Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter Motor location on E86 3.0

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:12 am

I can’t see you being able to do it from underneath. I have a little mirror on an extendable pole (like a selfie stick) which with a hand torch is great for a recce before you go in blind.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:56 am

I did mine in December.
I removed the air intake and intake manifold to access the starter (after trying the 'don't need to remove major components' methods without success for several hours), because it was impossible for me to remove the motor from underneath the manifold (Even using the methods described). As long as you are gentle with the manifold it is no major task, took just over an hour and is relatively simple to do. I stuck all the bolts I had to remove into a piece of card with a basic drawing of where they came from on it, so I didn't muddle up where they went back. Take a photo of the inlet valve orientation as well as this is not always clear on rebuild. Also you will need a pair of replacement starter motor bolts as they are single use. There is no access from below as the block and bell housing are directly underneath the starter.
I hope this helps :thumbsup:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 am

Thanks for that, saves me trying to see and waste my time :thumbsup:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:13 am

Thanks for the advice AveZ4Coop.
I guess the next question….easy to remove the manifold?
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:33 am

It is quite easy. Plenty of guides on here for removing the manifold (Basic rundown below). Just be gentle with the plastic components.

Take off the air filter box and inlet pipework. Remove plastic top cover from engine and unplug cabling in way of manifold bolts (Photograph beforehand if unsure of where it goes). Undo the (approx. 10) bolts retaining the manifold to the head (but don't try to remove yet). Undo and remove the 4 bolts on the inlet valve below the manifold. Gently prise of the inlet valve and retain the gaskets. GENTLY prise off the manifold from the head, it will still be retained by some wiring and pipework but will move enough to give you enough room to remove the starter motor.

Refitting is the same in reverse.
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:36 am

To be fair, the NewTIS instructions for N52 does say remove the intake plenum first, whereas for the M54 it doesn’t. Hope this helps (instructions and view of starter motor with plenum removed). Oh, and you need torx spanners for the aluminium bolts.
IMG_0039.png
IMG_0039.png (425.31 KiB) Viewed 259 times
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:15 pm

I did mine the other day, not hard only a bit fiddly if you have big hands
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm

I did PVR's last Friday. Not having done one before I was expecting a struggle.
I ended up removing the air filter box complete back to the front of the sound generator, unplugged a sensor near the front top of the manifold, undid the screw securing the fuel pipe to the rear of the manifold (purely to give another inch of movement), then removed the half dozen bolts and screws securing the manifold. Nothing else needed. This gave me enough room to lift the manifold and reach in from the front to access the electrical connectors and the short mounting bolt. The long bolt was easily rreached from the rear.
Whole job took around 45 minutes which was a pleasant surprise.

Test start and it was completely dead!!

Reconnected the battery and it worked. :roll: :headbang: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:41 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm Reconnected the battery and it worked. :roll: :headbang: :D
Must remember that last step……
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:33 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm I did PVR's last Friday. Not having done one before I was expecting a struggle.
I ended up removing the air filter box complete back to the front of the sound generator, unplugged a sensor near the front top of the manifold, undid the screw securing the fuel pipe to the rear of the manifold (purely to give another inch of movement), then removed the half dozen bolts and screws securing the manifold. Nothing else needed. This gave me enough room to lift the manifold and reach in from the front to access the electrical connectors and the short mounting bolt. The long bolt was easily rreached from the rear.

I've done two and you only need to remove the airbox really, but like with any job on these cars, the more you remove the easier it gets hah

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:00 am

thecremeegg wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:33 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:45 pm I did PVR's last Friday. Not having done one before I was expecting a struggle.

I've done two and you only need to remove the airbox really, but like with any job on these cars, the more you remove the easier it gets hah
If you only remove the air box how do you reach the starter connections and which way do you remove it? I can do an M54 with just the sound generator off but couldn’t see enough gap on the N52.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:36 pm

My new starter motor from Autodoc arrived today. Just need to add this to my ever growing list of things to do over winter on it.......
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:48 pm

And it is almost spring :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:10 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:00 am
thecremeegg wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:33 pm

If you only remove the air box how do you reach the starter connections and which way do you remove it? I can do an M54 with just the sound generator off but couldn’t see enough gap on the N52.
Ah the N52 might be slightly different, I've only done it on the M54, apologies!