Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 code deciphering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 am

Apparently the engine adapts to every condition and components and their functioning. It would probably adapt to new O2 sensors with time, but very long time so you have to reset it manually to teach in again correctly. It has to be done via tester.

I don't think O2 sensors would cause rough idle or something like this. Rough idle would more likely be caused by coil plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensors. Or some more serious issues.

Mike6

E85 code deciphering

Post by Mike6 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:06 pm

Didn't think you had to reset anything after replacing the sensors. I didn't and haven't noticed any difference.

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:28 am

Mike6 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:06 pm Didn't think you had to reset anything after replacing the sensors. I didn't and haven't noticed any difference.
Are you talking about O2 sensors or all sensors in general?

Of course you don't have to reset engine adaptations for all sensors, but for O2 sensors you have to.

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:26 pm

x-driver wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 am Apparently the engine adapts to every condition and components and their functioning. It would probably adapt to new O2 sensors with time, but very long time so you have to reset it manually to teach in again correctly. It has to be done via tester.

I don't think O2 sensors would cause rough idle or something like this. Rough idle would more likely be caused by coil plugs, MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensors. Or some more serious issues.
Thanks for the info!

Would O2 sensor issues cause misfire errors though?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:33 pm

I don't think so. I'd replace the coil plug on the faulty cylinder first.

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:14 pm

x-driver wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:33 pm I don't think so. I'd replace the coil plug on the faulty cylinder first.
I've move two coils around. Didn't move the error code. Sparks are fine too and the car is showing no other sign of misfire. Idles fine, starts up fine. No issues through the gears and gives full power under load.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:41 pm

So except the fault codes your car runs totally fine? Try another tester for start. Clear all codes, go for a ride and read the codes again with different tester.

If you already did that, what codes you have now?

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:07 am

x-driver wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:41 pm So except the fault codes your car runs totally fine? Try another tester for start. Clear all codes, go for a ride and read the codes again with different tester.

If you already did that, what codes you have now?
Done all the above, and still have the same codes.
It's really confusing me. So unless it needs a good run because I only took it for 20 mins as I didn't wana run it too much given the misfire error. In my opinion it's not misfirig but I don't want to wreck the engine if it is indeed misfiring.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:22 am

How old are your spark plugs? Did you replace them or just visual checked them?

Have a look for some more vacuum leaks. Secondary air pump is ok?
Was CCV ever replaced?

Bad fuel is also a possible cause for misfire.

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:45 am

x-driver wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:22 am How old are your spark plugs? Did you replace them or just visual checked them?

Have a look for some more vacuum leaks. Secondary air pump is ok?
Was CCV ever replaced?

Bad fuel is also a possible cause for misfire.
I've never replaced the plugs so who knows how old they are..

I really can't imagine it'd be CCV or anything because I'd imagine a sensor for that would throw a code.

Bad fuel might be a shout because it hasn't be driven in 3 months but the check engine light did come on before that 3 month time period. And 3 months really isn't that long for fuel.
And again, I'd expect the car to be struggling under load for most of those things, no?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 am

Then I recommend you replace the plugs asap :thumbsup:

CCV won't throw a code. When it's bad, you might notice increased oil consumption, misfire might happen, some test for CCV is to open the oil cap when engine running. If you notice heavy vacuum when removing the cap, it is believed the CCV is bad.

Not every fault will show under engine load. Some will show when idling or driving moderatly (~2.000 rpm).

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 am

x-driver wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 am Then I recommend you replace the plugs asap :thumbsup:

CCV won't throw a code. When it's bad, you might notice increased oil consumption, misfire might happen, some test for CCV is to open the oil cap when engine running. If you notice heavy vacuum when removing the cap, it is believed the CCV is bad.

Not every fault will show under engine load. Some will show when idling or driving moderatly (~2.000 rpm).
I'll give it a go mate, thanks!
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am

All sorted, thanks to all that helped me sort this! As always, much appreciated.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

x-driver

E85 code deciphering

Post by x-driver » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm

Great! :D what turned out to be the problem?

Dr. Zed

E85 code deciphering

Post by Dr. Zed » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:03 am

x-driver wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm Great! :D what turned out to be the problem?
Mechanic asked me what the issue was and I explained the EML came on last year and has been since. Told him I'd replaced a section of split piping and both pre-cat sensors. Still nada. He rang me an hour later to say it was all sorted. There was a tiny split in another line that I missed but this wasn't the root cause. He wasn't 100% sure what exactly caused it.

He reckons it was a low voltage at some stage and it wrecked havoc with the ECU. Why this manifested itself as a random engine light on a random day last year and why it was then a persistent engine light for months he wasn't sure.

He also wasn't sure if the O2 sensors actually needed to be replaced but I'd done them the day before I dropped it in.

He cleared all the codes with some fancy reader and all done. He did a health check and smoke test too and said the engine was in perfect health.

So yeah, all done!
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85