Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not a Project but...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

I've also fitted the new MAF today. Instantly knew it had worked as the maf read 0.0 kg/h with the engine off. Its a VDO unit from autodoc so probably a bmw part without the stamp (half the price of the stealers price!). I did some checks with my torque app and hey presto! The MAF reads and gives reasonable readings:
Screenshot_20240419_152813_Torque (Lite).jpg
Screenshot_20240419_152813_Torque (Lite).jpg (119.51 KiB) Viewed 107 times
So it seems the P0102 code this time was a faulty MAF. No need for the smoke test but I enjoyed making the machine and it's peace of mind that everything is buttoned up (also useful for the future).

P.S. I can now heel and toe :D.
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Wed May 08, 2024 9:37 pm

Almost a month since my last post and I've done another 250 or so miles. The engine is really strong, infact it feels stronger than it should be. I'd always thought the throttle response was pretty sharp since getting the car and when I press the sport button, nothing happens. I've done a little research (a little knowledge can be dangerous) and it could have been coded/mapped out. Is there any way to check this (apart from the obvious hold it at 25% throttle in third and press the button to see if it livens up)? Or is there any way to check if the button is working? I now have a C310+ and have looked into thr odes but nothing seems to be blazingly obvious that the sport button has failed (although this could be my limited knowledge of which codes would show this).

One thing I have noticed now I'm able to give it the beans is that the brakes are needing some attention/upgrades. Back in the day when I had my Cooper S EBC Yellow Stuff pads were the pads of choice but that was a loooong time ago. What are folks using now for a decent road pad that isn't going to send me out of a T junction before they've warmws up.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Not a Project but...

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 08, 2024 9:40 pm

Andrew J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:37 pm Almost a month since my last post and I've done another 250 or so miles. The engine is really strong, infact it feels stronger than it should be. I'd always thought the throttle response was pretty sharp since getting the car and when I press the sport button, nothing happens. I've done a little research (a little knowledge can be dangerous) and it could have been coded/mapped out. Is there any way to check this (apart from the obvious hold it at 25% throttle in third and press the button to see if it livens up)? Or is there any way to check if the button is working? I now have a C310+ and have looked into thr odes but nothing seems to be blazingly obvious that the sport button has failed (although this could be my limited knowledge of which codes would show this).

One thing I have noticed now I'm able to give it the beans is that the brakes are needing some attention/upgrades. Back in the day when I had my Cooper S EBC Yellow Stuff pads were the pads of choice but that was a loooong time ago. What are folks using now for a decent road pad that isn't going to send me out of a T junction before they've warmws up.
Not sure you can 'code' the sport button, but maybe it's had a remap? I believe they can do it through that?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Wed May 08, 2024 9:46 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:40 pm Not sure you can 'code' the sport button, but maybe it's had a remap? I believe they can do it through that?
It does have a K&N panel filter so potentially someone was looking for some performance. Is it possible to check the map with a C310? I'm guessing I'd need something a little more powerful to look at the tables in the ECU?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Not a Project but...

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm

Andrew J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:46 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:40 pm
Not sure you can 'code' the sport button, but maybe it's had a remap? I believe they can do it through that?
It does have a K&N panel filter so potentially someone was looking for some performance. Is it possible to check the map with a C310? I'm guessing I'd need something a little more powerful to look at the tables in the ECU?
[/quote]
I doubt it? I'd think you would need a remapp-ist to tell you.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Wed May 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Ah, I don't know any friendly remappers. Might have to park this investigation for now.

One thing that is slightly annoying is that it seems the steering wheel, or at least the airbag, has been off the car in the past as the bottom spoke of the steering wheel is loose. I didn't want to press it in the hope it just clicks back together but I've tried looking for steering wheel disassembly videos on YouTube and not found one where they show how the bottom spoke comes off (they all gloss over this part). I'll try and post a video tomorrow but if you know of a video that shows this then it would be good to try and get that back together. I don't really want to take the airbag off if I can help it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Not a Project but...

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 pm

Andrew J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:53 pm
Ah, I don't know any friendly remappers. Might have to park this investigation for now.

One thing that is slightly annoying is that it seems the steering wheel, or at least the airbag, has been off the car in the past as the bottom spoke of the steering wheel is loose. I didn't want to press it in the hope it just clicks back together but I've tried looking for steering wheel disassembly videos on YouTube and not found one where they show how the bottom spoke comes off (they all gloss over this part). I'll try and post a video tomorrow but if you know of a video that shows this then it would be good to try and get that back together. I don't really want to take the airbag off if I can help it.
Torx screws on the rear, but they screw into plastic on the front section which easily snap.
So try squeezing front and rear together while tweaking the screws, but you may find the damage is done.
If it's a standard wheel I can maybe help.

Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Wed May 08, 2024 10:10 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 pm
Andrew J wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Torx screws on the rear, but they screw into plastic on the front section which easily snap.
So try squeezing front and rear together while tweaking the screws, but you may find the damage is done.
If it's a standard wheel I can maybe help.
I don't think there any torx screws in the back as the holes feel clear. I fear you might be right about them snapping. I'll try and get a video tomorrow and post it here. Do the pieces just click together? They don't slide into a groove at all?