Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for advice!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:06 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:53 pm The N52 is rock solid. You can expect the DISA and VANOS solenoids to require a bit of attention, but there’s no reason normally for the timing chain to need replacing. You should find out why, as it might be a sign of other problems.

Also, get in behind the seats and feel through the gap in the carpet for any signs of wetness in the underlay/insulation. This causes failure of the yaw sensor under the drivers seat and general condensation issues; normally as a result of failed door membranes or poorly fitting roof to window interface. On the invoice it said that they carried out a code scan and found a code for crank and correlation fault. Strip engine and check timing. Timing out and chain stretched. If this normal wear and tear?

Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 pm

Zedebee wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:53 pm The N52 is rock solid. You can expect the DISA and VANOS solenoids to require a bit of attention, but there’s no reason normally for the timing chain to need replacing. You should find out why, as it might be a sign of other problems.

Also, get in behind the seats and feel through the gap in the carpet for any signs of wetness in the underlay/insulation. This causes failure of the yaw sensor under the drivers seat and general condensation issues; normally as a result of failed door membranes or poorly fitting roof to window interface.
On the invoice it's said that they carried out a code scan and found a crank and correlation fault. Strip engine and check timing. Timing out and chain stretched. Is this normal wear and tear for a car that has a full service history?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Looking for advice!

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 pm

Paul345 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 pm On the invoice it's said that they carried out a code scan and found a crank and correlation fault. Strip engine and check timing. Timing out and chain stretched. Is this normal wear and tear for a car that has a full service history?
That sounds unusual for the N52 engine, although I have seen a couple of E9* 325is for sale as Spares or Repairs with cam-chain problems.

My personal experiences with four N52s haven't identified any cam-chain issues, but having had it replaced must surely be a good thing for that one?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:34 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 pm
Paul345 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:25 pm On the invoice it's said that they carried out a code scan and found a crank and correlation fault. Strip engine and check timing. Timing out and chain stretched. Is this normal wear and tear for a car that has a full service history?
That sounds unusual for the N52 engine, although I have seen a couple of E9* 325is for sale as Spares or Repairs with cam-chain problems.

My personal experiences with four N52s haven't identified any cam-chain issues, but having had it replaced must surely be a good thing for that one?
I agree with you! The whole job cost £2400.00. All main dealer parts.

Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:36 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:30 pm

And it was only done 6000 miles ago.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Looking for advice!

Post by Zedebee » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:30 am

Paul345 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:06 pm Is this normal wear and tear for a car that has a full service history?
No. If it was normal, then everyone on the forum would be enquiring whether the timing chain has been replaced when purchasing a car of this mileage (as they do with rod bearings on the “M” models). In this case, it wasn’t preventative maintenance, but fixing a problem. It could be a thrashed engine, or it could just be a statistic.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:59 am

Zedebee wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:30 am
Paul345 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:06 pm Is this normal wear and tear for a car that has a full service history?
No. If it was normal, then everyone on the forum would be enquiring whether the timing chain has been replaced when purchasing a car of this mileage (as they do with rod bearings on the “M” models). In this case, it wasn’t preventative maintenance, but fixing a problem. It could be a thrashed engine, or it could just be a statistic.
With your experience, do you think that i should i walk away from this one? And keep looking.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Looking for advice!

Post by Zedebee » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:48 am

I can only speak personally, in that I avoid cars with a history of trouble, but others may be reassured by the corrective maintenance done on this one.

If you like the car, trust the seller, the price is right, and you are comfortable with the history, then go for it. If you are worried, walk away, there are plenty out there. Not many 2.5Si, to be fair, but plenty of others.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Paul345

Looking for advice!

Post by Paul345 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:51 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:48 am I can only speak personally, in that I avoid cars with a history of trouble, but others may be reassured by the corrective maintenance done on this one.

If you like the car, trust the seller, the price is right, and you are comfortable with the history, then go for it. If you are worried, walk away, there are plenty out there. Not many 2.5Si, to be fair, but plenty of others.
Cheers for the advice m8!