Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions for other 2.5i manual owners

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:11 am

What RPM do you switch from 1st to 2nd?

I really don’t like 1st because its so damn jerky and slow if i have the slightest roll i can start or shift in 2nd. Usually switch from 1st to 2nd at around 2k rpm maybe sometimes slightly lower. But I feel a lot of times I have a big pause in movement while shifting 1-2 that would probably be solved by shifting later in 1st.

I am new to manual and haven’t had any teacher or given any advice. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong just doing what feels smooth to me.

Also what is the lowest rpm you stay in 5th?

I love the car but I really wish there was a 6th gear lol. It’s tons of fun but feels like the gears are all really close to each other then just revs out the rest of the way.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:37 am

Don’t listen to me as I drive an auto these days, but this is a sports car and should be driven a bit harder than changing up at 2k.

Also, removing the clutch delay valve improves the gear change for most people. Search for CDV on here for members’ experiences.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:07 am

Ya i just tried reving out 1st and it smoothed everything out. I’m definitely gonna do the delete too!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:14 am

I have a 2.2 which is basically the same. I find the easiest thing is to get out of first asap. I literally use it to start rolling then immediately go to second. The torque is sufficient to not really need first once the car is at walking pace.
So don’t rev it at all really, just clutch up, start to move, second.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:21 pm

Same here with my 2.2. As long as pointing slightly down hill 2nd is fine, I found early on that 1st is hopeless. My wife keeps asking why am I starting of in 2nd, use 1st. As above on uphill and flat just use 1st to roll a little then into 2nd and your off :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:53 pm

Oddly enough, I miss the flexibility of the 5-speed! Does your car still have the CDV active?

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:07 pm

I have the 2.5i and find first gear is really just for moving of from standstill and doesnt really help in accelerating. The gearbox on these early cars was recognised as fairly good with a reasonable gap between gears and when in 5th car pulls very well. The newer 2.5i post 2006 and known as the facelift has a reduced bhp output but benefited from a 6th gear. Never driven one of those cars so cannot comment. Around this time it all gets very confusing with the introduction of the Si.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:31 pm

Experimented today uphill. Accelerating smoothly up to 3500 revs in 1st and changing to 2nd seems to be what I do, I think I must do it without realising.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:04 pm

I've not had a Z4 with that drivetrain but I did have an E46 325ti Compact with the 2.5 litre M54 engine and a 5 speed gearbox.

I didn't tend to go much past 2,000rpm in first before I changed to 2nd (unless I was in a hurry) and it was perfectly happy with that. Getting the CDV removed and a new bush fitted to the gear linkage which was a bit sloppy definitely improved things.

If anything it might have been lower-geared than a Z4 as 70mph in 5th was more or less 3,000rpm but it would happily potter along in 5th at 40mph and still accelerate if required.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GadgetMart

Post by GadgetMart » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:48 pm

Ignore the CDV delete advice, it’s nonsense.
If I dumped the clutch in my 3.0si it would eat it in one go.
It’s there for a reason.
2007 Z4 E86 3.0si Sport
Silver with black leather
2008 Z4 E85 2.5i Sport
Titanium silver with red leather - Sold

Joez4

Post by Joez4 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:17 pm

GadgetMart wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:48 pm Ignore the CDV delete advice, it’s nonsense.
It’s there for a reason.
Don't dump the clutch then, most car manufactures still don't use this valve so dumping the clutch would destroy them wouldn't they?

In my opinion if you can drive a manual properly then remove the cdv, it's only there to compensate for people who can't operate a clutch
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:24 pm

Joez4 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:17 pm
GadgetMart wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:48 pm Ignore the CDV delete advice, it’s nonsense.
It’s there for a reason.
Don't dump the clutch then, most car manufactures still don't use this valve so dumping the clutch would destroy them wouldn't they?

In my opinion if you can drive a manual properly then remove the cdv, it's only there to compensate for people who can't operate a clutch
Joez4 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:17 pm
It’s there for a reason.

Thanks for the injection of humour 🤣
People who really know how to operate a clutch can do it equally well with or without a cdv. 👍🏻

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Joez4

Post by Joez4 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 pm

Well obviously you can learn the characteristics of the clutch with a cdv fitted just like you would any clutch but in my experience the cdv makes you drive like a granny hardly what you want from the ultimate driving machine is it.
04 2.2i Sapphire Black Roadster

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm

I've had the CDV removed from my last 5 BMWs and never had a problem, but then I don't just dump the clutch!

I learnt years ago that wasn't a good idea when I blew up the diff in a 2.8i Capri. :lol:

But the change from 1st to 2nd tends to be improved once the CDV is in the bin.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:42 pm

Joez4 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 pm Well obviously you can learn the characteristics of the clutch with a cdv fitted just like you would any clutch but in my experience the cdv makes you drive like a granny hardly what you want from the ultimate driving machine is it.
Methinks you need to practice more granny.
Or should have been born early enough to learn on 70s and 80s cars. :D