Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not a Project but...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Neens76

Finally Found One!

Post by Neens76 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 pm

Welcome.
Pics yet?
I use a half cover for all the reasons enuff_zed mentions- and mine will always live outside - but having had it cut, polished and ceramic’d, a half cover is ideal.

No idea on your “pick up” issue but you do hear of people mapping them but not for anything that would get you power gains.

Enjoy.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by pvr » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:19 pm

Mdecoder works for my vin fine, 2007si.

I used it to get the paint code of my seats
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 pm

Neens76 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 pm Welcome.
Pics yet?
I use a half cover for all the reasons enuff_zed mentions- and mine will always live outside - but having had it cut, polished and ceramic’d, a half cover is ideal.

No idea on your “pick up” issue but you do hear of people mapping them but not for anything that would get you power gains.

Enjoy.
No pic just yet unfortunately. Not had chance to get the car out and take it for a proper spin. I'd read about the power dips in the torque curve so it could be that. Probably replace the DISA and Vanos anyway.
pvr wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:19 pm Mdecoder works for my vin fine, 2007si.

I used it to get the paint code of my seats
Vin decoders have worked for me in the past so not sure what's going on. I've not used Bimmer work before but it keeps just going on a 15 second loop countdown refresh. Is this a thing with Bimmer Work and you just have to wait it out? Been sat here for a while now to no avail.

On the plus side I think the car has been specified with headlight washers but no xenons. Fingers crossed this means I can change to xenons or LEDs with no fuss at MOT time.
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:53 pm

I've struggled with VIN decoders for a couple of years now. :(

I'm pretty sure all 3 litre Z4s had headlamp washers as standard but Xenons as an option, although you don't actually need the washers for cars registered before 2009 even with Xenons fitted. But buying a pair may be expensive!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm Congrats.
I would suggest a half cover. It will stop water ingress but not damage the paint.
The door issue is most likely a stretched cable from the handle linkage to the lock assembly.
Fairly easy fix if you have small hands.
Still waiting on those photos 😁
When I open the door I have to simultaneously pull the handle and push the door in and then it opens. Is that typical of a stretched cable? Seems strange to have to shorten the route from the handle to the mechanism by pressing the door in to get it to open. I'm no motor fitter or mechanic so I'm more than happy to be educated on the subject :lol: .
Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:53 pm I've struggled with VIN decoders for a couple of years now. :(

I'm pretty sure all 3 litre Z4s had headlamp washers as standard but Xenons as an option, although you don't actually need the washers for cars registered before 2009 even with Xenons fitted. But buying a pair may be expensive!
It's a shame they dont work anymore but I am glad its not just me. I'll keep trying and see what happens. Ah! I wasn't aware it was only post 2009, even better.

I'd seen some xenon bulbs (I think) that didn't look expensive but not sure if they'd fit in the current housing without needing extra wiring, electronics etc. I've seen some LED kits that look fairly cheap and I think they fit fairly easily so might just go that route eventually. I had a quick run out tonight and to be fair, the normal headlights weren't as bad as what I'd read on here. They aren't great by any standards but I could see where I was going so it's probably a mod for later down the line.

Speaking of mods, before I went out I did the sound generator mod. :o :D blimey this thing howls! I only took out the bulkhead foam and it's loud enough for me. Might even be too loud! It's quite boomy at motorway speeds when you just want to nip out of traffic but I'll see if I get used to it before chopping up bits of foam.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Finally Found One!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:39 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm It's a shame they dont work anymore but I am glad its not just me. I'll keep trying and see what happens. Ah! I wasn't aware it was only post 2009, even better.

I'd seen some xenon bulbs (I think) that didn't look expensive but not sure if they'd fit in the current housing without needing extra wiring, electronics etc. I've seen some LED kits that look fairly cheap and I think they fit fairly easily so might just go that route eventually. I had a quick run out tonight and to be fair, the normal headlights weren't as bad as what I'd read on here. They aren't great by any standards but I could see where I was going so it's probably a mod for later down the line.

Speaking of mods, before I went out I did the sound generator mod. blimey this thing howls! I only took out the bulkhead foam and it's loud enough for me. Might even be too loud! It's quite boomy at motorway speeds when you just want to nip out of traffic but I'll see if I get used to it before chopping up bits of foam.
I bought my MC with a low washer fluid level warning light on. Filled it up after I got home and found all the fluid on the ground the next day because one of the jets was leaking. Got that fixed then took out Fuse 40 to stop them working!

All they seem to do is obscure your vision when they operate at night and put streaks up the wings! It's passed every MOT test without them.

I don't know about fitting Xenons or LEDs in Halogen fittings, but to be honest I could see where I was going in my 2nd E86 that had Halogens. Better bulbs like Osram Nightbreakers, etc. and clean lenses probably help.

