Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Seats- now resolved (base transplant)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

E89 Seats- help please

Post by B21 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:21 am

True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:50 am
B21 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am
True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.

To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:
I genuinely hope you really enjoy your new display after the massive headache you’re having… my new company car has this type of thing fitted from the factory and it’s useful to a point.

1st world problems …and all that :thumbsup: :rofl:
Of course fully appreciate that..I liked so much your description of the Yellow Peril I’ve adopted it as an alternative nom de plume :thumbsup:

With 550 BHP , 700nm more tech etc it’s a pretty apposite description .. :rofl: :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

E89 Seats- help please

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm

True-Blue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:28 am Admire the dedication and teamwork here, but this seems like a lot of effort just for electric seats :o

Heated, I get completely, but I’ve never seen electric seats as a ‘must have’ really.
I can't answer for Ian, but when I did this exact mod years ago I did it for one reason only. My wife also drives my Z from time to time and as she is 5'4" and I'm not! I don't want to be adjusting the drivers seat all the time, so memory seats are perfect, one button each.
I totally get it for a one person car, no-one to ever drive it other than the owner, absolutely no need :thumbsup:

Having seen hundreds, literally, of other E89's it's amazing to see what the first owner thought was a priority and what they could live without, even more so when you see the price list from the time. Seat Heating, for example, considering this is the UK and we don't have the warmest climate. The factory price was £290, this is an open top car, it keeps your bum warm :rofl:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by bigwinn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:42 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm

I can't answer for Ian, but when I did this exact mod years ago I did it for one reason only. My wife also drives my Z from time to time and as she is 5'4" and I'm not! I don't want to be adjusting the drivers seat all the time, so memory seats are perfect, one button each.
I totally get it for a one person car, no-one to ever drive it other than the owner, absolutely no need :thumbsup:

Having seen hundreds, literally, of other E89's it's amazing to see what the first owner thought was a priority and what they could live without, even more so when you see the price list from the time. Seat Heating, for example, considering this is the UK and we don't have the warmest climate. The factory price was £290, this is an open top car, it keeps your bum warm :rofl:
I keep an eye on the e46 market as they are a favourite of mine

The amount that weren’t specced with heated seats is at least 80% as an estimate

Crazy- it makes such a difference

Having said that I do need to do your heated steering wheel mod… going to look what wheels are compatible with my e86…!
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm I can't answer for Ian, but when I did this exact mod years ago I did it for one reason only. My wife also drives my Z from time to time and as she is 5'4" and I'm not! I don't want to be adjusting the drivers seat all the time, so memory seats are perfect, one button each.
Only had one project car with electric seats, an E85. I am convinced they don't drop quite as low and I do like the legs out straight position when I'm driving.
However, the big benefit was for Vall. She finds that being short and having the seat forward, combined with the doors not opening very wide, it is a bit of a faff getting in and out.
With the electric seats I set position 1 for me, 2 for her and 3 right back.
So whoever got out selected position 3 first to make it easier to get in and out. Then when we got in we preseed our own number.
Worked a treat.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

IRD

E89 Seats- help please

Post by IRD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:12 pm

To be fair, this seems like a sensible and modest project compared to the replacement of the instrument cluster with an LED Tv in the banana coloured space shuttle.

I hope you get this sorted ASAP Ian :thumbsup:
When I had the red 3.5is my good lady wouldn’t drive it. She was a bit frightened of the power. However, she really enjoys the 2litre and thus I have to keep adjusting the seats. The manual height adjustment particularly is a real pain. So having electric adjustment with the memory feature will make life much easier and me less grumpy when I go to drive the car and find the seat settings need changing.
Thanks for the good wishes. I really appreciate all the help I have had from the Forum. 👍

AnubisZed

E89 Seats- help please

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:00 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 pm ...
So whoever got out selected position 3 first to make it easier to get in and out. Then when we got in we preseed our own number.
Worked a treat.
Yeah, similar here, Angie always puts it back to my position to get out :driving:
Dave

AnubisZed

E89 Seats- help please

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:02 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:42 pm ....

Having said that I do need to do your heated steering wheel mod… going to look what wheels are compatible with my e86…!
Here's the quick pdf I made for someone else, I'm currently still in the process of making the video (almost done)...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4fzazyx3 ... rli5j&dl=0
Dave

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by bigwinn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:02 pm
bigwinn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:42 pm ....

Here's the quick pdf I made for someone else, I'm currently still in the process of making the video (almost done)...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4fzazyx3 ... rli5j&dl=0
Thank you Dave!!

I’m going to google what looks compatible wheel wise

EWS Delete PM me

IRD

E89 Seats- help please

Post by IRD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:10 pm

As Pondrew said. This is a very expensive place to spend time. The possibilities are almost endless for spending more money. I had never really thought much about a heated steering wheel until Dave mentioned how much he enjoyed having one and then of course there is still the exhaust improvement I am looking for. Not to mention the CSL wheels which I absolutely love. I was looking at a photograph of Nigel’s E89 today which just confirmed how much I do like them. I’m not sure which will come first divorce or bankruptcy. 🤣 :oops: :oops:

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by True-Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:34 pm

IRD wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:10 pm As Pondrew said. This is a very expensive place to spend time. The possibilities are almost endless for spending more money. I had never really thought much about a heated steering wheel until Dave mentioned how much he enjoyed having one and then of course there is still the exhaust improvement I am looking for. Not to mention the CSL wheels which I absolutely love. I was looking at a photograph of Nigel’s E89 today which just confirmed how much I do like them. I’m not sure which will come first divorce or bankruptcy. 🤣 :oops: :oops:
If divorce comes first bankruptcy will follow imminently :headbang:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by bigwinn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:36 pm

IRD wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:10 pm As Pondrew said. This is a very expensive place to spend time. The possibilities are almost endless for spending more money. I had never really thought much about a heated steering wheel until Dave mentioned how much he enjoyed having one and then of course there is still the exhaust improvement I am looking for. Not to mention the CSL wheels which I absolutely love. I was looking at a photograph of Nigel’s E89 today which just confirmed how much I do like them. I’m not sure which will come first divorce or bankruptcy. 🤣 :oops: :oops:
We all know Angela is very tolerant….

EWS Delete PM me

AnubisZed

E89 Seats- help please

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:36 pm We all know Angela is very tolerant….
So's my Angela as well :rofl: :driving:
Dave

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E89 Seats- help please

Post by bigwinn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:18 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:02 pm
bigwinn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:36 pm We all know Angela is very tolerant….
So's my Angela as well :rofl: :driving:
Maybe we all need an Angela

🤫🤫🤫

EWS Delete PM me

IRD

E89 Seats- help please

Post by IRD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:54 pm

I must say that my Angela may have her faults BUT being wrong isn’t one of them. This I know from many years experience. As she would say”I would agree with you but then we’d both be wrong”.
I have learned the art of survival enshrined in the saying “happy wife, happy life!” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jollyjoiner

E89 Seats- help please

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:00 pm

I would just like to add one small detail to the wheels Ian, mine are replica 1M wheels which are 359 style and not the csl wheels, there is a difference 😉
I would hate you to order the wrong ones 🤣
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)