Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fly wheel, Vanos, clutch exausts 35i

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MaxSheperd

Post by MaxSheperd » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:16 pm

Hello there,
I hope I find you all well,

I was wondering if you could help me with something. I am in the process of changing the following as the car is over 100k miles. it s a e89 35i.

Fly wheel Part number 21207590853 the one at the back of the engine.
exhaust vanos adjusters BMW Original part 11367540348 11367540347

1- do you know if these parts need some sort of installation with ISTA? or any other software?
2- you think the clutch should be replaced too (the one in the gearbox)?
3- we have two 35i, the exaust of one barks a lot compared to the other one, do you know if this is because one could be the M sport package? the cars have original part from all we can tell.

thanks!

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:19 pm

Hi Max, I can't help with most of that, but as far as I'm aware the 35i only came with one exhaust option, so one of them either has a fault or has been modified.

The sport exhaust was only on the 35iS.

Modifications could be invisible, for example software tweaks with MHD.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:20 pm

MaxSheperd wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:16 pm Hello there,
I hope I find you all well,

I was wondering if you could help me with something. I am in the process of changing the following as the car is over 100k miles. it s a e89 35i.

Fly wheel Part number 21207590853 the one at the back of the engine.
exhaust vanos adjusters BMW Original part 11367540348 11367540347

1- do you know if these parts need some sort of installation with ISTA? or any other software?
2- you think the clutch should be replaced too (the one in the gearbox)?
3- we have two 35i, the exaust of one barks a lot compared to the other one, do you know if this is because one could be the M sport package? the cars have original part from all we can tell.

thanks!
I cannot claim any experience with this model, but pure common sense and 40+ years car maintenance experience is telling me that if you are changing the flywheel it would be pure folly not to fit a new clutch......... assuming we are discussing a manual gearbox?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 pm

No s/w required for flywheel..

VANOS will need a confirmation check via ISTA I believe but never tried that..

At 100k a new clutch is a good idea as others suggested

The 35is exhaust is a bi louder than the 35i exhaust if that was your question..

The other answer is left hand side is always open..right hand side opens under cerrtain circumstances, the control valbe (pneumatic) may be jammed....also
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

Dave 2 dogs

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 pm

Has someone done the golf T mod on the louder one…maybe before you brought it ? That would make it louder

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 pm

Absolutely no need to change anyhting unless its giving you a problem.
So far as the exhaust note being different - get a torch and look up the drivers side tailpipe, if the car is turned off or idling you should see a metal flap closed across the exhaust pipe about 30cm inside the pipe. If the valve is open on idle or when turned off it suggests either a seized valve or a mod has been done called a 'golf tee' mod.
If you find the valve is stuck open look on the outside of the pipe adjacent to the valve and you will see a small circular device connected to a rubber tube. This is the vaccum servo that operates the valve when required. If the car has the previously mentioned mod the rubber pipe will be disconnected and something used to block it (a golf tee is popular), the metal pipe on the servo that it pushes onto will also be blocked by something, usually a small rubber cap
The valve normally opens in sport mode when driving in a spirited fashion.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather