Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hols

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:16 pm

Since getting our g29, I’ve been thinking of doing a road trip in early July for a couple of weeks, we’ve discussed going down south,or Europe, which I’ve done quite a few times but mainly with mates on bikes then my wife suggested Southern Ireland.
Has anyone got any advise or routes to follow, ideally maybe a base in the south that we can do some day trips from,
Quite happy if it’s a static caravan, cottage, b&b.
Any thoughts appreciated
M40i sapphire black,tech,comfort shadow line.

r2uzenblot

Hols

Post by r2uzenblot » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:00 pm

Done Southern Ireland on a bike a few times. Head for the South West via Rosslare. Stay around the Kenmare or Killarney area and you are set up for the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle. Horseshoe Pass and Bantry Bay are both worth a look and you can hop over to some offshore islands. People are so friendly but make sure that you have good breakdown cover as facilities for basics like a puncture are few and far between (as I found out on a bike). Main roads are generally very good, back roads not....... Remember it always rains in Southern Ireland so top down will be hit and miss (LOL). We are not in the EU so the price of things is Highlands and beyond prices.
Accommodation is up to you with hotels, self catering and more basic options.
You will love it I'm sure.
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info, I check out those out routes, still on bmw warranty so should be okay with breakdown cover.
Cheers

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hols

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 am

Ireland is a massively underrated Country. Been there many times (including my honeymoon). They speak the lingo (sort of) and there are so many beautiful places to see.
Don't know where you are but either Holyhead to Dublin, or Fishguard to Rosslare.
Ireland is bigger than it seems too so don't try to do the lot in one go! :wink:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:31 pm

I’m in Fife, Pondy so would probably sail from Stranraer, i have been over to the north west races on the bike lots of times but only once to the south and never with the car and wife, so just looking for some tips.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Hols

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:04 pm

We’ve looked at doing both and was advised by a Southern Ireland Zed owning resident not to bother :lol: roads very slow and congested, hotels & B&B’s fecking extortionate. We’re off to Spain and Portugal instead this summer :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:51 pm

Hi Andy, you’re the second person to say the same thing, looks like we’re going to Europe.
    Last year we hired a motor home and did some of the 500, so this year I’m hopeful for some sun somewhere.
    On another note I’m going to miss the breakfast meet as we are baby sitting in Forres that weekend, I was looking forward to meeting some of the guys from here, next time though.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Hols

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:13 am

I did a few business trips to Ireland a decade or more ago, flying into Dublin and Cork (much more relaxed) because there weren't any to Shannon any more. :(

The scenery was great, but the roads were appalling even compared to the UK! I even felt sorry for the hire cars I had. :lol:

I really wouldn't go there for a driving trip, but at least I didn't notice any rented motor homes getting in the way like they do on the NC500. :headbang:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the reply’s guys, I’m going to look at various destinations in the next few weeks.
    Andy, have you decided on a ferry route or do you use the Chunnel?

brillomaster

Hols

Post by brillomaster » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:23 pm

Funnily enough me and my dad are off to South West Ireland in June... looking forward to it. Hopefully find a few nice roads though in the 330d not the 2 seater so less of a concern.

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:40 pm

Looking forward to a little report on your return Brillomaster.

pvr
    Legend
    Legend

Hols

Post by pvr » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:17 pm

Spent 3 years on a project in the Cork area and Dublin and went through 3 rentals as they got wrecked on the roads (or lack of) there. Some nice sights but would never take my own car there.
    Current:
    911-50 Black - unique spec
    X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
    Abarth 595 Comp.
    Golf Clipper - collectors item
    Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
    VW ID.3

Previous:
    Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
    Z4 3.0 Toledo

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Hols

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:51 am

Hut man wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:26 pm Thanks for all the reply’s guys, I’m going to look at various destinations in the next few weeks.
    Andy, have you decided on a ferry route or do you use the Chunnel?
    We’re going Portsmouth to Santander this time, previously did Chunnel over, drove through France and then around Spain and the ferry back Santander to Plymouth.

We don’t like boats particularly but Southern France/Spain just makes sense to do it that way. Crossing was great and more importantly the OH liked it :D We’re £1400 return this year in the nicer cabin with lounge access . I felt it was very expensive when first used but haven’t driven and ferried the same route pretty cost neutral and saves the long haul back through :thumbsup: Spain and extra miles/wear on the cars :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Hut man

Hols

Post by Hut man » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info Andy, I have thought about the Santander Ferry but didn’t realise the cost, when I mentioned the cost to Sharon , she said will we just fly😂😂.
      Anyway food for thought, I’ve also fancied a trip to SPA to see some classic bike races or GT racing, so more research required.

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer
      Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Hols

Post by B21 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:29 pm

Hut man wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:12 pm Thanks for the info Andy, I have thought about the Santander Ferry but didn’t realise the cost, when I mentioned the cost to Sharon , she said will we just fly😂😂.
      Anyway food for thought, I’ve also fancied a trip to SPA to see some classic bike races or GT racing, so more research required.
      I did Spa in 2018 in a yellow peril for the F1..great part of the world, fab circuit..very do-able from the Chunnel..take in the Battle of the Bulge sites from WWII :thumbsup:
      We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
      A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: