Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Lights on all the time.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:02 pm

Not posted anything here for more than a few years.

I noticed the other day that the brake lights on my car were on all the time. As I wasn’t planning on using it I simply disconnected the battery.
If I reconnect the battery the lights come on, so I figured it was probably just a faulty switch but, when I start the car they go off and appear to work normally with the brake pedal.
So I’m picking up 12v to the lights somehow, anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:02 pm

Welcome back Richard- long time since you’ve been on, great to hear you still have your Z. Has the battery run low at all?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:02 pm

Replace the brake pedal switch. Only cheap and good place to start to rule that out
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Car lives on a Ctec, it’s possible the battery is on the way out.
My first thoughts were the switch but why would they be on and then work normally with the key jn position 1, I’m wondering more along the lines of a faulty relay?
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 pm

RichardG wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:27 pm Car lives on a Ctec, it’s possible the battery is on the way out.
My first thoughts were the switch but why would they be on and then work normally with the key jn position 1, I’m wondering more along the lines of a faulty relay?
Checked the fuses? Blown can cause brakes on, e.g. cruise control.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.