Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First pics of our lovely new Estoril E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:47 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm Interestingly it was vouched for by another respected member too.
But my issues are nothing to do with him and he couldn't possibly have known.

I don't want this to become a 'virtual witch-hunt' TBH. I have more than expressed my disappointment and annoyance now.
On the bright side, other than the water and the lack of speakers, it seems a really good car. A bit gutless compared to the remapped one, but it's OK.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:48 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:44 pm I wonder if the rear light was damaged by the haulage company
Not likely.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:47 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm Interestingly it was vouched for by another respected member too.
But my issues are nothing to do with him and he couldn't possibly have known.
I didn't mean that at all.
I was trying to say that if someone else thought the same then it wasn't necessarily oversight on your part.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:55 pm I find it really depressing that you can't trust ANYONE anymore...
You can trust most people chum - not me though lol :evil:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:24 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:44 pm I wonder if the rear light was damaged by the haulage company
I paid £70 each for me new LED rear light assemblies from Autodoc, branded 'Magnetti Marelli'.... Not a huge expense and nearly all of the cars need them eventually regardless
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 am

Ah cr4p that’s not great

Let me know if you need help with anything on it you know where I am

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:15 am

bigwinn wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:33 am Let me know if you need help with anything on it you know where I am
Thanks Stu...appreciate it. I know you like a 3 series estate; I got one of them too now! It had a 102,000 point check yesterday and yet the coolant is still low! :roll: :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:45 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 pm
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:44 pm I believe Magneti Marelli is the OEM supplier for this part.
mcbutler wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:24 pm ... branded 'Magnetti Marelli'.
Magnet Marelli is the only OEM manufacturer worldwide for these tail lamps...
...with it's daughter Automotive Lighting (AL) in Italy.
viewtopic.php?p=1853315&hilit=magnet+marelli#p1853315
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:21 pm

So a little update on this for anyone who is remotely interested....
The car is now DRY, completely. It took a while to dry the boot compartment completely, as the foam around the hydraulic pump was sodden, so kept releasing more water once the bottom was dry. Took nearly two weeks.
I have noticed that the later cars have a re-designed foam piece, so the pump motor sits on a foam piece, whereas our previous 2013 car didn't have the extra piece at the bottom. Maybe BMW did this to help protect the pump from corrosion when water gets into the boot (rather than if).

I am not 100% sure how the water got in, but have a theory it was a combination of lack of maintenance to the rubber seals and cleaning the car with a pressure washer. :?

I also think the rear bootlid wasn't pulling down enough on the seals, so have adjusted this a little.

The cabin was also damp, but not wet. There were drips coming from the sun visor area along the top edge of the windscreen seal, along with quite a bit of condensation in the nearside rear light cluster (but no water as such).

I have gummi-pfleged every single rubber seal on the car, most were pretty dirty and a bit dry, so a sign they had not been done for a long time, if ever!

The car has been out in the rain since and left out in the rain with no new water anywhere. The inside has dried up and the condensation in the rear light has all but gone. I have a half cover which has been used already and will be used whenever heavy rain is forecast, just in case.

I will be keeping a close eye on it and re-siliconing all the seals in a few weeks. Hopefully that is all that is required.

I have yet to find the additional speakers, though!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:21 pm I have noticed that the later cars have a re-designed foam piece, so the pump motor sits on a foam piece, whereas our previous 2013 car didn't have the extra piece at the bottom. Maybe BMW did this to help protect the pump from corrosion when water gets into the boot (rather than if).
Interesting, as I never mentioned a difference between rather new ones and the elder ones in our cars. Do you have a picture of your old piece?

But, the chosen material of the foam tray always absorbs water and never protects the pump from corrosion. That's the reason, why I always put this foam in a plastic bag to protect the pumps.
E89_Foiled_Foam.jpg
E89_Foiled_Foam.jpg (123.28 KiB) Viewed 255 times
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:44 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:57 pm Do you have a picture of your old piece?
No Robbi, I don't. The old one never had water in so I never needed to photograph it! It could be that the old car had the foam removed and modified at some point, but then the pump would have been suspended in mid air, which it wasn't. I don't know. All I do know is I couldn't get the foam out from around the pump without ripping it as the pump is sitting on it and the previous car's foam was easy to remove. Ironic really, as the old one never needed removing but this one did!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:08 pm

Well, sometimes the foam is actually caked onto/below the pump. Then the base often tears off when the pump is lifted and a hole is created.

You should do the plastic bag trick. :thumbsup:

Just throw an eye on the E89 Maintenance threadv
viewtopic.php?t=130932
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

JakeS76

Post by JakeS76 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:42 pm

A private sale gives you Zero consumer rights in the UK. When I buy privately I factor a 2k slush fund into the price in case of problems like you've unfortunately experienced. I hope it all gets sorted without too much expense and you get to enjoy the car

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:55 pm

JakeS76 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:42 pm A private sale gives you Zero consumer rights in the UK. When I buy privately I factor a 2k slush fund into the price in case of problems like you've unfortunately experienced. I hope it all gets sorted without too much expense and you get to enjoy the car
The car is now sorted with no more leaks. Thanks, though! :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

obewan

Post by obewan » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:16 pm

I've just come across this thread and as the 'guy' who vouched for the car I'm a little shocked at the some of the accusations made.

I don't want to get into a tennis match, but having known (and previously worked with) the seller for a number of years, he is a million miles from the person being portrayed.

I can't comment on the speaker issue (first I've heard of it) - maybe an innocent mistake as already mentioned, but on the water ingress, my understanding is as follows:

Prior to the sale there were numerous emails, WhatsApp messages and videos sent to Pondrew in response to his questions.
In one of his messages, Pondrew asked if there was any water in the boot.
Seller went out to check, and admittedly didn't check properly as was 'sure' there wasn't, (as the battery was changed a few months earlier) and only quickly looked in the area around the battery not LH side under the pump

Talking to him recently, he's annoyed with himself that he didn't check fully. He's been advised that the water ingress is typical of a car washed regularly with a hose or pressure washer - this adds up as the car was lovingly looked after and cleaned weekly, hence why I had no hesitation in recommending it.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the car Pondrew, but I can assure you there was no deliberate intent by the seller to mislead.
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport