Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vacuum Control, DISA, ICV and Vanos

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 pm

Think I’d double check that hose is on properly.
Possibly not aligned so the air box was applying force on the hose and it’s opened it up again?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:15 pm

Think I'll definitely need to take the DISA off. I got the lug on the new boot to line up on the throttle body but it wasn't easy getting the sound generator on either. Probably is misaligned thinking about it. Won't get chance to look at it for over a week now so will have a go then and see how it's lined up.
Z4 E89 28i Sapphire Black - gone
Z4 E85 3.0i Sapphire Black

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm

So I had another go at the inlet duct replacement today. I hadn't got the sound generator pipe in fully which must have been causing the air leak still. Got it all buttoned back up and cleared the codes (so I thought). My code reader shows logged codes and pending codes (my app says this is an unverified code?). There's no logged faults but there is still a pending code, P0102. The car will still not heel and toe. Do I need to take it for a run to clear the pending codes aswell? I'm hoping not as the car is now smoking from the exhaust side. I looked underneath and couldn't see any oil on the ground so not sure where this smoke is coming from. It seems I haven't bought a good one after all :( .

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Andrew J wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm So I had another go at the inlet duct replacement today. I hadn't got the sound generator pipe in fully which must have been causing the air leak still. Got it all buttoned back up and cleared the codes (so I thought). My code reader shows logged codes and pending codes (my app says this is an unverified code?). There's no logged faults but there is still a pending code, P0102. The car will still not heel and toe. Do I need to take it for a run to clear the pending codes aswell? I'm hoping not as the car is now smoking from the exhaust side. I looked underneath and couldn't see any oil on the ground so not sure where this smoke is coming from. It seems I haven't bought a good one after all :( .
Possibly a top cover gasket leak. They let oil onto the manifold that then burns off. Easy fix.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:31 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 pm
Andrew J wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:27 pm So I had another go at the inlet duct replacement today. I hadn't got the sound generator pipe in fully which must have been causing the air leak still. Got it all buttoned back up and cleared the codes (so I thought). My code reader shows logged codes and pending codes (my app says this is an unverified code?). There's no logged faults but there is still a pending code, P0102. The car will still not heel and toe. Do I need to take it for a run to clear the pending codes aswell? I'm hoping not as the car is now smoking from the exhaust side. I looked underneath and couldn't see any oil on the ground so not sure where this smoke is coming from. It seems I haven't bought a good one after all :( .
Possibly a top cover gasket leak. They let oil onto the manifold that then burns off. Easy fix.
When the engine is cold run your fingers along the top cover gasket feeling for oil, especially at the rear corner on the drivers side :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:44 pm

patriot66 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:31 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 pm
When the engine is cold run your fingers along the top cover gasket feeling for oil, especially at the rear corner on the drivers side :thumbsup:
Thanks for this chaps. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get chance. Scared the hell out of me when I saw smoke rising up from behind the bonnet after I started it up to check the codes. Hopefully I can get it road worthy soon and enjoy it.

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am

So I checked the rocker cover gasket and there's definitely oil leaking out of the drivers side of the engine at the rear. Looks like it'll need one of those.

I'm still getting the P0102 code and I checked the MAF flow on my app and it wasn't registering a flow at all. I tried wriggling the wire which didn't change the signal so I'm concluding that something is wrong with the MAF/wiring too.

There's also very little oil in the engine itself so I'm going to have to service it too. It never rains but it pours!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:17 am

Andrew J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am So I checked the rocker cover gasket and there's definitely oil leaking out of the drivers side of the engine at the rear. Looks like it'll need one of those.

I'm still getting the P0102 code and I checked the MAF flow on my app and it wasn't registering a flow at all. I tried wriggling the wire which didn't change the signal so I'm concluding that something is wrong with the MAF/wiring too.

There's also very little oil in the engine itself so I'm going to have to service it too. It never rains but it pours!
Get a good gasket set. I use Elring.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314236176008
Make sure you block the oilways before trying to remove any gasket left stuck on the head. It becomes very brittle and will possibly break into myriad tiny pieces.

If you disconnect the MAF the DME runs a default map. Try that just in case it sorts the problem and proves a duff MAF.

Oil change is the simplest thing. The sump drain is near the back of the block so you can happily put the front end up on ramps to get better access. Use a decent oil filter as cheapo ones can collapse and cause weird noises.
I normally use Mann.

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:17 am
Andrew J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:08 am So I checked the rocker cover gasket and there's definitely oil leaking out of the drivers side of the engine at the rear. Looks like it'll need one of those.

Get a good gasket set. I use Elring.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314236176008
Make sure you block the oilways before trying to remove any gasket left stuck on the head. It becomes very brittle and will possibly break into myriad tiny pieces.

If you disconnect the MAF the DME runs a default map. Try that just in case it sorts the problem and proves a duff MAF.

Oil change is the simplest thing. The sump drain is near the back of the block so you can happily put the front end up on ramps to get better access. Use a decent oil filter as cheapo ones can collapse and cause weird noises.
I normally use Mann.
I did unplug the MAF to change the inlet duct but I didn't run the car with it disconnected. I'm probably being a bit dim here but if I run the car without the MAF connected, what am I looking for? Will the P0102 code disappear?

On the note of gaskets, I was thinking about doing the vanos seals anyway so I might just get the whole kit from x8r along with the disa and do that at the same time but thanks for the recommendation.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Andrew J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:30 pm I did unplug the MAF to change the inlet duct but I didn't run the car with it disconnected. I'm probably being a bit dim here but if I run the car without the MAF connected, what am I looking for? Will the P0102 code disappear?
Not sure tbh. It was just a hope that it would prove or disprove the MAF.

colb

Post by colb » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Maf's either work or they don't cleaning them with Maf cleaner may solve any issue they have or completely kill them, that's what happened to mine. Unplugging it will cause the DME to run in default mode, if you do that the car should run a little better if the fault is with the Maf misreporting what its seeing passing through it.
Air leaks are the most common cause of bad running as air that's getting in post the Maf sensor will be picked up by the exhaust sensors and make the car think its running lean. As a consequence of this the DME instructs more fuel to be input by the injectors to richen the mixture. This will go on until its injecting more fuel until it reaches 20% more fuel being injected before it realises its not solving the issue and will light up the EML to draw attention to the fault. Air leaks can be anywhere across the engine, usually its the rubber inlet boot from Maf to Throttle body that splits. However check all rubber and plastic vacuum pipes/hoses and cam cover gaskets for leaks, if oil is getting out air can get in. The O ring in the dipstick tube can also be the cause. Worth checking the rear underside of the intake manifold, this has rubber blanking plugs that perish and fall off allowing air to get in and upset the fuel trims. Really worth looking at fuel trims using a decent scanner to see what they are doing, high readings can be a tell-tale that you have air leaks. A smoke test is a good way to find air leaks that can't be found doing a visual check.
If you are going to replace the Maf use only oem brands Bosch or Siemens do not waste money on cheap versions they rarly work or last long, been there done that.
Code would need to be cleared, it won't go away on its own with a replacement Maf being fitted.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:39 pm
Andrew J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:30 pm I did unplug the MAF to change the inlet duct but I didn't run the car with it disconnected. I'm probably being a bit dim here but if I run the car without the MAF connected, what am I looking for? Will the P0102 code disappear?
Not sure tbh. It was just a hope that it would prove or disprove the MAF.
I'll try this and see if it solves the maf not reading.
colb wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:36 pm Maf's either work or they don't cleaning them with Maf cleaner may solve any issue they have or completely kill them, that's what happened to mine. Unplugging it will cause the DME to run in default mode, if you do that the car should run a little better if the fault is with the Maf misreporting what its seeing passing through it.
Air leaks are the most common cause of bad running as air that's getting in post the Maf sensor will be picked up by the exhaust sensors and make the car think its running lean. As a consequence of this the DME instructs more fuel to be input by the injectors to richen the mixture. This will go on until its injecting more fuel until it reaches 20% more fuel being injected before it realises its not solving the issue and will light up the EML to draw attention to the fault. Air leaks can be anywhere across the engine, usually its the rubber inlet boot from Maf to Throttle body that splits. However check all rubber and plastic vacuum pipes/hoses and cam cover gaskets for leaks, if oil is getting out air can get in. The O ring in the dipstick tube can also be the cause. Worth checking the rear underside of the intake manifold, this has rubber blanking plugs that perish and fall off allowing air to get in and upset the fuel trims. Really worth looking at fuel trims using a decent scanner to see what they are doing, high readings can be a tell-tale that you have air leaks. A smoke test is a good way to find air leaks that can't be found doing a visual check.
If you are going to replace the Maf use only oem brands Bosch or Siemens do not waste money on cheap versions they rarly work or last long, been there done that.
Code would need to be cleared, it won't go away on its own with a replacement Maf being fitted.
Thanks for the response. When I had the car running it was running pretty good. I do remember now that there was a hissing noise which I think was from thr inlet ductcwhich I've changed. The leak can't be too bad as the car hasn't thrown an EML even with thr inlet duct leak. I'll check on realoem where the bungs are and see if they've perished. I might change the dipstick o ring too however it was pretty tight to get out so I suspect it isn't this. I did notice there is fuel trims on my app so will investigate them next time. I'd read that about ebay cheapo MAFs but thanks for the heads up.

