Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water in boot

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
1536Z4

Water in boot

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:45 pm

Maybe try using something like this rather than normal silicon https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSS310-Tetrosy ... aler-310ml .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am

1536Z4 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:45 pm Maybe try using something like this rather than normal silicon https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSS310-Tetrosy ... aler-310ml .
Thanks

I used CT1 but I think it's a bit thick, and possibly didn't work into the seam gap properly. I've removed it all and will need to try something else....so your product is a possibility.
I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the passenger drainage channel. Hosing down the driver's side, there's no leak. Same after several hours rainfall.
Any water in the passenger side channel results in drips along a seam between 2 panels underneath. I'm pretty sure it's a seam up top but I've ordered some of the white nuts with the washer included to at least rule them out.
Until I've got it sealed up, I can't put my boot trim back together
Attachments
431478634_10213141473167476_2331385976747592414_n.jpg
431478634_10213141473167476_2331385976747592414_n.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

1536Z4

Water in boot

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am

darich wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:29 am I used CT1 but I think it's a bit thick
The only other thing I can think of that might work better is a wax spray sealant like Waxoyl or Dynax that may seal better .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:52 am

I was wondering if there was a clear sealant that I could brush on. I'd mask off the body work either side of the seam and apply the sealant. Then remove the tape to give me a straight edge. But I'm not familiar with anything that would do the trick.

I'm pretty certain it's the seam....the bolts/screws are dry inside as you can see from the above image. The drip appears at the seam so I'm sure there's a gap at some point along it and the water simply finds the lowest point and drips off.

Even trying a temporary measure to seal an area to confirm that's the source is tricky.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

1536Z4

Water in boot

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm

darich wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:52 am I was wondering if there was a clear sealant that I could brush on
I`ve searched the internet but cant find a clear for automotive purposes that you can brush on . Phone a body shop and ask if they know of anything suitable :thumbsup:

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm I`ve searched the internet but cant find a clear for automotive purposes that you can brush on . Phone a body shop and ask if they know of anything suitable :thumbsup:
That's a decent shout...I might pop into a good local body shop that sponsors a group I'm for another brand. If I take the car and point to it, he might be able to recommend something. :thumbsup:
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

markprz86

Water in boot

Post by markprz86 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:57 pm

darich wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:23 pm It's been dry for the last week or so, so I've not been able to check if I'm still getting water in.
Rained today...and I've still got a leak. :headbang:
Half an inch of standing water in the floor below the storage pocket on the nearside. I've not refitted the carpets yet so it's easy to see.

On the plus side when I aim the hose at the rear quarter window, the water runs down the channel towards the rear light unit and I can see it dripping inside.

So it looks like it's coming in where the wing is bolted to the boot.
Simple answer I can see is to tape it off and put some silicon in there then pull the tape off to give me a nice straight edge. But is there a better method for fixing it if its a known problem spot??20240314_181634.jpg
Glad its sorted!

Mine came in through the bump stop literally next to this bolt and also had water pooling in the side pockets.

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:25 am

markprz86 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:57 pm
Glad its sorted!

Mine came in through the bump stop literally next to this bolt and also had water pooling in the side pockets.
Well....I'm not sure it's fixed yet!!
I spent a couple of hours yesterday on it.
Passenger side, removed the 3 torx bolts holding wing and taped off the area. I then put a good amount of CT1 sealant along the seam and worked it in with a finger.
I also put it up behind the rear light...thankfully the wife has smaller hands so she managed to reach areas I couldn't.
Car doors and boot was open for several hours yesterday so it's all dry inside, as of last night. Raining today so I'll have a check tonight and see if I have more water coming in.

As for the boot stop, I'm not sure how water can reach that....it's on a ridge which is noticeably higher than the drainage channel. Additionally, when I hose the channel, I get water dripping in. So I may have a leak there....but I definitely have a leak elsewhere!!

Hopefully tonight I'll find a dry boot and I can put everything back together in the boot.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 pm

I'm losing the will to live.

I'm struggling to source this leak.

