Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering column: Torque sensor

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bhc

Post by bhc » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 am

Hi guys,

Previous owner had the PAS pump replaced by ecutesting about 1 year ago, however the torque sensor has gone, where I keep getting intermittent readings from the sensor and it disables. Restart car, works for a few mins and comes back. Seems to be fine for first ~15mins use, then just get worse and worse.

Anyway, I've pulled column out for two plans. Replace column to get car on road, and then look into going mechanical. However, I am never going to find the time to go mechanical so I am not sure if there is anyone on here I could reach out to on this? (Bristol based, don't mind travelling)

I also am after a steering column, so I can put my pump/ignition barrel in and get car back on road. She's been off the road for 4 weeks now and I really miss it :(

Thanks!

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:44 am

Hi .....I'm near Cardiff and have a complete column about to come out of a very low mileage car ...56000 miles... call me..my number is on your Private messages

Providing your car is a E85/ 86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:21 pm

Sounds like Barry has you sorted then. :thumbsup:

Just confirm it suits your car, as manual and auto cars have different columns.

From experience of changing columns, you will need to recalibrate the Steering Angle Sensor and on the ones I've done, you seem to have to do it again within about 20 miles or so. No idea why. After that it seems fine.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bhc

Post by bhc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:45 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:21 pm From experience of changing columns, you will need to recalibrate the Steering Angle Sensor and on the ones I've done, you seem to have to do it again within about 20 miles or so. No idea why. After that it seems fine.
Yes that does seem the case! I also cannot seem to calibrate it on the c310+. Which is annoying. I also need to fix airbag light.

Quick question for you Martin, Liam mentioned you might have a steering shaft spare? Unfortunately mine has decided to give up the ghost. Would it be possible to pm if you have one?

Thanks

Ben

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:53 pm

bhc wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:45 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:21 pm From experience of changing columns, you will need to recalibrate the Steering Angle Sensor and on the ones I've done, you seem to have to do it again within about 20 miles or so. No idea why. After that it seems fine.
Yes that does seem the case! I also cannot seem to calibrate it on the c310+. Which is annoying. I also need to fix airbag light.

Quick question for you Martin, Liam mentioned you might have a steering shaft spare? Unfortunately mine has decided to give up the ghost. Would it be possible to pm if you have one?

Thanks

Ben
Ben, I have two columns here (though I may have just sold the motor off one of them?)

I also have the means the calibrate the SAS.

In addition, I have a fair selection of airbag modules and the means to code them as well.

However, reading back through this post, I see Barry offered you a complete low mileage column and is much closer than me?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bhc

Post by bhc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:10 pm

Hey Martin,

Thanks for quick reply.

I can reach out to Barry, but I'd need it posted either way. Barry did give me complete column but not the steering shaft (which has now broken). I have lots of play in the lower end of it which is causing a lot of movement in the steering wheel.

Thanks!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:37 pm

bhc wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:10 pm Hey Martin,

Thanks for quick reply.

I can reach out to Barry, but I'd need it posted either way. Barry did give me complete column but not the steering shaft (which has now broken). I have lots of play in the lower end of it which is causing a lot of movement in the steering wheel.

Thanks!
OK, you lost me I'm afraid?
You have a column?
So do you actually need the lower intermediate shaft now? The one with the UJ either end?
If you yanked your column out to release it from that shaft then it is likely you over-extended it and knackered the bearings inside it.

I don't have any spare intermediate shafts. I sell mine on to Usel, who modifies them for the hydraulic conversions.
If that is the part you need then he may still have one available?

bhc

Post by bhc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm

Sorry for not being clear, yes I need the intermediate shaft now.

It has been fine for a month or so but yes obviously damaged it by over extending it. The bearings inside it are now knackered.

Yes that is the part I need! I will chase Usel.

I wish though I just went hydraulic conversion now! If there is anyone who can supply/fit I would definitely be interested! Or I can get parts and find someone who can fit it. But, let's car back on road first!

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:23 pm

I have a intermediate shaft available :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:59 pm

bhc wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:40 pm Sorry for not being clear, yes I need the intermediate shaft now.

It has been fine for a month or so but yes obviously damaged it by over extending it. The bearings inside it are now knackered.
Just for the education of others following this thread: if you have to remove the steering column, do NOT try to haul it out of the intermediate shaft! It will damage it and new ones are well into 4 figures would you believe?
Before unbolting the column, remove the pinch bolt from the top UJ on the intermediate shaft and use a large screwdriver or pry bar, hammered into the gap, to open up the clamp a little. Then tap the UJ down towards the front of the car until it comes free from the column.
Follow that procedure in reverse to refit it.

Umfaan

Post by Umfaan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:09 pm

Sorted :D