Winter workhorse, thread so this can remain pension focused :D

Have dug out the policy numbers / details of the various accounts i hold.
When the Chemo fog clear's will try to make sense of what they are or worth :D

Just wondered, as i 'may' not be able to draw any pension from them, can i cash them in ?? :roll: :lol:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:18 pm

N4LLY wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 pm Just wondered, as i 'may' not be able to draw any pension from them, can i cash them in ??
Maybe. It depends. https://www.gov.uk/early-retirement-pen ... e-pensions
It would be worth contacting your pension provider(s) when you feel up to it and asking the question.

Good luck with the treatment - fingers crossed for you.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:27 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:36 pm As of today, they have grown 5% in a month! The amounts are now higher than they have ever been and I still don't know why.
Do you know what you are invested in?

Inflation numbers have been coming in below expectations leading to markets pricing in interest rate cuts by central banks sooner than previously anticipated. This has caused a widespread rally in equities. The FTSE 100, S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, and Nasdaq are all up over the last month (at time of writing). The increases vary but as a generalisation they've gained mid-single digit percentages which tallies with your 5% observation if you have sizable global equity exposure.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:49 pm

N4LLY wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 pm Just wondered, as i 'may' not be able to draw any pension from them, can i cash them in ??
I thought you could as long as you are over 55 (but I am obviously NO expert otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread! :D ). Only problem is it is then taxable and added to your yearly earnings, which will push most over 40% tax bracket.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:27 pm Do you know what you are invested in?
Nope not a clue! The reply from Martin (true blue) and yourself just confuses me more. I don't do financial speak and have less idea how it all works. I just want to (when I'm ready) transfer all pensions into a single, simple draw-down product which will be as safe as can be.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:54 pm

N4LLY wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:20 pm Oh my gosh Thanks's all for your kind words and thought's. Really taken aback.
There is a real sense of community on this forum (even though it is rarely spoken about). You are in many of our thoughts, Sean! :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold