Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GoPro Hero8 track day stabilisation setting advice please

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Hi, just after a bit of advice re GoPro stabilisation settings for track days.

I've a Hero8 and pleased with position I mounted it high on the console between the seats. I use 1080P and 60fps as don't need higher quality as just for own viewing.

I use the Linear lens as the Wide lens just seems to give more helmet either side of the frame. I have it zoomed in slightly to give more of the windscreen and less cabin/handbrake. I also lock the exposure on the windscreen.

Last track day I did was in Dec and first at Donington and I accidentally selected 'Boost' image stabilisation mode which really cropped the image a lot and gives a weird panning effect!

https://youtu.be/jK9vN5H596o

The other image stabilisation options are either 'on' or 'high' and both of these include minimal cropping (10%) according to GoPro. What stabilisation setting do others run? I imagine quality suffering from vibrations if it's switched off but I'd like to avoid the annoying panning effect from image being cropped!

Thanks for any advice
Last edited by JSz4 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beanie

Post by beanie » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:51 am

Im a bit of a noob at the video stuff but I found on my go-pro (6) the image stabilisation reduces the sense of speed and gives that slightly weird floating effect at times.

A narrower field of view will also reduce the speed sensation as you don’t get the sides of the scenery rushing past to the same degree. Probably not so important when filming from inside the car as a lot of that is lost anyway.

When the weather clears up I’m going to have a crack at it without any IS and see what happens
RUBYIMOLACARBON

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:42 pm

beanie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:51 am Im a bit of a noob at the video stuff but I found on my go-pro (6) the image stabilisation reduces the sense of speed and gives that slightly weird floating effect at times.

A narrower field of view will also reduce the speed sensation as you don’t get the sides of the scenery rushing past to the same degree. Probably not so important when filming from inside the car as a lot of that is lost anyway.

When the weather clears up I’m going to have a crack at it without any IS and see what happens
Thanks Beanie, think I'll try IS off next time, I tried IS on 'on' and 'high' today and both seemed to give the same weird floating effect from cropping the image when corning.

I might try the Wide lens, when I don't have a passenger, as you suggested. They seem to really eat through batteries don't they?!

beanie

Post by beanie » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:05 pm

There’s bound to be ways of keeping the frame position locked but I don’t know if it’s possible with the go pro or if it needs some fancier editing software.

Battery life is definitely not an all day/multiple hours thing. I’ve been meaning to get a spare for a while but I’m a born procrastinator!
RUBYIMOLACARBON