Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres cracking

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:26 pm

There seems to be a lot of talk on another forum regarding tyres cracking after only 2 to 3 years, including top brands not just the cheap ones. Has anyone on here found this happening to their tyres?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

tiglon

Tyres cracking

Post by tiglon » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm

Nope, because my tyres wear out long before they reach their 2nd birthday!
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:39 pm

tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:38 pm Nope, because my tyres wear out long before they reach their 2nd birthday!
:rofl:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Tyres cracking

Post by B21 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:46 pm

Member here with MP4S cracking after 2 to 3 years…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:12 am

B21 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:46 pm Member here with MP4S cracking after 2 to 3 years…
That’s not good, on the other forum they are saying it’s a UV problem :thumbsdown:

Phoenixboy

Tyres cracking

Post by Phoenixboy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:15 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:12 am
B21 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:46 pm Member here with MP4S cracking after 2 to 3 years…
That’s not good, on the other forum they are saying it’s a UV problem :thumbsdown:
Do we get enough sun in Devon to have uv problems 😂
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:20 am

Phoenixboy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:15 am
Do we get enough sun in Devon to have uv problems 😂
Of course we do :rofl:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 am

I would say it is UV, if the car is left outside and especially if not used all the time.
I have one car on the drive which has (minor) cracks on the sidewalls and between the tread blocks. The tyres are 4 years old and a branded make.
I have another which is in the garage (and has always been garaged AFAIK) with the cheapest 11 year old shite tyres on it and they are as good as new. No perishing, no hairline cracks; nothing.
Our old E89 was garaged all the time and never had any signs of perishing to the tyres.

I don't know whether putting that 'tyre dressing' stuff on may help, as it is silicone based so will soften the rubber slightly and must form even a slight barrier to UV. :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 am
I would say it is UV, if the car is left outside and especially if not used all the time.
I have one car on the drive which has (minor) cracks on the sidewalls and between the tread blocks. The tyres are 4 years old and a branded make.
I have another which is in the garage (and has always been garaged AFAIK) with the cheapest 11 year old shite tyres on it and they are as good as new. No perishing, no hairline cracks; nothing.
Our old E89 was garaged all the time and never had any signs of perishing to the tyres.

I don't know whether putting that 'tyre dressing' stuff on may help, as it is silicone based so will soften the rubber slightly and must form even a slight barrier to UV. :?
The ones on the car are 7 year old Avon’s and are not cracked and seen quite good, I don’t drive like a nutter so I thought Avon ZV7’s will be fine to replace my 2 rear ones but some reviews say they crack between the treads but it seems that even the top ones do also. I do the autoglym rubber dressing when I wash the car, not sure if it helps though but looks nice. :thumbsup: Are Avon okay, I know most on here go for PS4 and Goodyear F1s I’m not sure I would notice the difference :rofl:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Tyres cracking

Post by B21 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:05 am

The car is based in Northern California…bit more sunny than most of Blighty..although whether it’s garaged or not..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:10 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 am Are Avon okay, I know most on here go for PS4 and Goodyear F1s I’m not sure I would notice the difference :rofl:
I'm not the one for tyre make advice Mikey. If they are black and round they will do for me!

Last Avon tyres I bought was in 1988. They were seen as a performance brand back in those days. They did wear out quick IIRC, but that could be something to do with me being 20 years old! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:12 am

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:10 am
MikeyH wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 am Are Avon okay, I know most on here go for PS4 and Goodyear F1s I’m not sure I would notice the difference :rofl:
I'm not the one for tyre make advice Mikey. If they are black and round they will do for me!

Last Avon tyres I bought was in 1988. They were seen as a performance brand back in those days. They did wear out quick IIRC, but that could be something to do with me being 20 years old! :)
:rofl: :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:21 am

I suppose in my 20's I would do around 12000 miles per year and I doubt the tyres of the day would last more than 2 years and I don't think I ever kept a car that long anyway what with rust etc. Probably never had a chance to get old and crack.

Rockhopper

Tyres cracking

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 am

My Falkens have cracked, not sure when they were made but I think they have been on the car for three years at most. I use Autoglym tyre dressing as well.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Tyres cracking

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 am

Rockhopper wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:24 am My Falkens have cracked, not sure when they were made but I think they have been on the car for three years at most. I use Autoglym tyre dressing as well.
It seems more common than I thought even for top brands, my wife’s car recently had both front tyres replaced as they had cracked side walls, I assumed it must have been because I wasn’t paying attention to the pressure. Maybe not. They were Pirelli Cinturatos.