Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers Window Issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:16 pm

I need some advice, it's a long story, but the detail may help.

Today I fitted my replacement driver's side wing and door. The door came with all parts, airbag unit, window, motor, the lot.

All went well; the car looks great, and I've finally fixed the panel gaps. I plugged everything in, but the driver's electric window won't move. I can hear the relay working, I've tested the power at the multiplug where it comes through the door, and there is power there. The motor works as I have connected it directly to a spare battery, and the window goes up and down. The plug to the motor seems to have 12v, whether the switch is on or not, which is strange.

The problem is, I left the door outside over the weekend, lying down, shiny side up. The electrics should be fine. I used some contact cleaner to clean the multiplug and dried it out with a hairdryer, just in case there was any dampness in there. So maybe it's water damage.

I've given up now, it's dark and wet, I've even had to buy a car cover as the window isn't sealing properly because it won't drop when the door is opened and the weather seal is off as well. Any ideas?
Stereo off, straight six is all the music I need!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Is the donor door the same age as your car? Only thing I can think of (I doubt it will be water issues) is that pre vs facelift are different plugs.

In the am it may be worth checking the pins align to the right wires
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:20 pm

Yes, It's the same age. I'm thinking of putting my old door back on, I've just seen how hard it is to change the door locks over!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 pm

GreySquirrel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:20 pm Yes, It's the same age. I'm thinking of putting my old door back on, I've just seen how hard it is to change the door locks over!
Are you kidding? Door locks are easy.
And it's not difficult to swap the loom if you need to.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by bigwinn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:23 pm

Drivers is a PITA to change the lock but doable

Easier job to change the motors over

Was the old one working ok?

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:24 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:23 pm Drivers is a PITA to change the lock but doable
Noooo!
What are you guys doing.
20 minutes tops!

GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:42 pm

So maybe not a complete loss then. I'm stuck and don't know what to do from here, will sleep on it I think. So I may need to change the door loom? Perhaps the pins are different on the trim level of the donor car. And locks are not too bad to change? A video I watched suggested that the window and window motor need to come out. I've been beating myself up about this as the car was fine before other than failed lacquer on the wing and top of the door. Now the lock is wrong, the window doesn't work, and I've got the airbag light on as I forgot to disconnect the flipping battery! And it was all going so well!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:50 pm

The door lock itself requires the outer handle removed, then a grub screw released. Key inserted, twisted and pulled out. That’s it

GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 pm

Sounds easy! But I don't have the donor car key :x

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:06 pm

GreySquirrel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:02 pm Sounds easy! But I don't have the donor car key :x
Screwdriver!

GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Ok, would that turn it?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:19 pm

GreySquirrel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:07 pm Ok, would that turn it?
Hammer the beggar in

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by MikeyH » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 pm

The pins for pre face lift and post face lift are different and won’t fit together. The motors are a different colour also, one white, the other black. Have you made sure that the lifter wires are properly on the spools and not jamming in your new door? Can you manually lift the window by hand and is it behind the window mechanism? If it has been in a parcel has it become jiggled and things become out of place?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

GreySquirrel

Drivers Window Issues

Post by GreySquirrel » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm

You are all a very knowledgeable lot, and I am proud to be part of this group! I decided to change the loom but noticed immediately that, as MikeyH said, my old window motor is white and the donor car one is black. Mine has a 6-pin connector, the other uses just 2 pins. So I need to swap the motors and regulators over as well. Doesn't look to be too tricky, I've got the loom out already. Not sure how I can drop the window though, to access the bolt that holds the glass in place without the door in the car.

I just hope I haven't damaged any electrical stuff by using the incorrect plug!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a long way away, but it's there!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Drivers Window Issues

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:50 pm

GreySquirrel wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 pm You are all a very knowledgeable lot, and I am proud to be part of this group! I decided to change the loom but noticed immediately that, as MikeyH said, my old window motor is white and the donor car one is black. Mine has a 6-pin connector, the other uses just 2 pins. So I need to swap the motors and regulators over as well. Doesn't look to be too tricky, I've got the loom out already. Not sure how I can drop the window though, to access the bolt that holds the glass in place without the door in the car.

I just hope I haven't damaged any electrical stuff by using the incorrect plug!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's a long way away, but it's there!
You don't need to remove the regulator, just swap the motors over. Three torx screws that you can get to with the glass up.
If the glass is down just put a battery across the two thickest wires on the motor and it should wind up.