Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

air noise at highway speed

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:22 pm

Hi mates, I have quite the annoying problem. There is a slight gap on the back of my window between the soft top, this just started maybe a month ago but air passes through at higher speeds and its veryyy annoying. I know the window can be adjusted up or down, but the fitment on the top is just fine. Maybe I could heat up the rubber seal on the soft top and then stretch it just a tad to close the gap?
3.0i z4, every aero mod on the planet, stage 3 intake swap + tune. Remember guys, you can't fail if you don't try. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:46 pm

The adjuster bolt that holds the bottom rear corner of the glass has a tendency to work loose.
Door panel off, lower the window until you can see the Torx screw head through the access hole, loosen a little, lift the glass and tighten it.
Ideally it needs some threadlock on the screw, but taking it completely out to apply that will cause it all to come apart if you're not careful.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:50 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:46 pm The adjuster bolt that holds the bottom rear corner of the glass has a tendency to work loose.
Door panel off, lower the window until you can see the Torx screw head through the access hole, loosen a little, lift the glass and tighten it.
Ideally it needs some threadlock on the screw, but taking it completely out to apply that will cause it all to come apart if you're not careful.
blehhh I was trying to avoid taking the panel off, poor me
3.0i z4, every aero mod on the planet, stage 3 intake swap + tune. Remember guys, you can't fail if you don't try. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:52 pm

solo_the_lad wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:50 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:46 pm The adjuster bolt that holds the bottom rear corner of the glass has a tendency to work loose.
blehhh I was trying to avoid taking the panel off, poor me
Well I've only added 20 minutes to your day. :wink:
That's off and back on again.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Gaz_E85

Post by Gaz_E85 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:35 pm

I had the exact same issue recently after a regulator replacement and my pal managed to adjust via the bottom of the door, without taking the panel off 🤨

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:38 pm

Gaz_E85 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:35 pm I had the exact same issue recently after a regulator replacement and my pal managed to adjust via the bottom of the door, without taking the panel off 🤨
That is to tip the top of the glass further in. If it’s dropped you need to raise it.

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:38 pm
Gaz_E85 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:35 pm I had the exact same issue recently after a regulator replacement and my pal managed to adjust via the bottom of the door, without taking the panel off 🤨
That is to tip the top of the glass further in. If it’s dropped you need to raise it.

well I adjusted it as you said, and now the car noise is gone...from that part of the window. A new gap has been created at the front! Should've just got the coupe :cry:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:37 pm

solo_the_lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:38 pm

well I adjusted it as you said, and now the car noise is gone...from that part of the window. A new gap has been created at the front! Should've just got the coupe :cry:
Ok. So go back to the adjustment I mentioned. You will find it also enables the glass to be moved forward.

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:52 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:37 pm
solo_the_lad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:38 pm That is to tip the top of the glass further in. If it’s dropped you need to raise it.

Ok. So go back to the adjustment I mentioned. You will find it also enables the glass to be moved forward.
So I made another small adjustment a few days ago, to fix the gap at the front as I previously mentioned. And then I come home from work today, to see my window shattered, still mostly in its proper position within the door. Obviously, I messed up somewhere along the way, and I know there was no external force that broke the window because it is garage kept. I believe I may have angled the window too far inwards via the bottom adjustment (even though that was the only way the window would seat properly at the top). And then perhaps there was too much stress between the lower Torx bolt and the top of the window, and then with just enough temperature difference- crack. That's my best guess anyway, figured I'd run it by you so that I can better prevent this occurrence again, as I just spent ~4 hours~ vacuuming/ air dusting all the glass out of the inside of my door :thumbsdown:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am

Wow! Never heard of that before. Sorry if my advice has caused this but I had no idea it could happen as it must be within the range that BMW allow?
Are you able to find a new glass ok?
Last edited by enuff_zed on Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Mine had this and the adjustments didnt do a whole lot. You can also move the door catch inwards and pad out the rubber door seal to make better contact.

Padding the rubber seal out solved mine.

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:49 pm

FunkyGBrown wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm Mine had this and the adjustments didnt do a whole lot. You can also move the door catch inwards and pad out the rubber door seal to make better contact.

Padding the rubber seal out solved mine.
Thanks for the advice mate, will give it a go once I get another window

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:53 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am Wow! Never heard of that before. Sorry if my advice has caused this but I had no idea it could happen as it must be with the range that BMW allow?
Still hunting for new glass, certainly not the fault of your advice though, as it was adjusted in the range that the components allowed for so it is a bit strange... maybe I overtightened the Torx bolt? Seems unlikely tho as the plastic sandwich surely wouldn't allow the glass to crack I'd think..

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm

I use one of these 1/4 drive torque wrenches to get the right tightness. Body shops are usually good at aligning doors if the door alignment is out. Years of experience with convertibles have taught me the cheapest trick is to run some black sealant along the affected area, wait till it almost sets,
20240227_130743.jpg
20240227_130743.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 111 times
and then shut the door with a bit of Vaseline over the edge to get a good seal.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:12 pm

solo_the_lad wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:53 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am Wow! Never heard of that before. Sorry if my advice has caused this but I had no idea it could happen as it must be with the range that BMW allow?
Still hunting for new glass, certainly not the fault of your advice though, as it was adjusted in the range that the components allowed for so it is a bit strange... maybe I overtightened the Torx bolt? Seems unlikely tho as the plastic sandwich surely wouldn't allow the glass to crack I'd think..
Not sure how we'd get it over to you safely, but I'm sure there are plenty of windows over here. I have a couple at least.