Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

18 Months into Z4 ownership - What I've learned so far!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 pm

So I had some surprise (good!) news a few weeks back, in that my wife is pregnant! We'd been trying for ages and were in the early stages of exploring IVF options, so it really was wonderful news. The down side of course (you'll have guessed this already!) is that the Z4 is only a two seater, and obviously not very child friendly, so sadly I will need to part with it in the Summer, though I will hold on to it for as long as possible before then (the due date isn't until early July). I've thought a lot about just keeping it, but I know it'll hardly get used, and financially selling it makes sense.

It'll be 20 years this coming March, since I passed my driving test (ouch I'm getting old!) and I've owned 15 cars in that time. The shortest ownership period being just three weeks (that car, a Citroen C4, was very broken, don't ask!) with the longest being around 4.5 years (an absolutely indestructible and entirely faultless Vauxhall Astra).

I've owned some cars that are traditionally a little more towards the car enthusiast end of things, including two Alfas (both 156's) and a very niche (OK, weird!) Honda Legend 3.5 V6. I've also had 'family' cars that are a little more rare / unusual e.g. a Mazda CX-7 and a Honda HRV EX (I'll never understand why the latter were not significantly more popular - a great car), but until this BMW Z4, I'd never had a purely fun / weekend car, and you know what, most of the time I love it! That said, (as you'll see if you go back through my posts on here), my first Z4 ownership has not been without its challenges.

So going back to the thread title, what have I learned in the past 18 months, and if I could go back in time (back to the future style) to my past self, what would I say?

• Do not buy the first one you see locally that's cheap! :oops:
  • Service history and condition matter far more than mileage, the M54 engine is capable of doing high mileages
  • 20 year old rubber components, (in lots of places) will have perished
  • Ditching the run flats and changing the engine mounts will absolutely transform the ride of these cars (and I mean by A LOT) :D
  • The Real OEM website and this forum (and the members of it) will be your new best friend(s) :D
  • The 6 speaker standard stereo really is pants :thumbsdown:
  • If you need to use your Z4 in the Winter, don't get one without heated seats!
  • Don't be cheap (like me!) and attempt a cable repair on a window regulator, just buy the whole new part (I think I still have finger injuries from that repair!)
  • If the vendor of a Z4 you like is throwing in a car cover with the sale, don't think glass half full, he/she must look after it well (like I did), be cynical, and assume the roof leaks (ask me how I know! :headbang: )
  • The 103 style alloys are a sod to clean well and 106 and 107 styles are the best wheels for this car, no question. I'll die on this hill! :rofl:
  • The cruise control retrofit is very easy on early cars (with the wiring already present) and even an absolute amateur (like me!) can do it. Also check the price of them new, for me there was little in it between a new one from my local dealer and second hand ones off Ebay.
  • Invest in a decent trickle charger, keeping the battery topped up seems keeps the car electronics and alarm happy (an overnight charge just once a month works for me)
  • Possibly slightly controversial this one, but the pre facelift cars look much better, particularly from the rear!
  • The earliest cars (like mine) are now 21 years old, and things will inevitably go wrong. Think about what you're not spending on monthly finance / lease payments for a newer car and budget for some of those savings to be used on repairs
  • Check for rust underneath, particularly on the rear subframe
  • With the automatic gearbox and having ditched the run flats, the Z4 can be more of a GT car than an outright sports car experience. (I've kind of come to the realisation that actually a GT type car is more my style anyway. I don't need an out and out sports car)
  • Members of this forum will have some parts in their garages / sheds that have long since been out of production from new (special thanks to Enuff_zed for his sterling work tracking down the incredibly rare grey interior cup holder fascia panels!) :D

I think that's most of it! As I've said above, I'll keep my Z4 for as long as I can, though in the Summer I hope someone on this wonderful forum can take it off me and continue the work / significant investment I've already put into improving it.

I will definitely buy another convertible at some point (a four seater), potentially either a BMW 6 series or Merc CLK / E-Class cabriolet. Or possibly a Peugeot 306 cabriolet - I've always loved the look of them, particularly in the right colour, plus our main car is a Peugeot 3008 (the rare 300bhp Hybrid one naturally, 2 seconds faster to 60mph than my Z4! :rofl: ).

I'd never rule out a return to Z4 ownership in the future though, perhaps E89's might be nearer my (typically low!) budget by the time I'm ready to get back into one.
Last edited by Rossi1001 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 2.5i Auto (April 2003, Titan Silver & Red Leather)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:15 pm

Congratulations on your good news. :thumbsup:

Even if it does mean you will have to part with your Z4. :(

You've made some really interesting points there that would probably be helpful to anyone thinking of buying a Z4!

It's funny though because while I prefer the rear of the facelift models the front of the pre-facelifts look much better without those hopeless oblong fog-lights that never stay dry! Thankfully the Ms don't have them. :)

I suppose you'll need to consider what to get as a replacement. I really like my manual E90 330i. OK it doesn't drive like a Z4 but I get to enjoy the same N52 engine as I had in my 3.0Sis, just with the volume turned down! And they are cheap as chips, unless you want a Touring.

