Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E 86 /85 DRIVERS WARNING FROM WALES

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:56 am

Okay, so this could have been posted in the Lounge section of the forum but I figured more drivers will see this post here. A close friend of mine recently attended a speed awareness course here in Wales and was given information from the instructor running the course as follows.
From the 1st January 2024 the 20 mph speed limit is going to be rigorously policed using GREY low visibility scam vans and trained local village residents using hand held speed guns. For anyone living outside Wales I can tell you that at least 80% of drivers have been ignoring this 20 mph nonsense since it began but apparently the "acclimatisation period " is over in the new year.......so just a heads up and warning to all.
Perhaps like myself you have been lucky enough to find a large oak leaf has miraculously got stuck to your front n rear number plate :roll:
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:58 am

As a follow on it was my understanding that if a scam van wasn't clearly marked this could be deemed a for of entrapment? :thumbsdown:

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:07 am

Thank God that the Idiot in charge has resigned..Drakford 👎

CliveN

Post by CliveN » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:11 am

I live in England but three miles from Chepstow. I used to go into mid wales for drives and shop in Cardiff. I will now no longer go into wales but will go to Cheltenham and drives in Herefordshire. I will have to go into Chepstow for shopping and to get across the bridge but that’s it now as far as I am concerned. Drakeford means Wales will lose my cash.
Clive N (aka Maria1)
Z4MC
Z4 E89 3.0i MS

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:18 am

Funny how they lower limit from 30-40 to 20 as people drive too fast, then enforce the 20 hard... would be making everyone happier if they were enforcing for the people using the road like a racetrack when it was 30-40 before... :headbang:
This way we would not move at snail speed, hit bumps all over the place and be in fear of daring to get 4th gear in :driving:
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:24 am

Its not entrapment, no one is forcing drivers to break the speed limit. Speed camera vans, cameras, unmarked cars (!!) etc do not need to be distinctively marked or anything but some Police forces choose to do so. There is no law to say they must be marked.

Unitedleeds1919

Post by Unitedleeds1919 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:50 am

It sounds a lot of fun, is this just in towns, villages, and cities? Old 30 or 40 limits now 20? But old 50+ limits stay the same?
Sounds bonkers as a strict 30 surely is ok

Unitedleeds1919

Post by Unitedleeds1919 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:52 am

Rockhopper wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:24 am Its not entrapment, no one is forcing drivers to break the speed limit. Speed camera vans, cameras, unmarked cars (!!) etc do not need to be distinctively marked or anything but some Police forces choose to do so. There is no law to say they must be marked.
I do have to agree as a speed limit is well marked and drivers choice to break it

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:14 pm

It’s very difficult when we are used to everywhere with street lights being 30mph unless signed otherwise to now having a mix of 20 and 30mph. As I said on another thread when I was in South Wales recently I didn’t take any chances and kept to 20 mph everywhere. Also it was easier at that speed negotiating Newport. :D :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:56 pm

The simple solution but maybe not possible for everyone is don’t go to wales and if you live there move out. Soon the coffers at the town hall will run dry and they will have to reverse this draconian decision which now that the idiot who put it in place has left should be done anyway! Alternatively not condoning breaking any laws but there is always this:

https://www.stealthplate.co.uk/
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:06 pm

We live about a mile away from the Welsh border and my other half regularly rides her " Gravel " bike on routes which include roads into Wales so will be interesting to see if she get done for speeding .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:32 pm

I have Welsh relations living in Wales and they seem to be resigned to it. :thumbsdown: I've always loved Wales and the people and had I not been tied to Devon due to work and family I would have loved to move there. Not any more! I think that the summer trade will drop off due to this once word gets around re fines etc and we will be lumbered with even more f'ing grockles in Devon and Cornwall :headbang:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 pm

I go to Cardiff a lot and some of the new 20s are on bits of road that were previously 30s but were actually constructed to the rules of 40+ - high level/multiple traffic light heads, certain width of carriageway, pedestrian barriers, etc. It feels the same as walking along with your shoelaces tied together.

From listening to local radio, we seem to be beset by an endless array of little pressure groups with an unbelievably narrow focus on their pet hate with no grasp of anything approaching a bigger picture. Now that they've all but squashed smoking out of existence (and I've never smoked) somewhere there'll be a bunch of nylon haired nitwits with a beady eye on that bottle of wine you had last week deciding that 750ml is more than enough to last a month.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:21 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 pm I go to Cardiff a lot and some of the new 20s are on bits of road that were previously 30s but were actually constructed to the rules of 40+ - high level/multiple traffic light heads, certain width of carriageway, pedestrian barriers, etc. It feels the same as walking along with your shoelaces tied together.

From listening to local radio, we seem to be beset by an endless array of little pressure groups with an unbelievably narrow focus on their pet hate with no grasp of anything approaching a bigger picture. Now that they've all but squashed smoking out of existence (and I've never smoked) somewhere there'll be a bunch of nylon haired nitwits with a beady eye on that bottle of wine you had last week deciding that 750ml is more than enough to last a month.
God I hope not :headbang:

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:05 pm

Let's face it, it's about control and money making. :thumbsdown: