Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Brake Discs

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm

It time for new rear pads again, this time I thought I would change the discs as well. Been looking on this German BMW dealers website, they tend to have good price on genuine BMW parts. As you can see from the screenshot they are now doing OEM parts as well as genuine BMW:
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 17.32.14.png
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 17.32.14.png (219.71 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Am I right in assuming OEM is exactly the same as genuine BMW but without the BMW logo stamped on the product or BMW packaging? The Jurid OEM are working out 40€ (for two) cheaper than the BMW ones and if so, I rather save 40€. I sent a query off to their customer support but the girl who replied was clueless.

Can anyone confirm if what I am thinking is correct?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Rear Brake Discs

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:05 pm

If it’s OE quality then it means that BMW in the minds of the retailer MAY have chosen to source that product..amongst many others….

It is not the BMW part in a different box.

In some cases there is only one supplier of the BMW part and the OE part is identical except it has the BMW logo defaced / removed and is not in a bmw box.

Generally the European parts suppliers are pretty straight about what they are offering.

In many cases the BMW part is made to a spec which was good enough for BMW at the price they were willing to pay..in those cases you can buy a better quality product…eg Meyle HD product line..

It’s a pretty complicated minefield..

Then there are the pirated copies of things like NGK plugs..plus the obvious Chinese copies..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm Am I right in assuming OEM is exactly the same as genuine BMW but without the BMW logo stamped on the product or BMW packaging? The Jurid OEM are working out 40€ (for two) cheaper than the BMW ones and if so, I rather save 40€. I sent a query off to their customer support but the girl who replied was clueless.

This stuff about BMW parts is all nonsense especially with consumables like brake parts. BMW don't make discs or pads, they buy them from third parties. They buy them from many third parties aswell, therefore at one time or another most makers will have been "OEM".
There is a rumour that the reason BMW branded discs rust and corrode so easily is that to save cost, BMW specify suppliers not to coat them in anything. Makes sense.

As long as they fit, it's a case of 'pay your money take your choice' IMO.

I have been very impressed by TRW discs and pads (another "OEM" for BMW/ Mini).

I have a new set of Brembo discs and Jurid pads in the garage but they haven't been fitted yet, so can't comment.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:13 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 pm
Silverstar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm Am I right in assuming OEM is exactly the same as genuine BMW but without the BMW logo stamped on the product or BMW packaging? The Jurid OEM are working out 40€ (for two) cheaper than the BMW ones and if so, I rather save 40€. I sent a query off to their customer support but the girl who replied was clueless.

This stuff about BMW parts is all nonsense especially with consumables like brake parts. BMW don't make discs or pads, they buy them from third parties. They buy them from many third parties aswell, therefore at one time or another most makers will have been "OEM".
There is a strong rumour that the reason BMW branded discs rust and corrode so easily is that to save cost, BMW specify suppliers not to coat them in anything. Makes sense.

As long as they fit, it's a case of 'pay your money take your choice' IMO.

I have been very impressed by TRW discs and pads (another "OEM" for BMW/ Mini).

I have a new set of Brembo discs and Jurid pads in the garage but they haven't been fitted yet, so can't comment.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:16 pm

Incidentally the E89 is the first car I've changed brakes on which have ventilated rear discs. A bit overkill IMO.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Oilyfingers

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Oilyfingers » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:18 pm

I use Hubauer regularly to buy parts and so far only have good experience with them.
Last year bought a set of Brembo discs and pads and can recommend that setup

BMW do produce brake discs themselves in Berlin. I have seen that with my own eyes. However they also use other suppliers as well

Silverstar

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:05 pm

Hi Pondrew yes I am well aware parts are made by other manufactuers, the question I was asking here is are the Jurid discs being sold by this German BMW dealer original fitment parts i.e. where they fitted by BMW on the production line? Hubauer have indicated they are OEM, from what i've been able to gather is that they are manufacuters that at some point have supplied something to a car factory but not the actual manufacuters of the discs that BMW fitted in the factory. To be fair I have not had any corrosion or rusting issues with the originals but I am in sunny climes.