Anyway all the best to you and your wife. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:29 pm

Great post. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:47 pm

Very well put indeed. Considering the hassles you’ve had it is written in very good humour too.
I hope you get to enjoy many miles in it before the happy event inevitably leads to a sad one.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:17 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:15 pm Congratulations on your good news. :thumbsup:

Even if it does mean you will have to part with your Z4. :(

You've made some really interesting points there that would probably be helpful to anyone thinking of buying a Z4!

It's funny though because while I prefer the rear of the facelift models the front of the pre-facelifts look much better without those hopeless oblong fog-lights that never stay dry! Thankfully the Ms don't have them. :)

I suppose you'll need to consider what to get as a replacement. I really like my manual E90 330i. OK it doesn't drive like a Z4 but I get to enjoy the same N52 engine as I had in my 3.0Sis, just with the volume turned down! And they are cheap as chips, unless you want a Touring.

Anyway all the best to you and your wife. :thumbsup:
Thank you that's very kind!

I'm with you 100% on the front end. Those fog lights look even worse than the facelift rear lights!

Both E46s and E90s are definitely on the list, though I'll probably go without sadly for a short time, or potentially go for the 306 as a cheap convertible stop gap.

Hopefully these points might help someone new to these cars like I was just 18 months ago. I'd be really chuffed if it did help anyone!

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:21 am

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:47 pm Very well put indeed. Considering the hassles you’ve had it is written in very good humour too.
I hope you get to enjoy many miles in it before the happy event inevitably leads to a sad one.
I've had more than my fair share of hassle for sure (and not over just yet as you know!), although I like to think that someone will now end up with a car that's had A LOT of love (and money!) thrown at it in my ownership, so (annoyingly for me I suppose, but good for them) they will benefit from that.

I still have 6 ish months to enjoy it though for now!

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 am

So very sadly we lost our baby at 23 weeks gestation last week. This was after the waters breaking early (called a preterm premature rupture of the membranes or PPROM) at just 19 weeks. That final month, being in and out of hospital constantly, and then the subsequent stillbirth, is without doubt the most difficult thing to have happened in my life.

The Z4 was already off the road when all this was going on, after I hit some debris on the M11 back in mid December (see this post). Just after Christmas, I had a mechanic start looking at it, but he was then unwell and in hospital too, so I had to find someone else. I finally found another mechanic willing to take it on at the start of March, though he didn't have any availability before 25th March (though with what then happened after it was booked in, this was probably a blessing in disguise). So the car is finally going in tomorrow.

I am hoping my work before Christmas on fixing the air intake, (the flexible rubber intake pipe was completely busted (and bodged with electrical tape!) will have fixed the limp mode / DME issues (see this thread) I was having before the exhaust was broken. I've not wanted to really push the car (to test it after my intake fix) with the front to mid exhaust joint being held by just one bolt (and rust!), plus the noise was horrendous!

I'll give it a good (and long overdue) clean along with getting it up to Enuff_Zed (finally after months!) for a roof motor move to the boot, once I've got it back, though I'm in two minds on the cars longer term future now the immediate pressure to sell is off, and would appreciate forum advice.

It's an early (March 2003) 2.5i auto with an odd spec of xenons, rear PDC and memory but not heated seats. It's given me more issues than I'd have hoped for during my ownership, though part of me thinks I'm spent / fixed this much (and I'll never get that money back!), so I might as well persevere and hopefully I've broken the back of the issues and will have a good summer with it this year. Another part of me thinks I really want a 3.0 and a manual, so sell it and get another. Finally, the sensible part of my brain tells me I should get rid of a fun car completely, channel that money saved towards clearing the loan on our main family car faster and then once that's done get something much better (budget then of say £10k).

I've enjoyed learning / fixing some stuff myself though and would then lose my hobby, perhaps at a time when I need it more than ever to improve my mental wellbeing.

What do I do? I'll do a separate post below of what I've done on the car in my ownership that might help!
Last edited by Rossi1001 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 am

Z4 2.5 auto (March 2003 car) in Titan Silver with red leather and it's not an M Sport. It's done 97k miles and only 6k miles in the past 5 years (with 4k of those miles being from myself in the over the last year and a half). There are two working remote keys.

I bought it in August 2022 off a retired policeman who'd had it for just over a year. He bought it with no prior service history (brave!), though did say the previous owner had owned the car for circa 7 years, which checked out when you look at the HPI history and when the personal plates were added / removed. It's had a high number of owners though, I am the 11th(!!), though I'm only the third owner in the past 10 years, so it changed hands a lot early in its life.

