Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW E85 - Drive Shaft Clunk on Acceleration - Replacment Part Quality Question

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm

JordanSecure wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:31 am
patriot66 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:31 pm I always try to torque bolts wherever possible. I use this E46 Torque Guide.
Hey, quick update.
I have the car on blocks, and the drive shaft dropped. For future reference, the ribbed torx screws (x4) that secure the drive shaft to the differential input are torx socket size E12

I am ready to grease the input flange, but I need to remove the differential input nut first. There is not much clear information on the size or torque required for this nut.
I measured it and it seems to be around 1 3/16" which lands closest to 30mm

Nut:

Any idea about the torque or size for this nut?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
IIRC it's 30mm and a thin-wall socket is needed or grind some metal of an old/cheap one. Go back and look at Steps 6, 7 and 8 again. You have to mark the nut, loosen it and carefully count how many turns until it can be removed. Upon reassembly wind it back on the same amount of turns until your marks line up. Fit a new securing washer and stake it into the 2 opposite indents. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

JordanSecure

Post by JordanSecure » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm

patriot66 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm IIRC it's 30mm and a thin-wall socket is needed or grind some metal of an old/cheap one. Go back and look at Steps 6, 7 and 8 again. You have to mark the nut, loosen it and carefully count how many turns until it can be removed. Upon reassembly wind it back on the same amount of turns until your marks line up. Fit a new securing washer and stake it into the 2 opposite indents.
Dear Patriot66

I have finally completed the repair, thank you for all your help through this procedure! The information you provided really helped me complete this project.
The car now is very quiet and no more clank!!! I will see how long this lasts. Please take a look at this thread I just created about the whole procedure, parts, tools, greasing, and more! viewtopic.php?t=146371

Thank you again!!

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm

JordanSecure wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:51 pm
patriot66 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:19 pm IIRC it's 30mm and a thin-wall socket is needed or grind some metal of an old/cheap one. Go back and look at Steps 6, 7 and 8 again. You have to mark the nut, loosen it and carefully count how many turns until it can be removed. Upon reassembly wind it back on the same amount of turns until your marks line up. Fit a new securing washer and stake it into the 2 opposite indents.
Dear Patriot66

I have finally completed the repair, thank you for all your help through this procedure! The information you provided really helped me complete this project.
The car now is very quiet and no more clank!!! I will see how long this lasts. Please take a look at this thread I just created about the whole procedure, parts, tools, greasing, and more! viewtopic.php?t=146371

Thank you again!!
Good news ! :thumbsup: Happy to help and glad you got it sorted :driving:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !