Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lambda O2 sensor wire melted, no signal

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
markmc

Post by markmc » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:30 am

Hi all, I'm at my wits end with this car currently and hoping for some help / advice.

I'm getting 29A7 Lambda sensor before cat bank 1 - no signal P0134.

After changing the valve cover gasket I didn't notice that the cable to the pre-cat lambda sensor wasn't in place and got slightly melted by the exhaust. I notice it quite quickly as I was checking for codes. A section of the wire was melted. I bypassed this section with some crimps. However I'm still getting the error. Bear in mind I'm clearly not an auto electrician.

Bank 1 sensor sits at 0.43 volts. The bank 2 sensor varies as expected. I have tested swapping the sensor plugs around and bank 2 still works fine.

I checked the fuse for the heater, actually all fuses in the MS45 box. Installed a new sensor. Tested that the heater is actually working.

I see 12V on the heater wire. I think the heater wire is brown and red/white.

On the signal wire, yellow I'm seeing 0.43 to 0.44 volts contantly. When I earth this wire, while the engine is running, I see the voltage drop to 0.00 in INPA. as I would expect. The same behaviour is present on the black cable in the twisted pair. This surprised me. Because i think this should be just an earth. But if the wires were shortling somewhere I'd expect to see 0.00 contantly.

I've tried clearing the codes and resetting the adaptations but the code just returns and the voltage doesn't flap.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Please help :)

markmc

Post by markmc » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:13 am

Just an update.

I think the MS45 DME may have an issue.

What I've done
- verified continuity of the wires between the sensor plug and the x60002 connector
- changed both O2 sensors

No signal in bank 1 pre-cat still exists. Voltage remains on 0.44 constantly, even at operating temperature and driving. Resetting adaptations doesn't help.