The policeman chap carried out a full service and replaced the brake lines and also rectified an ABS issue (I have paperwork for all of this), though I've done a lot more in my ownership, including the following;

Further full service and Auxiliary belts changed
Gearbox oil service - oil replaced twice over a 3 month period
Valve cover gaskets replaced (inc screws)
Oil filter housing gasket replaced
New Battery
2x front shock absorbers replaced
Replaced 4x tyres with Bridgestones (not run flat - so much better!)
Retrofitted cruise control (brand new stalk)
Retrofitted cupholders with the correct SUPER RARE grey faceplates (thanks again Enuff_Zed!)
Retrofitted LED interior lighting (footwells and boot light too - much brighter, more modern and uses less power)
Replaced the rear centre brake light (OEM red original)
Replaced both boot struts
Replaced the hazard warning / door lock switched (original was very scratched)
Replaced the broken passenger window regulator cable
Replaced passenger door weather seal (this had been causing a leak - now fixed)
Replaced the front lower suspension arms, bushes and links (this along with new tyres significantly improved the handling)
Replaced the ashtray unit (the moving lid was broken)
Replaced the xenon headlight bulbs
Replaced the front inner steering rack joints (which came up on the last MOT)
Replaced the engine and transmission mounts to cure a bit of engine vibration. This made the car feel SO much better!
Replaced the MAF sensor
Replaced the rubber air intake boot
Tomorrow, the exhaust manifold will be removed (crack welded) and refitted with all new head bolts, gaskets, flanges, bolts to the mid section exhaust.

I've also got a replacement gear selector surround to fit, along with new door handles coming in the post shortly to further freshen up the interior.

I've also got a full set of the Carver DSP speakers, though I'd still need the amp / boot wiring loom and subwoofer brackets / grills (plus a forum members help!) to fit these. As it's an early car, the door speaker wiring is already in place.

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 am

w**k news about the baby. We went through similar, twice. However in the end things worked out and we now have two kids that keep us busy running round after them, so don’t give up although what you went through is tough when it happens. One day you’ll be running into the bathroom for the 100th time to wipe your kids bum and your current situation will be a distant memory.

One thing I would say is though once your family does start up keep the Zed if you can and try and run it alongside a family run about. I got rid of my fun car when we had ours and I regretted it afterwards. Now have the Zed as well as our boring family wagon so I can get out and see my friends and whatever without leaving the wife stranded at home.
2004 E85 3.0 Sterling Grey

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 am

Sorry to hear the news. I dont think it is that well advertised that potential parents go through a lot of trauma especially if having a baby later in life, its never as easy as some might think. Took us a couple of years of ups and downs before our little chap made it into the world.

In terms of the car, looks like you love it, you've invested in it, and to be honest (and without being presumptuous) right now its probably exactly the sort of thing to get your head stuck into when you need that downtime yourself. Given what you have done to the car already, you know what you have on your hands and what it needs so I would say crack on with it.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

BigDaddy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 am w**k news about the baby. We went through similar, twice. However in the end things worked out and we now have two kids that keep us busy running round after them, so don’t give up although what you went through is tough when it happens. One day you’ll be running into the bathroom for the 100th time to wipe your kids bum and your current situation will be a distant memory.

One thing I would say is though once your family does start up keep the Zed if you can and try and run it alongside a family run about. I got rid of my fun car when we had ours and I regretted it afterwards. Now have the Zed as well as our boring family wagon so I can get out and see my friends and whatever without leaving the wife stranded at home.
Your post cheered me up, I hope you're right and it will be a distant memory someday!

I do have a slightly oddball family wagon, it's a Peugeot 3008, but the 300bhp 4 wheel drive hybrid one. It's stupidly fast in a straight line, but it's still rubbish on bends, and off the line it hesitates slightly, whilst the car works out whether you need one electric motor, both of them or both and the engine as well. Unless you use the 'sport mode', but that pipes absolutely awful fake engine noises through the speakers, which is horrendous!

The Z4 is technically slower on paper but feels way better to drive! I think you're right. I'd miss it.

Rossi1001

Post by Rossi1001 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 pm

coldel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 am Sorry to hear the news. I dont think it is that well advertised that potential parents go through a lot of trauma especially if having a baby later in life, its never as easy as some might think. Took us a couple of years of ups and downs before our little chap made it into the world.

In terms of the car, looks like you love it, you've invested in it, and to be honest (and without being presumptuous) right now its probably exactly the sort of thing to get your head stuck into when you need that downtime yourself. Given what you have done to the car already, you know what you have on your hands and what it needs so I would say crack on with it.
We're both 38, so we've left it probably a bit later than is ideal, though I'm really hoping it works out next time. I think it's just how late the miscarriage was that made it so hard. She was a fully formed baby, just on the small side.

I think you're probably right on the car. I've not added it up yet, but I'm pretty sure I've easily spent the purchase price on it again now! So I might as well keep it. I know it'll never be 'mint' condition, but that's kind of OK, as a useable car is what I want rather than a garage only car I'm really worried about.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:18 am

Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, Keep it, :poke:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:18 am

Ps Keep it.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!