Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Revisiting Cassettes Tapes

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:54 am

flimper wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:05 am To show a bit of solidarity I popped into the loft to show you a few of my tapes. It's not all about sound quality, nostalgia is a wonderful thing. And I always remember the sense of pride in using a metal tape :rofl:
Thanks for posting :thumbsup: great to see the old pre recorded tapes. I only have a few as most tapes I recorded myself from vinyl at the time. Some considering they're 40 years old now still play fine although others are giving a high pitch whistle which I think is a sign the tape is oxidising :( why I want to get back to recording new ones.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:59 am

pvr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:51 am IMG_5647.jpeg

I beat you with this recorder :lol:
Now you're talking :) great deck. Still on my shopping list maybe an Aiwa but bought the Uher deck I posted earlier last year as it was brand new old stock from 1985. Just something very satisfying with those decks and just using them :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:02 pm

N4LLY wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:39 am My first portable was one of these.....

https://storycase.co.uk/radio/tape-reco ... yer-cq-1k/

Funny enough i remember taking skiing in France in the early 80's
Used to buy the JVC Metal cassette tapes also.

Got some super old Cassette singles also , Prince - Batdance. Echo & the bunnymen - Crocodiles etc. must try dig them out (They coming back now, as did vinyl)
:thumbsup: They were good players, I wouldn't mind picking one of those up.

Modern equivalents are still being made,

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/fii ... an-4408034

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:39 pm

flimper wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:16 am Funnily enough I've never owned a stacking system. Always lusted after an Aiwa or Technics in my youth after suffering a childhood Saisho :rofl:
One of my first purchases when I started work was a Kenwood stacking system. It had a CD player too, very high tech for the time.
I then soon got the music 'bug' and moved on to Denon separates, a Technics turntable and Mission speakers.

Most Saturdays were spent drooling over the equipment for sale in my local Hi-Fi shop (B&B Hi-fi in High Wycombe)

Now got multiple speakers, two 59 channel a/v amps with a million watts per channel, Cambridge Audio DVD players, etc.

Nowhere near as good sound as a 2 channel stereo amp, a couple of floor standings and a turntable with a decent stylus.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 pm

The only items I still have from the time are my Philips MFB speakers, never heard anything sound better so far and thankfully they still work.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:00 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 pm The only items I still have from the time are my Philips MFB speakers, never heard anything sound better so far and thankfully they still work.
I still use my handmade pair of Castle 'Severn' floor standings. Beautifully made and sound really good.
They are worth virtually nothing now as a bit 'old fashioned' looking
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:50 pm

When are you all going to rush out and retro-fit drum brakes to your Zed’s…

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. :fuelfire:

Are you all going to start ditching your OLED’s and buying massive 32’’ CRT TV’s that take up more floor space than a sofa.

I need to keep working if this is what retirement does to you :o
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:06 pm

Smoking jackets anyone….

Just reading the instructions on my brand new tin of snake oil :thumbsup:
IMG_0302.jpeg
IMG_0302.jpeg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 184 times
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:28 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:50 pm When are you all going to rush out and retro-fit drum brakes to your Zed’s…

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be. :fuelfire:

Are you all going to start ditching your OLED’s and buying massive 32’’ CRT TV’s that take up more floor space than a sofa.

I need to keep working if this is what retirement does to you :o
So if an E Type V12 was dropped on your drive for the day you would say no thanks :lol:

I used to go to Airshows in the 80s flying from Coventry Airport in a DC3 Dakota. Now if I had taken the view no chance, too old fashioned, what an experience missed. Just saying :)

Tim.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:49 pm

You younger generation (I'm 76 so most of you are a younger generation) and nostalgia, cracks me up. Some older things are good to have, but when it comes to serious music listening very few things compare with quality stereo speakers and a good amp. Valve amps can be regarded as an old fashioned idea, and are probably the only amps I would buy today (new of course). At the moment I have two speakers with six amps (3 amps inside each speaker 'box' with one amp driving the bass, one the midrange and one the tweeter in each speaker). It also has a built in streamer). The sound is the best I have experienced. In 3 years time I might have something else, but if I do it will be new. Oh and by the way, I clearly remember changing needles on gramophones and wondering why they didn't slice through the plastic records. Better to drag than push, I suppose :)
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:59 pm

I’ve got a Technics record deck stored away but suspect it will need a new drive belt as the current belt will be as dry as a bone!

I’m another old goat who can still remember changing the needle and putting a sixpence on the arm of is Dansette record player!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:16 pm

Some old fashioned ways should never hve been done away with like, putting twopenneth in a toilet door to keep the riff raff out :)

Tim.

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:23 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:16 pm Some old fashioned ways should never hve been done away with like, putting twopenneth in a toilet door to keep the riff raff out

Tim.
It was an old penny when I used them, now it's one Euro or a pound. :o
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:05 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:23 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:16 pm Some old fashioned ways should never hve been done away with like, putting twopenneth in a toilet door to keep the riff raff out

Tim.
It was an old penny when I used them, now it's one Euro or a pound. :o
:lol: There used to be some Victorian underground toilets in the centre of town where I live and remember going down there when very small and it was a penny, (to spend a penny :D) but then it went up to 2 pence after decimalisation :lol:

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:27 pm

I got a Technics stacking system in the late 80s and thought it was great how the turntable could play both sides of an LP without it needing to be turned over. :)

But I got rid of it in 2005 after a house downsize meant there was nowhere to put it. We then had Surround Sound for the TV with an FM tuner and CD/DVD player but it just wasn't the same. That's when all my cassettes went too. :( Apart from these unused ones that somehow escaped the cull.

I do have a pair of Mission speakers now that sound great. And I've got the DSP set-up in the Z4.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black