Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Motor Relocation

Submit How-To's here and the moderators will allocate them to the appropriate section
TheRealMCoy

Roof Motor Relocation

Post by TheRealMCoy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:27 pm

Having spent most of the day wrestling with getting the roof motor out (to relocate into the boot...), I thought I'd share my breakthrough moment; including a few photos that would have helped me... The difference between the first two hours (pre-tooling) and five minutes with the tool in hand.....

This is the angle you see once you've opened up access from the boot... Just the top inch or less deep in the recess
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG (52.9 KiB) Viewed 191 times
This is what you don't see... the fin on the back which is zip tied to the bodywork... Note also the tape line - that's the point where the container comes apart in two...
IMG_1877.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Here's the real interesting bit... The clip on the back, out of sight and quite low down...
IMG_1878.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 191 times
This is the tool I fabricated by the time I'd decided I was just going to rip the top off - the end is sharpened. My original intention was to simply get a grip on the rear of the lid and prise it open. At the time I was not aware of the aforementioned clip...
IMG_1879.jpg
IMG_1879.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 191 times
I think I did manage to get to the clip by chance but would have made the tool a slightly different shape had I known about the clip and its location beforehand.
IMG_1880.jpg
IMG_1880.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 191 times