Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Clutch replacement question for all the DIY grease monkeys lol

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 am

I have a 2003 z4 manual 2.5i with m54 engine. When I bought the car the clutch was already slipping with 170k miles clutch never changed. This is my first ever manual car that I bought to learn how to drive.

I want to replace the clutch myself but am fairly new to this.

What clutch should I get?
Car is stock and also only 2.5l. I want best drive ability.

Should I replace anything else while I am under there?

Throwout bearing?
Rear main seal?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:32 am

Deffo those two parts you mention as they are simple fixes

I always recommend replacing the dual mass flywheel- expensive but likely to need replacing if not now, very soon
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:10 am

Wow yah flywheel is fairly expensive. I will definitely change it if it shows significant wear and play but it’s a bit pricey for the car. Its a 2.5i and I do love it but if I see a reasonably prices 3.0i i will have to jump ships lol. If it was a 3.0i I would change it regardless. Is OEM the best for drivability?

Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 am

Wow yah flywheel is fairly expensive. I will definitely change it if it shows significant wear and play but it’s a bit pricey for the car. Its a 2.5i and I do love it but if I see a reasonably prices 3.0i i will have to jump ships lol. If it was a 3.0i I would change it regardless. Is OEM clutch the best for drivability?

Rsipad

Post by Rsipad » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:49 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:32 am I always recommend replacing the dual mass flywheel- expensive but likely to need replacing if not now, very soon
Although it's technically not supposed to be done, OP can also resurface their DMF if they want. There was only one guy in my area who could do it (because he was the only one with the proper machine) and he claimed he's done it for 100's of customers and none have come back with issues. I ended up being one of those customers :lol:
2006 Z4 3.0i (Montego Blue)