Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E85 new owner!

First port of call for new members
Sunerou

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Sunerou » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:18 pm

Hi

A couple months ago I had need of a new sensible daily driver, so like any level headed individual I purchased myself a 2004 E85 2.5i with only 60k miles on it. it seems to be a fairly low spec car as it has standard non heated seats, no cruise control, the standard "BMW Buisness Radio" and no wind deflector, though i must admit i dont know what else to look for in terms of optional extras.

The previous owner had reloacted the roof motor, swapped the rear box for a straight pipe and fitted terrible aftermarket LED bulbs "in an attempt to make the headlights better".

I have since replaced the bulbs with halfords 200% brighter "normal" bulbs, which are substantially better, although the car sounded great without the backbox it was horrendously loud and headache inducing at 70mph, so that has been replaced wiht a Powerflow backbox, its still sounds great and has a bit of burble, but doesnt make me want to start aiming at oncomming traffic on long drives :lol:

as for things i still need (or want) to get sorted,

the roof could use a decent clean, disinfect (its starting to go green around the rear window) and re-waterproof, i have previously owned a Mazda MX-5 and had to do similar to its mohair roof, so i plan to give this the same treatment, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

The drivers side headlight fogs up and seems to be letting water in, so i need to either replace or re-seal it.

I want to fit cruise control (i just need the stalk)

I want to get a wind deflector set (My MX-5 had a small fold-down one and it made quite a bit of difference so im assuming the Z4 one will make a huge difference)

the BMW badge on the boot has been replaced at some poiint in its life and is ona serious wonk, so at some point ill sort that, and get the wheel refurbished. thoguh those are both purley cosmetic so im in no great rush on those.

figured is share this pic showing all three of my cars (I may have a problem) the Red Citroen C4, Silver Z4.
bonus imaginary internet points if anyone can guess whats under the silver cover (a little help is the body is under the silver cover, the chassis for that car is under the blue sheet 3ft below the body)

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by paddy wright » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:28 pm

Welcome- lovely Z and great to see you getting sorted. Any help you need you will find on here. The mystery car- esprit?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Zedebee » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:31 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Aside from the trim, there wasn’t a massive option list. Cruise control, cup holders, upgraded (10-spkr) hifi, rear parking sensors (PDC), xenon headlights, storage nets, steering wheel controls. You can upgrade these yourself with various degrees of difficulty and/or change the interior trim. You can upgrade the suspension to M-Sport (although more of a choice than an upgrade). There are plenty of wheel choices and it’s really worthwhile upgrading to M-Sport seats if you don’t have them, although this will cost you a few hundred pounds.

My guess is Lotus Excel.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by MikeyH » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:08 pm

Welcome to the money pit forum, :D nice looking zed. The others forgot to mention a stubby aerial :evil: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:13 pm

Scimitar?
Oh, are those pop up headlights?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by buzyg » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:41 pm

Welcome to the world of Z4. :)

Always been a fan of Lotus, thinking an Eclat may be hiding under that cover.

Sunerou

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Sunerou » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:21 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

mine does have the cup holders, so i guess thats one option it has... it doesnt have anything else though...
Maybe over time i'll look into slowly adding options and various bits too it, the footwell nets maybe a good idea as i do a fair amount of long distance driving (about two weeks ago i did a ~400mile round trip to lincoln and back) and i dont imagine they will be too expenisve in the grand scheme of things. a stubby arial is also on my list of things to get, as I dont use the radio anyway (I fitted a bluetooth adaptor) so im not worried about the marginally worse reception.

as for the covered car, you guys are really close, the eclat and the scimitar guesses in particular. im enjoying seeing the guesses so i'll keep stringing it along for a little bit. Too add to the help though its got a 2.0l 4cylinder engine, and is as you all seemed to guess is british built.

(Also, yes, those are pop ups)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:56 pm

Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

If the car under the cover isn't a Lotus Excel or Eclat might it be an Esprit?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:57 pm

Pinto engine?
Ginetta?
G26?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Wayo11

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Wayo11 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:57 pm

Welcome!

M1?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by MikeyH » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:03 am

Yes I’m going for a Lotus Eclat 2.0 also.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

coldel

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by coldel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:14 pm

Looking more at the height of the headlights and the extended back maybe a 75 Lotus Elite?

In any case welcome to the club :thumbsup:
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Sunerou

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Sunerou » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pm

coldel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:14 pm Looking more at the height of the headlights and the extended back maybe a 75 Lotus Elite?
Ding Ding Ding Ding!! We have a Winner!! Enjoy your bonus imaginary internet points!!

She is indeed a 1975 Lotus Elite undergoing a slow, but full restoration.

coldel

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by coldel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:24 pm

:winner:

Nice resto project that.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 E85 new owner!

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:40 pm

Sunerou wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:17 pm Ding Ding Ding Ding!! We have a Winner!! Enjoy your bonus imaginary internet points!!
Got here too late! I was going to say Elite, or Eclat, or Excel. I had a 1984 Excel many moons ago. I loved it. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!