I never experimented with the sound generator though. My 2nd E86 had a custom Cat-back system that gave it a lovely sound-track anyway.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:53 am

Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm
I would suggest a half cover. It will stop water ingress but not damage the paint.
The door issue is most likely a stretched cable from the handle linkage to the lock assembly.
When I open the door I have to simultaneously pull the handle and push the door in and then it opens. Is that typical of a stretched cable? Seems strange to have to shorten the route from the handle to the mechanism by pressing the door in to get it to open. I'm no motor fitter or mechanic so I'm more than happy to be educated on the subject :lol: .
Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:53 pm I've struggled with VIN decoders for a couple of years now. :(

It's a shame they dont work anymore but I am glad its not just me. I'll keep trying and see what happens. Ah! I wasn't aware it was only post 2009, even better.

Speaking of mods, before I went out I did the sound generator mod. :o :D blimey this thing howls! I only took out the bulkhead foam and it's loud enough for me. Might even be too loud! It's quite boomy at motorway speeds when you just want to nip out of traffic but I'll see if I get used to it before chopping up bits of foam.
That is exactly the symptoms of a stretched cable. Did one only last week. Bit fiddly to get at but an easy fix.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:59 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:53 am
Andrew J wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:06 pm

That is exactly the symptoms of a stretched cable. Did one only last week. Bit fiddly to get at but an easy fix.
Thanks for that. Did a quick search and found some YouTube videos showing the procedure. Does seem fiddly but for the sake of a couple of hours and a 10p washer I'll definitely give it a go. Are sticky door handles MOT failures?

Another thing I noticed on my drive yesterday was that I couldn't heel and toe. Whenever I pressed the brake the car would not apply throttle at all. Another search of the forum yielded some results and I think my vacuum hose is perished. Showing cracks along it so I guess this is leaking air into the intake. Another job to the list pre mot in April.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 pm

Why faff about? Fit a new door cable

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:05 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 pm Why faff about? Fit a new door cable
I'd read it was a right royal pita to do the door cable instead of just the washer spacer fix. A new cable it is.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Finally Found One!

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:35 pm

Andrew J wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:05 pm
I'd read it was a right royal pita to do the door cable instead of just the washer spacer fix. A new cable it is.
Door card off, handle off, carefully fold the membrane upwards, unbolt carrier and lock assembly and pull them out of the door. Fit new cable and put it all back together.

Andrew J

Not a Project but...

Post by Andrew J » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:42 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:35 pm
Andrew J wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:05 pm
Door card off, handle off, carefully fold the membrane upwards, unbolt carrier and lock assembly and pull them out of the door. Fit new cable and put it all back together.
If its that easy I'll have to give it a go :)
Last edited by Andrew J on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:28 pm

I'm going to start using this thread as a progress log so I can actually document what I've done.

Progress report:

Disa valve has been rebuilt and idle control valve has been cleaned. Not suprised it hunted on idle as the icv was solid. A few squirts of brake cleaner and a shake or two has sorted it out. X8r kit for the DISA has sorted that one too. What pita the yellow plastic flap holder bit is to get out. Anyway, both done and back on the car now. Just the rocker cover gasket to replace to get it back running again but I've got the full vanos rebuild kit from x8r as well so that'll be going on soon. Might be able to drive it soon :D.

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:35 am

I thought I'd give the vin decoders a last try today and mdecoder has worked :o finally!

So it turns out the car was specc'd with m sport suspension and smoker package (no idea what this gets me but I'm not a smoker :| ).

It doesn't mention the wind deflector so maybe this is aftermarket too. If it is someone has done a decent job of the install and has lined up the holes to well (this was a thing I was going to do if the Z I eventually got didn't come with one).

I was going to wait until I'd got some pictures of my own but because it's been off the road for some work here's some pictures of the car from the sales add. I will add some more of my own once I can get it on the open road.
Attachments
IMG-20240124-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240124-WA0001.jpg (167.79 KiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG-20240124-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240124-WA0000.jpg (119.5 KiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG-20240124-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20240124-WA0003.jpg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 263 times
IMG-20240124-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20240124-WA0007.jpg (167.02 KiB) Viewed 263 times

Andrew J

Finally Found One!

Post by Andrew J » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:09 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:35 am I thought I'd give the vin decoders a last try today and mdecoder has worked :o finally!

So it turns out the car was specc'd with m sport suspension and smoker package (no idea what this gets me but I'm not a smoker :| ).

It doesn't mention the wind deflector so maybe this is aftermarket too. If it is someone has done a decent job of the install and has lined up the holes well (this was a thing I was going to do if the Z I eventually got didn't come with one).

I was going to wait until I'd got some pictures of my own but because it's been off the road for some work here's some pictures of the car from the sales add. I will add some more of my own once I can get it on the open road.