Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Where to get hydraulic steering conversion done?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Have got all the necessary parts but have concluded it's beyond my knowledge. Have tried zed shed but can't get anyone to pick up the phone for love nor money.

Anyone know anywhere else that does it? I live in London but happy to travel anywhere within the uk

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Try Matt at ETA motorsport brands Hatch
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Good luck, I could only get Zed Shed to do mine
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:23 pm

j3nks79 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:12 pm Try Matt at ETA motorsport brands Hatch
Cheers, will give him a ring
thecremeegg wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:20 pm Good luck, I could only get Zed Shed to do mine
Yeah that's my worry, don't want to have gone through the time and effort of securing the parts for them not to be fitted. How many places did you try out of interest?

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:08 pm

Tried a few local garages, none of them were interested as it's effectively bespoke work. There are probabaly places out there that would entertain it but I didn't find them. I have also used Mike at the Zed Shed a few times before and been pleased with the work so I didn't mind the 4 hour drive hah!
If you wanted to take a look at mine then you're welcome (though it's up for sale!), depending where in London you are?

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:50 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:08 pm Tried a few local garages, none of them were interested as it's effectively bespoke work. There are probabaly places out there that would entertain it but I didn't find them. I have also used Mike at the Zed Shed a few times before and been pleased with the work so I didn't mind the 4 hour drive hah!
If you wanted to take a look at mine then you're welcome (though it's up for sale!), depending where in London you are?
Would love for Mike to do it but have been calling for months without answer. It's really not something I want to touch myself being such important components to, you know... Keeping me alive :rofl:

I would be interested to know your opinion on how much different it feels from eps?

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:13 pm

Have you messaged him on FB as he usually responds pretty fast on there.
The steering has a lot more weight to it, so low speed manouevering is harder but made up for it on the road as it just inspires much more confidence for me. That could be because my old EPS was so bad that anything is an improvement though :rofl:

Like I said, if you can get to the Farnham area you're welcome to try mine.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:36 pm

bigwinn! The next string for your bow??
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:36 pm bigwinn! The next string for your bow??
Or you, enuff_zed?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 pm

It might be worth contacting "Joycey" (Lee) on here as I believe he is based somewhere near Basingstoke and is a serial Z fixer from what I've heard!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:21 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:36 pm bigwinn! The next string for your bow??
Or you, enuff_zed?
Tbh, if Stuart and I lived closer to each other I think we'd have a 'shed' by now.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:21 pm
Or you, enuff_zed?
Tbh, if Stuart and I lived closer to each other I think we'd have a 'shed' by now.
:thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:59 pm

thecremeegg wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:13 pm Have you messaged him on FB as he usually responds pretty fast on there.
The steering has a lot more weight to it, so low speed manouevering is harder but made up for it on the road as it just inspires much more confidence for me. That could be because my old EPS was so bad that anything is an improvement though :rofl:

Like I said, if you can get to the Farnham area you're welcome to try mine.
Cheers mate, will try him on facebook :thumbsup: My EPS at the moment is borderline dangerous the way it twitches above 60, I'd rather have no power steering at all by this point.
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:58 pm It might be worth contacting "Joycey" (Lee) on here as I believe he is based somewhere near Basingstoke and is a serial Z fixer from what I've heard!
Thanks mate, will give him a go!
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:21 pm
Or you, enuff_zed?
If you ever decide to, I'll be your first customer :lol:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:38 pm

Joycey has new premises with a great garage, but I think he operates more as a collective of enthusiasts rather than as a workshop. Worth a try though.

If you want a professional fitment, you could try RBM in Hook.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

It is not all that difficult to do yourself as I did in 2016. The total time in my case was 8 hours. I had a garage so could take my time. If you have access to a garage I am sure you could persuade a mobile mechanic to do the work.