Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof opens with Key fob but not with inside switch

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:28 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:10 pm Thanks.
I took the switch apart and attached wires to circuit board and reinstalled.
Project was to use a remote control to open and close roof.
Then realised i needed to power module when car unlocked, easy i think, but needed ignition key in..
As we know we can open roof but not close with basic key fob.
Also does car need to detect someone in seat to operate close function.
That little project was abandoned.
Person not needed in seat for comfort access close
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:02 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:10 pm Also does car need to detect someone in seat to operate close function.
Definitely not.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:32 pm

OK thanks, one less thing to have thought about.

javis20

Post by javis20 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:40 pm

Well if your goal is to simulate a SmartTop or Komfort Access, you should be looking around the CTM module. Smarttop in installed inline with the CTM module connector and only uses 5 wires. You could possibly program and use an Arduino to open and close the top. You can buy remote control modules for the Arduino. If you knew someone with a SmartTop you could ask them to identify which connector pins it's using.
smarttop.JPG
smarttop.JPG (46.14 KiB) Viewed 274 times

I was going to tackle this project a few years ago, but then realized I'm retired and life is too short.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:18 am

Same here, after messing with the push buttons and adding wires, it became...what's the point.
Passed a few hours away.
I have a simple 4ch remote switching relays.

There must be some signal that perhaps is replicated in smart top to tell the system in effect ignition is on to close roof.
Have seen the various wire in the wiring diagrams. Might come back to it in summer.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:03 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:18 am I have a simple 4ch remote switching relays.
There must be some signal that perhaps is replicated in smart top to tell the system in effect ignition is on to close roof.
Well, I've integrated such a 4CH China relay package into my Y3 Diagnostic System:

viewtopic.php?t=134505

2 channels are for opening or closing the roof by putting the according input ports to ground (simulating the internal buttons).
2 channels are for opening or closing the front locking system independant of the roof for maintenance and diagnostics.

The prerequisite for using these 4 functions with my system is that the key is inserted into the FOB slot in the car. But the ignition is NOT required to control the functions mentioned.

So far I don't know how the roof modules activate the car's environment, but I'm pretty sure they send a message on the redirected CAN bus.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 am

Yes i have the same module and key fob.
All i need do is connect it, but the fact the cars key fob needs to be in ignition is only convenient if trouble shooting and need to be outside car moving the roof.
If a signal could be replicated to say the key is in, it would be worth it.

Would be even better if the boot open key on car fob could be changed to roof close.
It always seemed a pointless function unless boot opened fully, like my colleagues Merc.

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:50 am

I have a SMARTOP installed and mine still does the same thing but now the action has changed, now both roof buttons on the inside work and only the close on the fob functions! I still think it's the module.........yesterday whilst the roof was CLOSING it stopped midway and the trunk popped OPEN: cry: !!! I can bet that the roof module controls the trunk lock/unlock action.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm

Had a quick look smart top. Can you reprogramme it through usb port?

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:01 pm

Yes, comes with a cable and instructions on their site.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:11 pm

flybobbie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm Had a quick look smart top. Can you reprogramme it through usb port?
You can also program it from the roof buttons inside the car
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

dumaurier7

Post by dumaurier7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm

dumaurier7 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:50 am I have a SMARTOP installed and mine still does the same thing but now the action has changed, now both roof buttons on the inside work and only the close on the fob functions! I still think it's the module.........yesterday whilst the roof was CLOSING it stopped midway and the trunk popped OPEN: cry: !!! I can bet that the roof module controls the trunk lock/unlock action.
I think it is worth mentioning that something is up with my fob, batteries last about a week to week and a half! so now I'm not sure if it is actually the module or the key! I am in the process of replacing the fob, so I'll see what happens and report back.