Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airco compressor, does it matter which engine it comes from?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:02 pm

Been a while from my end. To prep for summer, i need to swap out my airco compressor (makes a whining rattling sound when its switched on + doesnt cool the interior) however, i was wondering if there's a difference between the Calsonic compressor used in the pre-LCI M54 engine or LCI N52?

Found a breaker that has the airco from both engines, of course the one from the N52 looks a bit newer as it was pulled from a 2006 Z4.

Below are the pictures and part numbers for both.
Snag_f9ab0a.png
Snag_f9ab0a.png (314.37 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Snag_f9b913.png
Snag_f9b913.png (246.06 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Both compressors come from a 2.5L Z4
Snag_fa9d97.png
Snag_fa9d97.png (21.94 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Secondly, would you recommend a new 3rd party compressor over a used one from a breaker? Definitely not considering a new one from BMW.
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

fredej

Post by fredej » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:49 am

I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. To start with, is the dimensions of the pully the same?

I had to change my a/c compressor on my coupé (N52) and went with a used unit. Once installed, I could see there was a small leakage from the shaft seal.
So I ended up replacing it with a brand new unit from BMW. It got rather expensive.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:50 am

Real OEM will show you the compatible part numbers and if they have been superseded.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am

Sorry, can't help any further with this, but I'd suspect the non-cooling may be due to a lack of refrigerant. Of course that could be leaking from within the compressor: and you'll need to replenish it after the swap anyway.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

NaweedMustafa

Post by NaweedMustafa » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:54 am

Hmm, didn't logically think about the pulley dimensions, thanks!

@enuff_zed that was indeed my initial hunch, but as per the garage, the refrigerant wasn't too low (but was definitely on the low side), so that was topped up. A pressure test was performed and as per their investigation, no leaks. they only noticed the pressure of cooling (not sure what the real term is) was not high enough.

I may go for an aftermarket option as I am not too sure about the seals and lubrication levels on the used part. it is going for €70 so that is suspiciously low.

I normally go for OEM parts on the engine specifically but aftermarket airco pump should be alright i guess? its really just an additional accessory so i dont see it as a huge issue to save some costs there
Current: 2003 3.0is | Sterling Grey | Dream Red
Previous: Bicycle. Never owned a car before

Dark Diggler

Post by Dark Diggler » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:58 am

Could it not just be the pulley that's goosed? It's a clutch pulley isnt it? so if the clutch has gone it will whine and the compressor won't work properly, I don't have any actual knowledge of this issue, it's just a thought!