Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Local Authority Recycling Centres (used to be tips)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:43 am

On a similar vein, we in Warwickshire have to pay £45.00 per wheelie bin if we want our green garden waste collected every 2 weeks. Last year was £40.00 per bin. We have 4 green bins but only pay for two licenses being tight.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:34 am

Our tip was ok just after covid, book a slot then off you, then they stopped the booking anti was just turn up but they limited the number of cars they allowed entry too, great idea but you could drive past the actual skips and see 2 cars in there and around the corner 50 queuing outside - the issue was that no-one at the gate could actually see the bloody skips, took about 3 weeks to get them radios so they could clear the question quicker.

Now the place is open 364 days a yearns need to show ID, just drive, staff are generally pretty decent although you do get the odd jobsworth.

The biggest issue at ours is that business have to £5 to dump stuff so the fly tipping does happen, cost thousands clean up, just allow business entry free twice a week and see if that reduces the fly tipping.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:29 am

Our tip in Newton Abbot is open as far as I know 7 days Week but they won’t accept certain things for free i.e. rubble, earth, tyres, plastic baths to name a few. If I want to use my van I need to register and I get 12 visits per year. Luckily it’s registered to me otherwise no go. No business reg vans. Fly tipping is on the increase, this is why. How pays? Us. :headbang: Yes Pondrew, I also remember the good old days of tipping everything at the tip years ago and being able to look for useful stuff that others had got rid of. Most of our tip workers are surly eastern Russians.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

IRD

Post by IRD » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:04 pm

ekimj10 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:43 am On a similar vein, we in Warwickshire have to pay £45.00 per wheelie bin if we want our green garden waste collected every 2 weeks. Last year was £40.00 per bin. We have 4 green bins but only pay for two licenses being tight.
We have a similar system here. The collection arrangements for our four different bins are OK. It is the tips where there are accessibility issues and councillors don’t listen to the voters. :headbang:

IRD

Post by IRD » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:09 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:29 am Our tip in Newton Abbot is open as far as I know 7 days Week but they won’t accept certain things for free i.e. rubble, earth, tyres, plastic baths to name a few. If I want to use my van I need to register and I get 12 visits per year. Luckily it’s registered to me otherwise no go. No business reg vans. Fly tipping is on the increase, this is why. How pays? Us. :headbang: Yes Pondrew, I also remember the good old days of tipping everything at the tip years ago and being able to look for useful stuff that others had got rid of. Most of our tip workers are surly eastern Russians.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. If business people could deposit rubbish free I’m sure fly tipping would reduce. What we are finding at the moment is that if you have any building/repair jobs done tradesmen won’t take away waste. We have just had internal doors replaced and had to pay over £200 for a skip to get rid of them.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm

IRD wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:04 pm
ekimj10 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:43 am On a similar vein, we in Warwickshire have to pay £45.00 per wheelie bin if we want our green garden waste collected every 2 weeks. Last year was £40.00 per bin. We have 4 green bins but only pay for two licenses being tight.
We have a similar system here. The collection arrangements for our four different bins are OK. It is the tips where there are accessibility issues and councillors don’t listen to the voters. :headbang:
Do they ever, oh yes, the run up to election time :evil:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:18 pm

No issue with the tips around here. Open pretty much every day and you just turn up. I used to take stuff in the car to work and then use the tip on my route home. Different county but never an issue. :thumbsup:

IRD

Post by IRD » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:19 pm

MikeyH wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:11 pm
IRD wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:04 pm
Do they ever, oh yes, the run up to election time :evil:
They claim they are listening and make promises, as do all politicians but then once elected it’s a different ball game.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 am

I can't get a green waste wheelie bin, as there are no more available and a waiting list even though you have to pay if you get one! But we are not allowed to put green waste in the general rubbish as that needs to go in a wheelie bin (comedy sketch material).
95% of our green waste is from the trees on the road outside our house; these are owned by the Council but they do nothing with them. All have TPOs on them yet the Council spend nothing on looking after them and when the leaves all blow into my front garden I can't get rid of them without driving to the tip or having a green wheelie bin (see above).

Just like to add that I pay Council Tax at band G rates which is currently £345.00 per month. I thought gas was expensive! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:47 am

Our garden waste collection went up from £36 last year to 42 for this year. The Council doesn't have to provide this service but from their point of view its extra income.

Our Council are looking to increase householder tax by 4.99% for the forthcoming financial year :cry: or by the maximum amount permitted. Its all about central Government pushing local Authorities to be more self funding hence why some are going bankrupt. Can't see this changing anytime soon soon, everything you pay your council will keep increasing, whether Council Tax, trips to recycling centre etc.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:18 am

We are mid Sussex council but actually use the Crawley tip. Since Covid they have a booking system which works very well as there used to be long queues sometimes before and there never are any now.

People working there are decent as well. You just use your car registration number to book, so no more showing of your address via some sort of id.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:57 am

pvr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:18 am We are mid Sussex council but actually use the Crawley tip. Since Covid they have a booking system which works very well as there used to be long queues sometimes before and there never are any now.
Oh yes, Lincs CC tried that one during covid but completely cocked it up! They would book too many 'slots' at the same time and the slots were too close together, so when some people were either a minute early or minute late, it backed up quickly. Then, of course, it was compounded by more people arriving at their designated time but it was queueing already.
Our tip is on a busy road with several large transport companies' depots on it, so the queueing traffic on the road from the tip was making it really dangerous. So the skip rats would then shut the tip gates and send everyone home!
Our Council made a good idea into a shambles and actually made more people gather in one place during lockdown/ covid.
You really couldn't make up how useless these people are. :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 am
I can't get a green waste wheelie bin, as there are no more available and a waiting list even though you have to pay if you get one! But we are not allowed to put green waste in the general rubbish as that needs to go in a wheelie bin (comedy sketch material).
95% of our green waste is from the trees on the road outside our house; these are owned by the Council but they do nothing with them. All have TPOs on them yet the Council spend nothing on looking after them and when the leaves all blow into my front garden I can't get rid of them without driving to the tip or having a green wheelie bin (see above).

Just like to add that I pay Council Tax at band G rates which is currently £345.00 per month. I thought gas was expensive! :)
It is like a comedy show. But so annoying and frustrating. What reason have they given you for not providing you with the green waste bin? The quality of service varies in Lincolnshire depending on which district council you pay your council tax to. If ours would deal with the tip issue and offer better accessibility I would be happy with the service.

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:17 pm

It seems that there is a big variation in the quality of service offered to council tax payers depending on where you live. Reading all the posts I have been surprised by the difference. I guess there are so many variables in the equation it would be difficult to find a satisfactory explanation.
But if one authority is able to do a good job surely the others should be able to do likewise.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:24 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:29 am

Collect the leaves and put them in a bin liner. Dump them on the doorstep of your local council office and see what happens
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White