With regards to the oil out air in case, can you reuse the rocker cover gasket? By reuse I mean I'm looking to change the vanos seals at some point and the full kit comes with a new rocker cover gasket so I was going to buy the full kit and just replace the vanos seals later in the year once the car is running and my fingers aren't going to fall off because of the cold. If you can't reuse it I'll just buy a gasket now and get the full kit later down the line.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't reuse the gasket that is currently on the car :lol:

colb

Post by colb » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:32 pm

Newish gasket should be ok for reuse with gasket sealant only around the half moon shapes at the front and rear of the head and between the Vanos these locations are where the gasket changes direction and ensures a good seal. Its probably not had time to degrade but do check the condition you find it in and replace just the main gasket if there are any signs of damage or hardness.
Gaskets degrade over time and repeated heat cycles, they end up hard and brittle often cracking and allowing oil out and air in. The centre plug well gaskets are also prone to degrading, worst case is oil being allowed into the plug wells and fouling plug and ignition coils on the plugs.
I use Elring brand gasket sets that include the round rubber cover seals that are under the retaining bolts. These also go hard and prevent an accurate torque down on the gasket to provide an oil/airtight seal on the cover. Always replace as a set. Done a few E85's now for members and myself and not had any come back with leaks.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:03 pm

I haven't checked the centre plug wells yet but I was going to just change them anyway as well as the bolt seals. X8r do an elring set that I was going to get.

I popped the bonnet again today whilst it was sunny out to spy where the oil leak has got too. Its coated the exhaust down pipe and the heat shield where it bends round at the bottom. Once I've done the gasket I was going to clean the area but I didn't want to soak any sensors lurking in the depths down there. Does anyone know if there's any I should be careful of? Only one I can see is a lambda sensor I've spotted on the exhaust.

Andrew J

Post by Andrew J » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:21 pm

So I've got the x8r disa kit and full vanos kit. Looking to start these two jobs this weekend. I've done a bit of research from forum surfing and the University of youtube around vanos removal and most folks seem to remove an engine mount and lower the engine or massage the crossmember away from the unit with a big stick. I'm loath to do bend the structure of the car and jacking the car isn't really an option
as I don't have readily available axle stands to get the car up on (was hoping to do these jobs without jacking the car up). As I understand it (could be wrong here) the bolts for the vanos units are just studs in the head so in theory they could be removed? Potentially with a second nut? Is there room and threads to do this? It would save a lot of faff having to get the car up and then removing a mount then jacking the engine down or bending the car/breaking whatever I'm levering against.