Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Revisiting Cassettes Tapes

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:11 pm

Hi all,

Recently found my old music cassettes boxed up from the late 70s and 80s and thought it would be fun to get back into recording new tapes from CDs. I had back in the day a Sony Walkman which I wore out and then threw way. Looking at them now on Ebay I wished I'd kept it as asking prices for the higher specced players of the day are eye watering. Even ones sold for parts or non working are going for 100s :o unsure why really. I had a player model in mind but trying to find one that worked in decent condition that didn't cost over 300 quid and upwards was a challenge. Found one on Ebay in mint condition from 1985 but the seller was asking 320 quid :cry: which was just too expensive. Same model then popped up for 150 in VGC with a new drive belt fitted so made a cheaper offer took a risk and it duly arrived. Have to say I'd forgotten how good these things sound plus much more tactile and pleasurable to use than just streaming music to your phone or a DAC player. The seller also threw in half a dozen new blank metal cassettes so I could start recording. Unfortunately with my Bowers and Wilkins headphones one of the drivers had packed up but managed to pick up another pair for 40 quid hardly used so happy days.

Anyways, I was going to record the tapes on an old Sony Midi stack I've had since the 90s. Recorded one tape which sounds great on the Walkman but now the CD player on Sony stack has started to play up i.e. skipping all over the shop or saying the CD isn't loaded. My question is, has anyone ever taken one of these small mini stack players apart. I was hoping the CD players laser lens might just need cleaning hence the skipping or the CD tray gearing might need a clean. I imagine these hifi stacks weren't meant to be serviceable?

Their cheap to buy on ebay but no guarantee the CD player won't go the same way so just hoping it's an easy fix with the one I've got. I guess nothing to lose taking it apart.

I've been using a reel to reel tape deck for years to record when playing the guitar as find you can't beat the sound of tape over digital.

Thanks,

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:29 pm

Is it not worth getting a 'cleaner CD', the ones with fur on them IIRC, and trying that before dismantling the player? :?

I never had a real Walkman, as my parents were too tight to pay for one. I got a real cheapo 'Cathay' one for Xmas one year. It lasted about a month.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:29 pm Is it not worth getting a 'cleaner CD', the ones with fur on them IIRC, and trying that before dismantling the player? :?

I never had a real Walkman, as my parents were too tight to pay for one. I got a real cheapo 'Cathay' one for Xmas one year. It lasted about a month.
That's a good call :thumbsup: I never even thought of one of those, so the CD has a little brush on it, worth a go, so will get one ordered :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334554439117 ... media=MORE

Had to save up for my Walkman, used to go around to posh houses with my mate on a Sunday morning armed with a bucket and sponge 🧽 offering a car wash for 50p :)

Tim.

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:12 pm

Why?…..

This is going to sound way worse than any decent modern phone with earbuds or headphones… some things are best left in the past :cry:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:27 pm

True-Blue wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:12 pm Why?…..

This is going to sound way worse than any decent modern phone with earbuds or headphones… some things are best left in the past :cry:
But it doesn't though, not really, plus your missing the point, it's no different as to why you would prefer an ICE car than an electric car, I just like the mechanics of a tape player and using one. Not knocking digital music, listen to it all the time but it's not very tactile in how you listen to it, i.e. it's a boring way to listen to music even if its more efficient.

Same as why some prefer to listen to vinyl, static and all. Apparently sales of music tapes are taking off probably why the likes of old Sony Walkmans are going up in value.

It's a pity they got rid of Concord as it's never been bettered, sometimes the past is better :wink:

Tim.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:28 pm

Yearning for lost youth :lol: . I do get a lot of pleasure listening to my old vinyls. Sure they can be a bit crackly, but the sound seems so much richer. Not sure about tapes though, I have some in a box somewhere but binned my cassette player decades ago.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:32 pm

Zedebee wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:28 pm

Yearning for lost youth :lol: . I do get a lot of pleasure listening to my old vinyls. Sure they can be a bit crackly, but the sound seems so much richer. Not sure about tapes though, I have some in a box somewhere but binned my cassette player decades ago.
Love the tape hiss in between tracks :lol:

Tim.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm

I agree with this. I always want to listen to music the way the artist intended when recording. Todays available high end speakers, headphones and high quality streaming services get very close to that. If I want to feel something tactile while listening to music, I turn my champagne glass round and round in my hand. :D
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:55 pm

BeeEmm wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm

I agree with this. I always want to listen to music the way the artist intended when recording. Todays available high end speakers, headphones and high quality streaming services get very close to that. If I want to feel something tactile while listening to music, I turn my champagne glass round and round in my hand. :D
No good though if you're listening era is the 60s, good to listen to the music how it was recorded at the time :wink:

Tim.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm

I wonder if you can get a digital processor that you can feed in a decent digital signal in from and then make it sound like your listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night? :tumbleweed: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm

B21 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm I wonder if you can get a digital processor that you can feed in a decent digital signal in from and then make it sound like your listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night? :tumbleweed: :rofl:
Yes you can :? :lol:

Tim.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm

TitanTim wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm
B21 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm I wonder if you can get a digital processor that you can feed in a decent digital signal in from and then make it sound like your listening to Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night? :tumbleweed: :rofl:
Yes you can :? :lol:

Tim.
Splendid..let me have it pls?

I’ll crack a bottle lambrusco or blue nun to go with it :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:24 pm

B21 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:19 pm I’ll crack a bottle lambrusco or blue nun to go with it :thumbsup:
Go the whole hog and get Mateus Rose, then you can have a nice candle-holder when empty. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:34 pm

B21 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:03 pm Radio Luxembourg on 208 metres on a dark night?
Is that when it used to fade in and out ?? My Dad told me it was due to the waves and for ages I thought he meant the waves as it came over the sea :rofl:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:43 pm

TitanTim wrote: ↑Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:27 pm

But it doesn't though, not really, plus your missing the point, it's no different as to why you would prefer an ICE car than an electric car, I just like the mechanics of a tape player and using one.

Tim.
A more apt comparison would be ICE to a steam engine or a horse and cart.

So, you want your music to be full of distortion, hiss and crackles because it sounds…. Better? :tumbleweed:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i