Oilyfingers yes have to agree have used Hubauer in past also and as you say they have proven to be very good.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Rear Brake Discs

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:20 pm

Silverstar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:05 pm Hi Pondrew yes I am well aware parts are made by other manufactuers, the question I was asking here is are the Jurid discs being sold by this German BMW dealer original fitment parts i.e. where they fitted by BMW on the production line? Hubauer have indicated they are OEM, from what i've been able to gather is that they are manufacuters that at some point have supplied something to a car factory but not the actual manufacuters of the discs that BMW fitted in the factory. To be fair I have not had any corrosion or rusting issues with the originals but I am in sunny climes.

Oilyfingers yes have to agree have used Hubauer in past also and as you say they have proven to be very good.
If it was a BMW part it would have BMW part number and manufacturing tracking codes.

If you take a clear example…

On the N54 Pierburg make the turbo boost controller …

Pressure converter

You can buy the BMW version…it is stamped with a BMW logo and has a bmw label…

If you peel the label you see the Pierburg logo.

So in this case the Pierburg part is OE quality but it’s not a BMW part..

You can buy a Febi Bilstein version…that’s not OE quality by association..it may or may not be equal to or worse or better than the BMW/pierburg

With something pretty low tech such as most brake discs it’s a commodity item…so probably ok to use…

A Chinese copy of a BMW index 12mm fuel injector is just a bad copy / re-used with fake markings..

If you buy from Autodoc etc yiu have a good quality supplier that will honour goods.

I’ve had Hella coils , Valeo sensors that were useless but they did honour refunds.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Silverstar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 pm There is a rumour that the reason BMW branded discs rust and corrode so easily is that to save cost, BMW specify suppliers not to coat them in anything. Makes sense.
This must be just that, a rumour! These turned up today, went for original BMW ones in the end since they didnt have the Jurids in stock and to be fair the BMW ones weren't that much more money. Hopefully as you might be able to see from the photos, they are coated.
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg (132.14 KiB) Viewed 314 times
IMG_1093.jpeg
IMG_1093.jpeg (148.52 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:22 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm Hopefully as you might be able to see from the photos, they are coated.
They look like they are coated in silver paint from the photo.. :poke: :D
You don't need to worry if you live in Espana, anyway. :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Silverstar

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Silverstar » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:22 pm You don't need to worry if you live in Espana, anyway.
True, don't see much corrosion here. :D

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 am

I have often wondered about brake disc “coating”. Doesn’t it just come off when you apply the brakes, or is it to protect the non-braking surface?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Dave 2 dogs

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:09 am

Silverstar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:13 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:07 pm There is a rumour that the reason BMW branded discs rust and corrode so easily is that to save cost, BMW specify suppliers not to coat them in anything. Makes sense.
This must be just that, a rumour! These turned up today, went for original BMW ones in the end since they didnt have the Jurids in stock and to be fair the BMW ones weren't that much more money. Hopefully as you might be able to see from the photos, they are coated.

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg
could have thrown a set of tarox discs on , they look lovely 😍

Silverstar

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Silverstar » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:34 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 am I have often wondered about brake disc “coating”. Doesn’t it just come off when you apply the brakes, or is it to protect the non-braking surface?
I am not sure but this is my thoughts as well. I'll let you know what happens once they are fitted and few miles put on.
Dave 2 dogs wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:09 am could have thrown a set of tarox discs on , they look lovely
They certainly are very nice but two things, they would clash with my 'fussy' wheels and they are bit overkill on this car I think. Actually make it three things....... the cost, around 400€ compared to 150€ that I just paid!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Rear Brake Discs

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:29 am

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 am I have often wondered about brake disc “coating”. Doesn’t it just come off when you apply the brakes, or is it to protect the non-braking surface?
It’s to protect the unswept surface.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold