Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Local Authority Recycling Centres (used to be tips)

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:32 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:34 am Collect the leaves and put them in a bin liner. Dump them on the doorstep of your local council office and see what happens
You get fined for littering :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:28 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:47 am Our garden waste collection went up from £36 last year to 42 for this year. The Council doesn't have to provide this service but from their point of view its extra income.

Our Council are looking to increase householder tax by 4.99% for the forthcoming financial year :cry: or by the maximum amount permitted. Its all about central Government pushing local Authorities to be more self funding hence why some are going bankrupt. Can't see this changing anytime soon soon, everything you pay your council will keep increasing, whether Council Tax, trips to recycling centre etc.

Tim.
Our council also want to increase by 4.99% - as they've done pretty much every year for the last 10. For once its closer to the actual rate of inflation than usual. Main culprit is reduced grant from central government- its a stealth tax if ever there was one!

Our 2 weekly garden waste collection fee was £30 but is going up to £60 next year. I probably use it 20 times a year so £3/collection which is cheaper and less hassle than taking it to the tip. In the summer it's usually packed to the gunnels and weighs a ton
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:41 pm

I have to pay £40/45 a year for a single green waste collection bin which I can cope with if I squint a bit. But then, come winter, they go from fortnightly to monthly for Dec & Jan (and probably Feb) which is when I have the most to get shot of as I cut back all the hedges over Xmas. Come the summer and the grass is annihiliated by climate change and doesn't need cutting so nothing to chuck out. Grr.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:07 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:41 pm I have to pay £40/45 a year for a single green waste collection bin which I can cope with if I squint a bit. But then, come winter, they go from fortnightly to monthly for Dec & Jan (and probably Feb) which is when I have the most to get shot of as I cut back all the hedges over Xmas. Come the summer and the grass is annihiliated by climate change and doesn't need cutting so nothing to chuck out. Grr.
Yes same here, bloody cheek if you ask me :evil:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:14 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:41 pm I have to pay £40/45 a year for a single green waste collection bin which I can cope with if I squint a bit. But then, come winter, they go from fortnightly to monthly for Dec & Jan (and probably Feb) which is when I have the most to get shot of as I cut back all the hedges over Xmas. Come the summer and the grass is annihiliated by climate change and doesn't need cutting so nothing to chuck out. Grr.
For £40, our small 'green waste' bin is collected fortnightly, starting 1st week of March, and ending last week of November.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm

Put green waste in a bin liner and put it in the general waste bin. Its free that way :D
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:30 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm Put green waste in a bin liner and put it in the general waste bin. Its free that way :D
Not meant to do that here and rummer has it that they sometimes check what's in the bins. :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:32 pm

Whilst on the subject of what's permitted in the bins, I have a non deployed air bag from an old car and don't know what to do with it. Any sensible ideas? :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm Put green waste in a bin liner and put it in the general waste bin. Its free that way :D
But that gets my goat though :evil: as I pay a fee for the privelage.

This was picked up on one of the my local community website group chats where someone had seen their neighbour bag their green waste up and put it in with normal household waste and it was duly collected by the bin men, no questions asked. The person then called the Council to question this and they said yes if you put green/garden waste in with household it will get taken away.

So the point of me paying a fee is?

I will contacting my local Borough Councillor to raise it with the Council as it's plainly a farce if no checking is carried out. The only checks that are carried out is with the Green Waste bins that are put out that the homeowner has paid the yearly subscription fee which is confirmed by a sticker on the bin.

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:06 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:32 pm Whilst on the subject of what's permitted in the bins, I have a non deployed air bag from an old car and don't know what to do with it. Any sensible ideas?
I also have one and am a bit worried about where to get rid of it. If I took it to the tip I can imagine they would cordon off the area and call the bomb squad.

There are a few you tube videos of how to deal with them, but don't come under sensible, unless you like the idea of living in a wheelchair. :o
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:06 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:06 pm
MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:32 pm Whilst on the subject of what's permitted in the bins, I have a non deployed air bag from an old car and don't know what to do with it. Any sensible ideas?
I also have one and am a bit worried about where to get rid of it. If I took it to the tip I can imagine they would cordon off the area and call the bomb squad.

There are a few you tube videos of how to deal with them, but don't come under sensible, unless you like the idea of living in a wheelchair. :o
I found out that my wife had put it in the non recycling bin last week but I managed to retrieve it before the bin men took it. I wonder how big the bang would have been when crusher thing did its work :headbang:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:06 am I wonder how big the bang would have been when crusher thing did its work
I am guessing (but don't know quite how they work) there would be no bang. But I don't really want to chance finding out.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:22 am

Perhaps the scrap yard? They must have a lot of them there
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:50 am

pvr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:22 am Perhaps the scrap yard? They must have a lot of them there
I must be loosing it with age, didn’t think of there :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:15 pm

Disposing of airbags is an interesting exercise. I had one and a couple of seatbelt pre-tensioners to get rid of once and popped them off at fireworks night. The tensioners are like firecrackers while the driver's airbag was impressive/terrifying when you realise where they're mounted.

Ideally you need an airbag connector to make wiring them easier, but otherwise, remove the metal protective tab that keeps the pins connected when out of the car, run a couple of long wires to the pins, place it on its back (ie face-planting side upwards) and apply 12v to the wires from a reasonable distance. Job done.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot