Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

FOR SALE Immaculate e86 manual 31k miles

Buying and selling Z4's (VEHICLE SALES ONLY) (private sales only, no traders)
Fred Smith

Immaculate e86 manual 31k miles

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:48 am

Nuts wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:53 pm
I looked at the blue e86 just sold with 34k miles on it. It had two bad patches of corrosion on the front and back drivers side wing and wheel arch. Underneath wasn’t clean either and patches of missing history. Also Montego blue is not the most popular shade. So no, an example like mine is not readily available in top condition.

With regards your point on condition, mine is immaculate as described. Underneath is as clean as a whistle. No corrosion.

For me, an auto is just not the same proposition and not as valued. Some people don’t care, sure.
PS - Are you talking about the one that was for sale in Kent, Ashford maybe? One long term owner and one recent owner? Cream interior? Did you actually go look at it or did you just study photos?

I agree 100% on auto. My view is that if you are buying a classic, or a potential future classic, or a "drivers car" then you need to consider that a huge chunk of your potential buyers if and when you sell on are not going to want an auto

When I was looking to buy I had one absolute. No automatics.

Nuts

Post by Nuts » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

[/quote]

PS - Are you talking about the one that was for sale in Kent, Ashford maybe? One long term owner and one recent owner? Cream interior? Did you actually go look at it or did you just study photos?

[/quote]

I didn’t go in person no, but he sent me a series of in depth videos, but yes that one. It had drivers side rust and corrosion on the front and back wings and tailgate. Scratches and stone chips across the front. Having just resolved rust on my 993 Carrera 4 at an astronomical cost and effort to me, I’m pretty wise to what rust bubbling on wings means on the inside.

For people talking about the quality of my ad, just to reiterate I’ve posted it to gauge any interest in the medium term. Anyone serious, I’ll be happy to provide in depth detail. I’m not simply going to add all the detail on here only to be judged and scrutinised by the masses - like has happened already. 🤣
Z4 (2009 e86) 3.0si Man | Sapphire Black/Champagne

For sale: 911 993 C4 Coupe Man | 80k mls. Polar silver/black

Zeds gone by:
Z4 (2006 e85) 3.0si Man | Black Sapphire
Z4 (2007 e85) 3.0si Auto | Midnight Blue

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:19 pm

You are making me feel a lot better about my very recent cheap Coupe purchase! My concern is that maybe I should have spent more, maybe much more, to get one much closer to perfect... but on the basis of what you say about the blue one in Kent then even the ones that look at first glance perfect, and are priced on the high side, can be somewhat average.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:21 pm

A car that aint perfect can be enjoyed more as you wont constantly be worrying about hurting it.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Fred Smith

Post by Fred Smith » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:21 pm A car that aint perfect can be enjoyed more as you wont constantly be worrying about hurting it.
You're not wrong there! As I was looking for one I was thinking all sorts of things, including "which lovely country pub carparks are big enough that I'll be willing to take my new car there?" and planning a slightly longer route to go visit my dad that avoids some shady narrow roads. Instead I went cheap and was on those shady roads within two hours of purchase!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:30 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 pm
MikeyH wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:21 pm A car that aint perfect can be enjoyed more as you wont constantly be worrying about hurting it.
You're not wrong there! As I was looking for one I was thinking all sorts of things, including "which lovely country pub carparks are big enough that I'll be willing to take my new car there?" and planning a slightly longer route to go visit my dad that avoids some shady narrow roads. Instead I went cheap and was on those shady roads within two hours of purchase!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 pm

This is very true. I guess it depends what you use the car for, if it's going to be a daily and driven everywhere then you don't want something perfect but if you are a collector who does only a few hundred miles a year in one car (which you would have to keep the values up) and can be very picky where you taking the car to then a pristine example might make sense.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 pm

Fred Smith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 am I think that it should be common practice to provide a self-made report when you sell a car. Include a list / timeline of the service history and any other repairs or upgrades (with a note to whether or not you can back it up with evidence and what the evidence is), and the evidence as well. And loads of photos of course, and a list of what you know needs attention, however trivial (and indeed if any).

Advert just like you've done but also a "pm me for a 100 page PDF report with 100 photos and full history". If someone is a long way away a report like that might persuade them to make the journey.

I dunno... if you have a great car it makes sense to give prospective buyers every single bit of help you can in recognizing how good it is. If you are a 100% honest person who genuinely cares about the car and the buyer - and simply wishes to sell at a fair price - it makes sense to do this.
100% agree. :thumbsup:

I would go further and say there should be laws to protect the buyer against 'misrepresentation' of a car sold privately. But there isn't. The laws pertaining to traders is not really worth the paper it's written on TBH.

It's tricky, though, as no-one in their right mind is going to advertise a car as "pile of shite; £7,000" are they? :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:01 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 pm
Fred Smith wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 am I think that it should be common practice to provide a self-made report when you sell a car. Include a list / timeline of the service history and any other repairs or upgrades (with a note to whether or not you can back it up with evidence and what the evidence is), and the evidence as well. And loads of photos of course, and a list of what you know needs attention, however trivial (and indeed if any).

Advert just like you've done but also a "pm me for a 100 page PDF report with 100 photos and full history". If someone is a long way away a report like that might persuade them to make the journey.

I dunno... if you have a great car it makes sense to give prospective buyers every single bit of help you can in recognizing how good it is. If you are a 100% honest person who genuinely cares about the car and the buyer - and simply wishes to sell at a fair price - it makes sense to do this.
100% agree. :thumbsup:

I would go further and say there should be laws to protect the buyer against 'misrepresentation' of a car sold privately. But there isn't. The laws pertaining to traders is not really worth the paper it's written on TBH.

It's tricky, though, as no-one in their right mind is going to advertise a car as "pile of shite; £7,000" are they? :)

But then the car buying public are generally not stupid; especially with the amount of information at everyone's fingertips these days. Cars, like houses, can 'stick' if not advertised at the right price for the product. The very reason why people change estate agents with houses. It then comes up on the property websites as a new listing. I have seen people try to do it with cars. Take it off the market then put it back on a month later at the same price. Doesn't generally work.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

CraigP

Post by CraigP » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:46 am

I've bought and sold around 6 cars in the past 2 or 3 years from a Supra GR, 2x TTS, Z4, Focus RS, MX5 etc, and has cost me less than 3k over this period.

Call me a sceptic, but you've had the car a month and are selling it already and then describe it as immaculate and diss all the other ones on the market, eg they are not the sought after colour "Montego blue is not the most popular shade", not a manual "an auto is just not the same proposition and not as valued. Some people don’t care, sure." , rusty panels etc - not really coming from an unbiased standpoint is it?

Most car buyer businesses eg webuyanycar, carbuying group, motorpoint etc will not buy a car off a customer unless you've owned it for a minimum of 3 or 6 months just in case of issues being found by the current owner after their purchase then trying to resell it on.

When asked about why you are selling it so soon you say "I’m pretty disappointed with the power delivery. " yet you've had a E85 3.0si manual and 3.0 auto previously so you already knew exactly what the engine was like twice previouly - to me at least that makes no sense.

Or is it simply a case of buyers remorse, paid over the odds and just trying to get your money back, which I admit I have done on more than
once occasion myself when the market was buoyant after lockdown, sadly not now. Anyway good luck with your sale and at least all these viewpoints keep bumping up your ad :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:09 am

CraigP wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:46 am Anyway good luck with your sale and at least all these viewpoints keep bumping up your ad :D
TBH I don't think that is a positive for the OP as it stands. :wink:

IMO no-one is going to buy the car on the strength of this thread after the last 4 pages (partly my fault I admit).

I would start a new thread if it were mine. :)

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:20 am

I don't really have anything to add to what's already been said, I just want my 3000th post and lifer status. :thumbsup:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

coldel

Post by coldel » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 am

Nuts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

[/quote]

I didn’t go in person no, but he sent me a series of in depth videos, but yes that one. It had drivers side rust and corrosion on the front and back wings and tailgate. Scratches and stone chips across the front. Having just resolved rust on my 993 Carrera 4 at an astronomical cost and effort to me, I’m pretty wise to what rust bubbling on wings means on the inside.

For people talking about the quality of my ad, just to reiterate I’ve posted it to gauge any interest in the medium term. Anyone serious, I’ll be happy to provide in depth detail. I’m not simply going to add all the detail on here only to be judged and scrutinised by the masses - like has happened already. 🤣
[/quote]

You are of course on a forum of owners and enthusiasts such as yourself who will go one of two ways, either wish you luck or query what on earth is going on.

If you have the details to hand to send to someone who shows an interest, I would say just post those details on the for sale ad. If you only bought it a month ago and were a diligent buyer I am sure you would have saved the advert text and photos at a minimum along with any you took yourself so it should be an easy fix to post the details up. Unfortunately on such strong money and without a compelling reason for sale (power delivery, given you have owned two 3.0si previously what has surprised you about the power delivery its going to cause many a rubbing of chin) I would be surprised (but conversely happy for you) if anyone bites at all.

I think you are doing yourself no favours by posting something very brief and asking money some would argue over and above the market value (indeed it has dropped £500 I noticed). I would just forget this thread, start another one, tempt in potential buyers from that very small pool with all the detail and you might find the response somewhat more amiable :thumbsup:
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:08 pm

No point starting another thread on here, the damage has already been done.
There's always a crowd of people who will comment on the for sale threads, good or bad, who are not in the least bit interested in buying what is for sale.
It's entirely up to the seller how much they want to ask for something, if its overpriced it won't sell and it only hurts the seller, nobody else.
People really need to mind their own business when it comes to sale threads and stop slating them.
OP, I think you would be better forgetting selling here and concentrate elsewhere where you may not get the same bad vibes.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Nuts

Post by Nuts » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:49 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:08 pm No point starting another thread on here, the damage has already been done.
There's always a crowd of people who will comment on the for sale threads, good or bad, who are not in the least bit interested in buying what is for sale.
It's entirely up to the seller how much they want to ask for something, if its overpriced it won't sell and it only hurts the seller, nobody else.
People really need to mind their own business when it comes to sale threads and stop slating them.
OP, I think you would be better forgetting selling here and concentrate elsewhere where you may not get the same bad vibes.
Thanks yeah. Not really what the spirit of a forum is about. That's the thing with the British, love to tear into people and knock them down out of spite.

Think I've been pretty clear why I want to sell after a month and despite the ridiculous implications, there's zero to be negative and sceptical about. Yes as I've said, I do have buyers remorse. I romanticised about having a coupe after having several roadsters, only to find I don't really get on with it, mainly on the power front. Not really hard to comprehend that is it? Regardless, it will sell at some point for sure and, whilst I may not achieve asking, it'll go for somewhere near given what I've seen in the last few months.

After all, I was testing response. Having had a few DMs, the interest is there but I'm in the fortunate position not to be desperate, given it's a 4th car and the least of my concern.
Last edited by Nuts on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Z4 (2009 e86) 3.0si Man | Sapphire Black/Champagne

For sale: 911 993 C4 Coupe Man | 80k mls. Polar silver/black

Zeds gone by:
Z4 (2006 e85) 3.0si Man | Black Sapphire
Z4 (2007 e85) 3.0si Auto | Midnight Blue