Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Selling through Motorway

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by TitanTim » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:47 pm

I don't think I would ever sell a motor especially a performance car privately again. Far too risky these days and too many ijuts and messers about which really only leaves a dealer or the likes of Mototway etc.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Selling through Motorway

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:19 pm

Or forum perhaps if known person
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Selling through Motorway

Post by B21 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:52 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:19 pm Or forum perhaps if known person
Especially not a forum member … :headbang: :thumbsdown:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Selling through Motorway

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm

Hence the caveat - known person, not a fresh joiner
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by TitanTim » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:44 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm Hence the caveat - known person, not a fresh joiner
Isn't there a saying never sell anything to family or friends :?

Having said that they're a rung above a stranger.

Reminds me when I put a set of BMW alloys up for sale on ebay for 800 quid and I had an idiot messaging offering 400 quid which I declined. The wheels were worth the asking price. Person wouldn't leave me alone and then said they were in my town on such a day and would give me 400 quid cash. I still declined and they then became abusive and said they knew where I lived etc :cry: Next day they apologised and offered me 500 quid :lol: Ridiculous. Still declined and then told me to F myself. Eventually sold the wheels to a nice chap with a 3 Series who drove up from London, but have to say selling anything on the likes of ebay, Autotrader I don't think I would use them, just unnecessary stress.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Selling through Motorway

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 pm

Yes, I do remember the issues with Pondrew and John-E89 now where it wasn't quite working as one would hope ...

Lets rephrase it as sell to "some" forum members :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

N4LLY

Selling through Motorway

Post by N4LLY » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:37 pm

I will be advising the family to dispose of my cars via the Mororway, way.
Do not want to burden them with any hassles

Get the plate offf first though :lol:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm

I much prefer selling cars privately, as I haven't had any real problems with buyers, or sellers, TBH.
I know I shouted my mouth off about the E89 I just bought but that was because I was annoyed I wasn't told the 100% truth. Now I've calmed down and sorted the water issues, it is still a very good car.
The Z3 I bought was sold by a dodgy liar, yes, but it is still a very good car for the money and for what I want it for.
I am EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to buying (and selliing) cars. I tend to pay high prices but I expect the price to be justified by the quality of the product. I also am starting to understand that everyone's idea of 'immaculate' is wildly different, especially when selling!

The Mazda would not have been worth selling privately, as the difference in money I could have achieved would not have been worth the extra effort or potential aggravation.

The other four cars sold privately in the last couple of years were all easy and sold to decent buyers. If I had sold my Type R to the trade I would have lost over £4k against what I did sell it for. £4k is a lot of money to me!
Three of those four were sold 'blind' with no viewings until payday. The other was sold to a long-standing forum member on here who I knew I could trust; this was cemented the instant I spoke to him on the phone.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Selling through Motorway

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:40 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm The other was sold to a long-standing forum member on here who I knew I could trust;
Well, have you got your cash that you lost in the car back yet? :poke:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:40 pm Well, have you got your cash that you lost in the car back yet?
Yes, more than ten fold actually! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Selling through Motorway

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 pm

What are you, a loan shark? What sort of interest rate was that on a few pounds :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:18 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 pm What are you, a loan shark? What sort of interest rate was that on a few pounds
You're only grumpy because you are no longer the richest man on the forum (Mr 3 Corvettes in the US is). :poke: :P

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

coldel

Selling through Motorway

Post by coldel » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:22 pm Mine is up for sale already! And the cheeky feckers have used MY photos in the ad taken from the Motorway site!
https://www.carbase.co.uk/used/mazda/3/ ... v65273153/
Took the photos with the DSLR in 'Auto' mode eh :poke:

I used to be well up for DSLR pics but the software that replicates the F number and depth of field of a lens is so good nowadays its so much easier on a phone, and that you can just have it automatically backup to iCloud which you can just log in to on your PC - you dont actually have to do anything in the way of transferring photos.

I wish I had given Motorway a try when my inlaws were selling, they tried WBAC but the dealer tried to pull their pants down when they took it down there so walked away (easier to pick on 80 year old pensioners I guess). In the end they took it back to the dealer they bought it from who gave them a good price for it.

I have always sold privately (in an old fashioned way like how Pond takes photos :P ) and had the odd time waster here and there but on the whole had really good buyers, it has been nice to meet these people and see them drive off with a big smile on their face. The guy that bought my VX220 Turbo (which was absolutely mint full retrimmed interior etc) pops up on PH occasionally to tell me how much he is enjoying the car, its only a small thing but it does warm the heart knowing it went to a good owner. I always caveat my adverts when selling cars that time wasters will not be responded to...seems to filter them out from even bothering to contact me.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Selling through Motorway

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:59 pm

I always used to sell privately when dealers gave discount for cash without a trade in but those days seem to be long gone because now they want you to take a loan so a cash purchase is no longer preferential