Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strange Electrical Gremlins. Thoughts?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rsipad

Post by Rsipad » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm

Hi all,

A week ago, I started a road trip out to the track. About 0.2 miles into the 4 hour journey, the car started acting strange.

1. The "brake" light came up in orange font, the tire pressure light came on in orange font, and the TC off light also came on.

2. The throttle kept sticking for about 0.3 seconds after letting off above 3k rpm (and only under load, not when blipping the throttle).

3. The e-dipstick would not give a reading throught the entire trip. I tried while idling, driving on the highway, city driving, and even on the track. In all situations, the clock symbol would appear for 5 minutes after pressing the button and then it would time out.

Once I got back home, I tried disconnecting the battery and the MAF. I also checked codes, but nothing is showing up (except the usual MAF code after unplugging it, I cleared it and it went away). All of the issues are still present. Any ideas what could have caused all these problems to appear simultaneously and what else I should check?

Thanks in advance.
2006 Z4 3.0i (Montego Blue)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 pm

Item 1 is often associated with a yaw sensor failure, but with all those other issues I think I'd start by checking the battery is good.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Trav

Post by Trav » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:45 pm

If it is not the battery, there are many common grounding points on the car. I included one from an early model Z that shows how the oil sensor is actually grounded with other items on a common point. Sometimes these common grounds can be the source of spurious multiple faults. Although it is unclear why you are not seeing codes. Just another avenue to look for the drawings on and maybe check.
Attachments
z4 earth.png
z4 earth.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Z4MR A.W.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 pm

With no codes coming up, check battery and if good to go, I'd consider changing out the ignition switch. Google: BMW bad ignition switch.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:59 pm

Trav wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:45 pm Image

If it is not the battery, there are many common grounding points on the car. I included one from an early model Z that shows how the oil sensor is actually grounded with other items on a common point. Sometimes these common grounds can be the source of spurious multiple faults. Although it is unclear why you are not seeing codes. Just another avenue to look for the drawings on and maybe check.
This is interesting and seems to cover a lot of the OPs issues.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rsipad

Post by Rsipad » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:34 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:00 pm I think I'd start by checking the battery is good.
Battery is 2 years old, so it should be good, but it's an easy thing to check so I'll give it a go :thumbsup:
Trav wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:45 pm Image

If it is not the battery, there are many common grounding points on the car. Just another avenue to look for the drawings on and maybe check.
Interesting... thanks for the response. I'll have a look at the ground for the oil sensor and check if all 3 issues are connected to the same ground.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:39 pm

Definitely check the battery, as above, :thumbsup:

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:10 am

If it’s an old battery change it, it can look good on the tester but as soon as you put a load on it the voltage drops. It’s easily your cheapest option, there is no guaranteed life I’ve had then go bad a 6 months, others have lasted 8 yrs, todays electronics are very sensitive to low voltage.

Rsipad

Post by Rsipad » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:05 pm

Issue ended up being the steering angle sensor being out of calibration. No idea why that would cause a sticky throttle or the e-dipstick to not work, but I'll take it :D

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Rsipad wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:05 pm Issue ended up being the steering angle sensor being out of calibration. No idea why that would cause a sticky throttle or the e-dipstick to not work, but I'll take it :D
Can’t answer the dipstick one but if the car thinks the steering angle is excessive it will activate all the dynamic stability stuff which regulates throttle input.