If I bought drain tracing dye, would it stain or mark the paint?
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Z4phil

Water in boot

Post by Z4phil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:31 am

Hi there … I feel your pain, going through a very similar process. Stumbled across your thread. My Z4 e85 is definitely getting water in from the top area of the boot near the UK drivers side rear wheel arch.

Water is pooling in the area in the right hand side well behind the light. My car hasn’t moved so I dried the whole area out and removed the carpet in that area and trim. Pegged back the foam insulation so it’s not in near the rear light or air vent.

I cleaned out the drain whole on that side. And the foam that is around the strut are is wet (after I completely dried it out by leaving a hit drier on it for an hour) I’m thinking it’s either the roof seal or I haven’t cleaned the drain correctly. As I did that from the bottom, wheel off, with a piece of 2.5mmm single core wire. It was completely clean and the previous owner said he did it last year.

I’ve read the if the seal on the hood gets perished or the sealant used dries out this can be an issue

My car is always parked nose up as I parked it nose down and it leaked through the front drivers door seal.

This is my second car at the moment but will become my “daily driver soon” hoping to fix over the bank holiday weekend ….. fingers crossed.

I’ll keep a look out for any suggested fixes that I’ve not already read up on.

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm

Thanks

As I posted above, I've put more sealant in than before but still getting a drip in the same spot. I'm pretty stunped.
I'm temped to buy some waterproof tape and simply tape the entire channel - it's not visible with the boot closed.
Or clear resin.
Also contemplated putting the car into a bodyshop and getting them to remove the wing and refit it with appropriate sealant between the panels.

I could run some silicone along the seam inside the boot to stop the drip but I think I'd then potentially have water trapped above the sealant, between panels.

Right now, my boot is stripped on the passenger side and I can't put it back together until I'm sure it's sealed up.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Z4phil

Water in boot

Post by Z4phil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm

Yes that might help but I’m not sure that channel is intended to be watertight along that seal. I may be wrong as i’m fairly new to Z4s. If it is it’s terrible design.

Back to my similar problem. It’s been raining where I live in the UK lots in the last few days (feels like months). But in between the showers this morning I’ve done a bit more poking around. My (uk) passenger side drain was partially blocked but I still don’t think this is the root cause. I’m still leaning towards one of the seals or if like yours it is the channel leaking.

I’m either looking at getting some “caption tolly’s creeping crack cure” or some none setting silicon to put round the seals

The only other item I’ve not checked is the 3rd brake light which I feel is very unlikely as the car is sitting slightly nose up slightly leaning to the left on my driveway.

I might also seal around the vent boot holes, reseat the rear light fitting and probably a coat of silicon spray

Keep going from all the reading these can take a long while to diagnose and can be more than one leak
Last edited by Z4phil on Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z4phil

Water in boot

Post by Z4phil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:57 pm

I’ve added a picture the water circled is dripping down an pooling so if that channel is designed to be water tight that could be the same issue
Attachments
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2375.jpeg (188.79 KiB) Viewed 119 times

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Looks and sounds like you have a leak in a similar area to me. In one of my earlier pictures, taken from your circled grommet and looking upwards, the water is dripping from a seam where metal panels join. Like you, I've pulled the foam insulation out the way to stop it getting saturated (again) and have removed the grommet to let water out the bottom.

I've also bought, but not yet fitted, the white plastic nuts that the light trim screws into. I'm about 99% certain they're not the cause, but right now, I'm trying to eliminate anything I can.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Water in boot

Post by darich » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:22 pm

Z4phil, Not sure how much of this thread you've read, but I've already replaced my rear vents. To be fair, the seals were rotten and likely not very effective so replacing them wasn't a bad idea, but I've still got dripping water.

I can see the seam where the drip comes from but tracing it back is not easy.

I can't imagine that drainage channel between boot lid and wing is meant to let wat go between the panels, but I could be wrong.
What's maybe comforting is that I thought I had a leak as a result of previous (unknown) accident damage. But if you have a leak from the same spot, then it's probably unlikely that we'd have the same faulty repair.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe