Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Uh-oh

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:47 pm

Lets hope it dries up okay and all is well :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Stash36

Uh-oh

Post by Stash36 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:08 pm

If you are in the position with the boot shut, but the rear shell is not locked in place, there may be a way to open the boot.
I've done the pin 12 trick recently, so can help if you end up with that....but try this first.

With another helper, lift up the rear shell just enough to get your hand under. each side Look for the micro switch that triggers when the shell is closed and hold it in the closed position. There is one at each corner, once both are closed by hand, you should see the flashing red light go out, and you can now reach over and open the boot via the roundel.
DO NOT have someone try and close the roof via button or the remote, if it triggers it will take your fingers off.

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Stash36 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:08 pm If you are in the position with the boot shut, but the rear shell is not locked in place, there may be a way to open the boot.
I've done the pin 12 trick recently, so can help if you end up with that....but try this first.

With another helper, lift up the rear shell just enough to get your hand under. each side Look for the micro switch that triggers when the shell is closed and hold it in the closed position. There is one at each corner, once both are closed by hand, you should see the flashing red light go out, and you can now reach over and open the boot via the roundel.
DO NOT have someone try and close the roof via button or the remote, if it triggers it will take your fingers off.
Cheers Stash, I plan to put the lock into service mode as soon as I get it open, I've done this before when working on the hall sensors.

Unfortunately my version of ISTA doesn't seem to have those that others have shown with the soft close element, mine only has window menu items and even they seem unresponsive.

I think I'll have to go down the other route and do the pin 12 trick. What steps did you take after exposing the fuse box and the bits you needed, was it a piece of wire to connect them?

RobbiZ4

Uh-oh

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Just follow the already linked thread:
viewtopic.php?t=144888
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Stash36

Uh-oh

Post by Stash36 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:57 pm

Bte123, who mentioned Ista? Read my post again, you can probably open the boot without the fusebox method. It works but is a pita

RobbiZ4

Uh-oh

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:11 pm

The correct way in Ist*a is via the JBE unit on top of the ECU diagram.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:25 pm

Stash36 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:57 pm Bte123, who mentioned Ista? Read my post again, you can probably open the boot without the fusebox method. It works but is a pita
it was mentioned earlier in the thread that there's a way to unlock and open the boot through INPA (and INSTA) but my installed INPA didn't have this option. anyway, shall be doing manual 12 pin method this week. thanks for the help.

RobbiZ4

Uh-oh

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:30 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:11 pm The correct way in Ist*a is via the JBE unit on top of the ECU diagram.
Even in INPA the same story:
this function is ONLY located at the Junction Box (JBBF).
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:29 pm

I think I have a further problem that I cannot think of a way around.

The problem with the roof seems to have drained the battery - putting the key in the ignition gives absolutely no result and trying to turn on the ignition the same - nothing.

Would the 12 pin trick still work with a dead battery? How does anyone get into the boot if the battery dies?

I've tried connecting the pin to the fuze with copper wire from an electrician friend but no result when I do this.

Any suggestions?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:41 pm

bte123 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:29 pm I think I have a further problem that I cannot think of a way around.

The problem with the roof seems to have drained the battery - putting the key in the ignition gives absolutely no result and trying to turn on the ignition the same - nothing.

Would the 12 pin trick still work with a dead battery? How does anyone get into the boot if the battery dies?

I've tried connecting the pin to the fuze with copper wire from an electrician friend but no result when I do this.

Any suggestions?
You need to use the main battery charging point in the engine bay..its a red plastic covered point near the bulkhead..remove the red cap and /or either put a jumper battery to that or a decent charger and recharge the battery..attend to charging the battery immediately otherwise it will be ruined and you'll need a new one of those to add to your woes..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:41 pm
bte123 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:29 pm I think I have a further problem that I cannot think of a way around.

Any suggestions?
You need to use the main battery charging point in the engine bay..its a red plastic covered point near the bulkhead..remove the red cap and /or either put a jumper battery to that or a decent charger and recharge the battery..attend to charging the battery immediately otherwise it will be ruined and you'll need a new one of those to add to your woes..
Thanks mate, this sounds like the next step. Though it's been a few days so could be completely dead. I'll give it a go with a charger and then see what happens.

Is the assumption that a battery with at least some charge in it should then mean the 12 pin trick will work?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:02 pm

bte123 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm

Any suggestions?
Thanks mate, this sounds like the next step. Though it's been a few days so could be completely dead. I'll give it a go with a charger and then see what happens.

Is the assumption that a battery with at least some charge in it should then mean the 12 pin trick will work?
Pin 12 trick only requires a small amount of power..that's not the issue..flattening your battery on a E89 is a very bad thing to do..I can't remember in the thread as to how odl the battery was..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:10 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:02 pm
bte123 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:53 pm

Pin 12 trick only requires a small amount of power..that's not the issue..flattening your battery on a E89 is a very bad thing to do..I can't remember in the thread as to how odl the battery was..
Yes I've heard this. The stupid thing is it isn't driveable at the moment so taking it out and keeping what little charge was left in it wasn't really feasible. It's all been a mess and timings have been keeping me from being able to do anything about it.

It was a cheap purchase 5 years ago as a cat s for some bodywork damage but I got the feeling it had been severely unloved in general for some time. Mechanically it's absolutely purring but electric l roof has been a bit of a persistent thorn - the hydraulic motor is shafted and I desperately need to replace it, so I can then lock the roof in place and then actually drive it.

I'm guessing the frm module might be fecked after the battery drain, I've seen some services on eBay which will re program it and send it back so will prepare to have to remove that too I think.

bte123

Uh-oh

Post by bte123 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:41 pm

Update:

popped the boot! i popped the boot!

had to reconnect a pin connector or two in the fuse box which id undone to get better access, put a jumper charger on through the point under the hood and then heard the sweetest of sweet sounds! thank god for you guys.

now... I've removed the pump from the hydraulic unit and am going to clean / dry it out over a day or two. i'll also be looking to dry out the entire footwell area, put some waterproof lining down (i have some waterproof tarp to use) and replace the foam (i've bought some from ebay).

for the life of me i can't work out where the water is getting in from. it isn't wet anywhere in the general area of the boot, only INBETWEEN the plastic layer cover and the actual fabric layer cover which covers the access to the battery / pump. very strange.

the next issue i might have is once the battery is charged the frm might be fecked, will have to wait and see.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Uh-oh

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 pm

The water usually comes through the rubber gaskets around rear lights or the vents in the boot...