Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nine Year Ceramic Coating

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:29 am

Well I don’t know whether I have done the right thing but I went for the GTecniq Serum Ultimate 9 year coating on the new Countryman. The finish looks good now but will it last nine years and more to the point will I be here to see out the guarantee? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
IMG_0379.jpeg
IMG_0379.jpeg (232.59 KiB) Viewed 329 times
IMG_0388.jpeg
IMG_0388.jpeg (217.58 KiB) Viewed 329 times
attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0376.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg (230.48 KiB) Viewed 329 times
IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0377.jpeg (195.22 KiB) Viewed 329 times

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:32 am

IRD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:29 am Well I don’t know whether I have done the right thing but I went for the GTecniq Serum Ultimate 9 year coating on the new Countryman. The finish looks good now but will it last nine years and more to the point will I be here to see out the guarantee?
More to the point Ian is will you still have it in 9 years?

Seems unlikely somehow!

BTW the new garage looks like a proper man cave. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:39 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:32 am
IRD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:29 am Well I don’t know whether I have done the right thing but I went for the GTecniq Serum Ultimate 9 year coating on the new Countryman. The finish looks good now but will it last nine years and more to the point will I be here to see out the guarantee?
More to the point Ian is will you still have it in 9 years?

Seems unlikely somehow!

BTW the new garage looks like a proper man cave. :thumbsup:

I promised Angela I would keep this one a bit longer Iain but I had my fingers crossed behind my back at the time. We converted the car port to a proper double garage about 18 months ago. I play nicely and it keeps off the streets and out of trouble.😇😇😇

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:06 am

I got my Z4M treated with one of the ceramic coats (after a machine correction & detail that cost over £600 in total) that was sold as suitable for daily drivers, and that after each drive I just had to simply rinse the dirt off. Would only need removing/reapplying every 2 years.

A week later I spent a day in Wales, got home and tried to rinse the dirt off...no...still filthy.

So spoke to the detailer who treated it and he told me it's not meant for lots of miles, just for those who do a couple of miles each day and get a bit 'dusty'.

His solution for my usage was a monthly detailing regime that he could do for £250/month :headbang:

Maybe they've got better since then, but I've invested too much time & money in 'miracle' detailing products, so I don't believe a word of it anymore. I'll just rinse & scrub with a gritty sponge or take it through the local Eastern European car-wash once a month, and live with the lack of lustre.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

swissfraser

Post by swissfraser » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:53 am

I'll just rinse & scrub with a gritty sponge or take it through the local Eastern European car-wash once a month
Wow, I actually got anxiety just reading that :lol:

I've had various levels of success with ceramic coatings and ultimately decided they're really not worth the effort it takes to apply them properly.

What I do recommend though is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramix Wax. Very easy to apply - spray on, rinse off - and takes 5 minutes if you've got the hose out already.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:50 pm

IRD wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:29 am will I be here to see out the guarantee?
I have to say I have always been a bit sceptical about these paint protection products. I’ve never had difficulty maintaining a shiny car with a bit of elbow grease. What does it actually guarantee?
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:03 pm

A wash and an hour with a bottle of Autoglym Ceramic saves me 600 quid :)

Reminds me when Vauxhall used to do free MOTs for life on new cars. All a bit of a nonsense.

Tim.

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:18 pm

Thanks for the observations guys. I had the last Countryman done with a three year coating and it worked well for the 18 months I owned the car. I used a pressure washer followed by snow foam, pressure washer again and then rinse with a water filter from Race Glaze and that worked really well. I found it much easier than the traditional two bucket method.
As far as the warranty goes. Checks need to be made every year, free of charge and if necessary the coating will be topped up. So we shall see. Watch this space. 🙏🙏🙏😀

coldel

Post by coldel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:49 pm

I have seen good results with ceramic coatings and washing touchless, but has to be done regularly as anything that builds up and takes a hold will be harder to shift.

Personally I see cleaning my car as something to enjoy, a nice way to switch off and spend some time on it, I use Gyeon Wet Coat along with Mothers Ceramic Shampoo for a coating, along with a snow foam for touchless cleans. Cost about 50 quid for the stuff and lasts ages.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 pm

What i have found with ceramic coating is, it definitely makes the car easier to clean, as a lot of the road grime just runs off.
My recent purchase is white, so has been put to the test.
it wont stop the car getting filthy if you encounter mud and heavy grime, but i personally find most of the grime runs off , especially if its raining.
The other big benefit is, its guaranteed against damage from birds muck or other airborne crap, and unless your a complete muppet, it wont mark up to easily.
and you dont need to polish it....
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:26 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:00 pm What i have found with ceramic coating is, it definitely makes the car easier to clean, as a lot of the road grime just runs off.
My recent purchase is white, so has been put to the test.
it wont stop the car getting filthy if you encounter mud and heavy grime, but i personally find most of the grime runs off , especially if its raining.
The other big benefit is, its guaranteed against damage from birds muck or other airborne crap, and unless your a complete muppet, it wont mark up to easily.
and you dont need to polish it....

My previous experience matches your view. Not so sure about the 9 year guarantee though. 👍

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:41 pm

9 years…?? :o

It’s either a confident company that guarantees they’ll still be in business in 9yrs or a soft lad for buying into the ‘dream’… :poke: :evil: :wink: :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:27 pm

Twice a year application of Gtechnic C2 ceramic sealant works a treat and does everything it claims.

£11.95 on Amazon and about an hour per wash and application.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:50 am

well all i can say is, it clearly helps keep the paintwork looking good, as both my previous Zeds had it, and never needed polishing after ceramic, and they both sold pretty quick, including the recent sale of my E89, which i could have sold 3 times over.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:21 am

Both my 718 Boxster and my G29 got ceramic coated. I'd do it to any premium car I was planning to keep for at least a few years.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image