Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bowden Cable Stops Roof Motor Working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TheRealMCoy

Post by TheRealMCoy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:59 pm

I've relocated the roof motor and, in the process, noticed the Bowden cable handle was not properly located in the end of the tube - it was dangling. I relocated it and then went about moving the motor. After relocation the roof would no longer open/close on the switch but the motor could be heard running.

I've narrowed the problem down to the Bowden cable. If I remove the actuator from the motor housing the roof works fine. If I attach it, the roof stops. I'm guessing it is pressing the valve but I can't see any method of adjustment?

Grateful for any hints. Thanks.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:18 pm

TheRealMCoy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:59 pm I've relocated the roof motor and, in the process, noticed the Bowden cable handle was not properly located in the end of the tube - it was dangling. I relocated it and then went about moving the motor. After relocation the roof would no longer open/close on the switch but the motor could be heard running.

I've narrowed the problem down to the Bowden cable. If I remove the actuator from the motor housing the roof works fine. If I attach it, the roof stops. I'm guessing it is pressing the valve but I can't see any method of adjustment?

Grateful for any hints. Thanks.
About half way along the cable is a white adjuster. It may be that the cable is kinked and holding it tight but if not, simply wind the adjuster until you can see the ferrule move fully out in the black plastic mount on the pump.
You’ll need the parcel shelf out but hopefully can reach over from there.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TheRealMCoy

Post by TheRealMCoy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:05 pm

I vaguely recall seeing a white component when I had the shelf out to move the motor (looked a bit like an inline fuse holder). Thank you. I'll take the the shelf out and give it a go.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 pm

TheRealMCoy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:05 pm I vaguely recall seeing a white component when I had the shelf out to move the motor (looked a bit like an inline fuse holder). Thank you. I'll take the the shelf out and give it a go.
That’s the thingummy. I think you need to screw it in to take the tension off.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: