Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:07 am

Ok, so the advertising banner at the bottom of the page keeps giving me 'Temu' adverts. Nine times out of ten they include dirt cheap watches. I then click on them and get drawn into the world of £9.89 Chinese tat watches which look a million dollars. Some are very, very lovely (mostly less than a tenner).

Has anyone ever invested a tenner in one of these cheap watches? If so, how long did they last and did they give you gangrene of the wrist?

I think I need one...or five! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by dr_john » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:59 am

I bought a ‘Rolex’ many years ago at a Spanish market for a tenner or so.

It looked like the real thing for a few weeks but soon became battered and worn, but still displayed the correct time.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Phoenixboy

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by Phoenixboy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:01 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:07 am Ok, so the advertising banner at the bottom of the page keeps giving me 'Temu' adverts. Nine times out of ten they include dirt cheap watches. I then click on them and get drawn into the world of £9.89 Chinese tat watches which look a million dollars. Some are very, very lovely (mostly less than a tenner).

Has anyone ever invested a tenner in one of these cheap watches? If so, how long did they last and did they give you gangrene of the wrist?

I think I need one...or five! :lol:
if you want decent quality rep watches, join Rwg forum.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

ekimj10

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:31 am

I've bought several bits and pieces, most expensive being electric razors and several metal watch straps, and I'm always amazed at the price and quality. I'd never spend more than £10 on any one item. The only downside is the 10 day wait for delivery and I've no patience. Go for it I doubt you'll disappointed.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Worcester_spoon

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by Worcester_spoon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:05 pm

Wouldn't go anywhere near Temu. Heard far to many stories of data misappropriation following purchases, especially financial data.

https://dataconomy.com/2023/10/02/temu- ... legations/
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

ekimj10

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm

Another website for cheap Chinese watches is Aliexpress. Bought watch straps from them once and again very cheap but couldn't fault the product and were quicker than Temu.
Worcester_spoon may well have a good point, I only ever buy from them using Paypal which affords some protection in the event of a problem, and so far so good.
I have read Temu have been investigated for use of child labour, but that's not exactly uncommon for that part of the world.
2.2R Toledo Blue

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:01 pm

Anything less than tenner in the watch world you can guarantee it will stop working after a short time. I bought a non branded watch recently for 9 quid off ebay for wearing in the garden and it soon stopped. Realised the back of the watch was sealed :lol: The strap literally fell apart after a few weeks. They're just throw away watches.

Around 60 quid is probably the minimum for something passable. I've had a couple off Ali Express, this one was 70 quid, built like a tank, well finished and has a Seiko V64 movement so decent.

Tim.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:48 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:01 pm Anything less than tenner in the watch world you can guarantee it will stop working after a short time. I bought a non branded watch recently for 9 quid off ebay for wearing in the garden and it soon stopped. Realised the back of the watch was sealed :lol: The strap literally fell apart after a few weeks. They're just throw away watches.

Around 60 quid is probably the minimum for something passable. I've had a couple off Ali Express, this one was 70 quid, built like a tank, well finished and has a Seiko V64 movement so decent.

Tim.
You don’t go out in public wearing that do you Tim…? :poke: :evil:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Cheap watches. Blame Jim

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:06 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:48 pm
TitanTim wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:01 pm Anything less than tenner in the watch world you can guarantee it will stop working after a short time. I bought a non branded watch recently for 9 quid off ebay for wearing in the garden and it soon stopped. Realised the back of the watch was sealed :lol: The strap literally fell apart after a few weeks. They're just throw away watches.

Tim.
You don’t go out in public wearing that do you Tim…? :poke: :evil:
:lol:

It's my bedroom watch :o

I knock about with this one in public :)

Tim.